Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rtmcc74

The King Lives!
Advice solicited from those who have been there....

Starting SWA training in 3 weeks, so don't even know if I'll have a choice of home bases. I live in COS, so will be commuting out of DIA. Wondering if anyone out there does something like this, and what they've learned.

My thoughts: probably starting direct to Oakland soon, but how's the crashpad situation there? MDW has about 12 direct flights per day (SWA, UAL, Frontier) plus I hear the pads are a close walk, and not through the ghetto. PHX probably way too senior for a newbie, and BWI's a long way from the Rockies. Want to avoid the "move" option if I can; wifey's got a good job and I like the reserve unit I'm in out here.

Thanks in advance.

So a job with Southwest takes a back seat to your wife's job and weekend warrior flying? Sounds like a great career. I recommend commuting only for people who really don't like to be home. Did it for many years and hated it. Now I'm 15 minutes from employee lot to driveway. Love it!

How about just telling the wife you have to move? It sucks yeah but how much commuting abuse can you take? a 2 hr drive followed by a couple hr flight? By god man do we have sadists working for the airlines? Surely people don't enjoy this self inflicted torture? Unless the wife makes more than you will there just say commuting is not allowed or make up any lie it takes to get her to move with you.. you will be loving life that way.

rtmcc74 said:

Starting SWA training in 3 weeks, so don't even know if I'll have a choice of home bases. I live in COS, so will be commuting out of DIA. Wondering if anyone out there does something like this, and what they've learned.

My thoughts: probably starting direct to Oakland soon, but how's the crashpad situation there? MDW has about 12 direct flights per day (SWA, UAL, Frontier) plus I hear the pads are a close walk, and not through the ghetto. PHX probably way too senior for a newbie, and BWI's a long way from the Rockies. Want to avoid the "move" option if I can; wifey's got a good job and I like the reserve unit I'm in out here.

Thanks in advance.

See you in DAL on the 21st!:beer:

BTW, bid for OAK or MDW...BWI is a very bad place to be domiciled for you, way too far from home.;) :laugh:

Don't hate the player

Don't listen to them, man. Before SWA started Denver service, we had a ton of guys living in CO (surprise!) Most commute to MDW for the reasons you mentioned. Seniority is great, crashpad situation is great, and the options (Ted, Frontier, and now the home team) are good. Phoenix is a doable commute and should get easier as we add additional service as well as OAK down the road but I think MDW will remain the best option for some time.

That said, move if you have any interest in living near any of the domiciles. This is coming from an off-line commuter who has to go through DTW or ORD every week.

We're happy to have you onboard and no matter what choice you make you'll love it here!!

rtmcc74 said:

Try to get to MDW....crash pad situation is great. Mine was a 10 minute walk from front door to the Pilot Lounge. IMHO you should be able to hold PHX within a couple of months. OAK is all hotels....not known for its crash pads.

You are getting here at the right time...Training Center expansion is completed and now they can handle more New Hire classes than they were able to in the last few months.

WELCOME ABOARD !!!

Tejas

I would tell you the same advice I told all my buds. Drive to work, commute to your reserve unit. I commuted out of Pcola for six years now I drive to work, its a totