SWA Interview Notes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chase

Before anyone goes over the top this isn't a thread about annoucing SWA is starting interviews....yes they are talking about it, yes there are 6 classes planned for April & May combined which equates to approximately 110-130 more folks out of the pool....sooooooo what does that mean in the way of needing more interviews...from interview to class date has been around 6+ months(varies)....could it be shortened by SWA? Of course.

For that reason there is ample reason to conclude that SWA "may" be opening up interviews in the near future (I can't define this term, suffice it to say I'm simply saying, "be ready", you don't won't to be unprepared).

That is why this reminder is coming your way....for regular readers this isn't anything novel or unique but for others new to the process here are some things to put on your "to do" list....not next week or the following week but TODAY!!!

Here is why, IF SWA opens up interviews sometime in May or June, by accomplishing this "to do" list you will have gone a long way toward relieving the stress that comes into play after you get the phone call for an interview. You'll initially hyperventilate & after coming to you'll start thinking about all the things you wish you had done already, LORs, birth certificates, transcripts, logbook prep, etc....so to relieve ERs around the country from having to treat SWA interviewees, I offer these gems of advice as passed on to me by others:

1. Raise your hand if you don't have your HS diploma within walking distance of where you are sitting right now? That doesn't mean you can call your 60 yr old mom who's resting comfortably & stressing her out as she scrambles through the old cedar chest looking for it on your behalf....get that now...same goes for birth certificate or passport...too close to Mother's day to piss her off so don't.

2. College transcript or diploma...same as above...get copies of that immediately & have it standing by....if you don't have one do you have transcripts of what you have accomplished so far from your school....don't wait for the end of the semester (get another one then), get what you have right now & have it ready to go.

3. LORs...yea, those guys will be around 24/7 whenever you need to call 'em right? Ever heard of summer vacation? Emergencies? Procrastinators? Bug 'em now, put the current date on 'em & read what they are saying about you. Maybe you need to send them a current resume or a reminder of when you flew together or even a rough draft but all of this takes time & you won't have it when the phone call comes, even if you have 3-4 weeks (some folks get only 1-2 weeks if they're called to fill in cancellations....don't go if you're not ready though..."yea brilliant chase, did you think of that on your own?" ....believe it or not some folks do & expect SWA to cut you slack because you "helped them out" by filling in the slot....sorry it doesn't work that way.)

Call your buds & talk to them to see what they are going to say even when the phone calls come (hopefully) from the background checkers....what do they really know about you that makes you a great fit for SWA? Deciding on which three or more you should ask may require some time & don't have just the three....have some backups since everyone writes differently & choose the best of the best of the best.

4. Logbook....if you can't explain it to your wife within 5 minutes, your time & how you came up with your IP, Evaluator, PIC, SIC & total, well, work on it....if you have traditional logbook have it tabbed out in a simple format showing the things that SWA wants, 1000 PIC, 2500 total, type rides (at least 737), total SIC/PIC/IP/Evaluator times & then transfer that to a simple sheet of paper so the interviewer can see what you're talking about...AF folks have it a little more simple but I'd be prepared to have all the summaries (yearly summaries) with me just in case they want to see something more than just one sheet of paper, Navy/Army have a more difficult problem but regardless, get your logbook story down & keep it simple with just the "facts" i.e. numbers

5. Review your aviation career...start thinking about the "tell me about a time stories....". You've got to be yourself & comfortable talking about your aviation career...for folks with short memories like myself it took me a little doing to recall some of the experiences I had year earlier....get on it now versus waiting for it during the stressful time after the "phone call". Sit down & answer some of these questions into a tape player, spouse & get some feedback..."does this sound like me?" If the answer is no, then you're missing the point....you're not defending a disertation, you're simply talking to someone about your aviation career & why you want to work at SWA...nothing more, nothing less....keep it simple.

6. Learn about the company, read the financial info on SWA, "NUTS", Lamar Muse's book, & others that are out there......knowing more about the company can help you determine if you & SWA are a good match or not.

7. Talk to your friends & possibly family about "you"....those within the industry that know something about SWA may be able to provide a perspective about your career & personality that because you are "too close to" realize yourself can use their help in understanding why you match up with SWA well...what do I mean? For many of us it is difficult to do a good self-anaylsis of our own personality, strengths, weaknesses...our friends & family can offer some perspective to that but can't if you don't sit down & have a serious conversation with them....a little advice....to keep them from thinking you've gone unisex on them , let them know why you're doing it....they maybe able to offer some perspective that you may not have but find useful after your discussion. Warning: doing this in a public place, ready room or squadron may result in having your callsign changed to "Mr/Mrs Sensitive":)

There is no Holy Grail path to follow for getting hired....no anonymous message board contributors, books, prep services or friends have the full proof method for presenting you in a manner that will insure success...if someone is selling you that bill of goods off the internet, at job fairs or anywhere else they are misleading you so run away quickly....my advice should be taken for what it's worth, zilch, nada, nothing because it is only one method when in fact it has already been proven there are thousands of paths to a successful interview with SWA.

There are many other folks out there that have gone through this experience & from those folks I ask that you contribute the things that helped you prepare in advance so that when the phone call came you weren't a candidate for divorce court or caused you to not have to shut down the rest of your life the weeks before the interview. Please chime in & help those folks who will soon be in the same situation.

Be yourself but it never hurts to be prepared!!! Good luck to the folks who are already on the next list to get called by SWA but don't even know it...."you may have won & you don't even know it!!!"....not a bad feeling either.....for the folks at the new hire party tonight....have a great time, hope to see you there,

Juan is correct....just confirmed there will be interviews in May...not sure of the days...thanks for the input Juan...good news for everyone!

chase said:
Juan is correct....just confirmed there will be interviews in May...not sure of the days...thanks for the input Juan...good news for everyone!

Any idea how many classes there will be in June, July?

There are projections for at least 1 or 2 I believe but that is a long time away in my opinion. Getting these new hires on the line for the summer rush to cover the higher vacation rates & surges that may occur due to weather/sick calls is a wise move....Southwest does not need a single passenger to get stranded due to shortages with pilots....the competitive environment has never been tougher & being lean when you know there is money to be made out there (along with good will!) is a wise business strategy & the right thing to do for everyone. The projections for travel this summer with higher gas prices now make driving a car a little less attractive for a family of 4 traveling 1000 miles than if one was to fly on a carrier that only increased fares $1-$3 over the last month while other carriers have increased their costs by upwards of $40....folks may re-think the "hassle factor" decide saving money & time maybe worth going to the airport that they abandoned last summer....therefore loads maybe even higher than last summers (which were good) & higher than projections....better to be ready to flex & fill 'em all up if possible.

We'll keep our fingers crossed & hope more new faces show up in Dallas & in the bases over the next few months.....good luck to all future interviewees & new hires wading in the pool....start drifting to the shallow end, you're number's about to be called!!!:)

16th of May, did you get called for a interview or is that your class date?

chase said:
There is no Holy Grail path to follow for getting hired....no anonymous message board contributors, books, prep services or friends have the full proof method for presenting you in a manner that will insure success...if someone is selling you that bill of goods off the internet, at job fairs or anywhere else they are misleading you so run away quickly....my advice should be taken for what it's worth, zilch, nada, nothing because it is only one method when in fact it has already been proven there are thousands of paths to a successful interview with SWA.

Chase,

I agree with you that there is no "Holy Grail" path to follow for getting hired - no matter what airline it is. But, I have to say that I hate to be lumped in with anyone that is selling a "bill of goods" to people to guarantee that they will be hired. I am sure that was not your purpose when you wrote this, but just the same, it is perception that counts.

I do not guarantee that anyone will be hired if they go through interview prep with me. I am not sure that anyone is telling the interview candidates that they have a "fool proof" method for getting hired. I guess I am not sure where this is coming from...

I can tell you this. In the last 6 months, I have had 14 of 16 people hired at SWA that prepped with me. I also know that AlbieF15 has been equally successful.

I teach people how to answer the questions in the correct format, with a specific beginning and ending, ask them questions from the gouge, have them answer as if I am the interviewer, tell how their current answers would most likely be perceived, explain to them how to change it and help them to practice. Sometimes getting the insight of someone who has hired before - not the insight from a spouse or friend that has never hired before - makes all the difference in the world.

However, I cannot change what experience someone has had. I know the "canned answer" thing has been beaten to death, but AlbieF15 and I do not give people canned answers. I cannot speak for Albie, but I know that I teach people how to answer the questions based upon their life experiences and we are very close in our philosophies.

I can tell you that I have the utmost respect for Albie, have consulted with him on sticky situations with some of my clients, and have received a very professional viewpoint from him. That, to me, shows real professionalism between two people that are colleagues and not competitors, with the client's best interests at heart.

If people choose to prep with me, that is great. If they choose to do it with Albie, that is great. If they choose to do it on their own, that is great. I know I have told several of my pilot clients that they do not need my help. I do not force anything on anyone.

I agree that if anyone is promising a "fool proof" method to get hired, you should run away from them.

Anyway, just my two cents..congrats to everyone that has received an interview date! :)

Kathy

Latest resources

Back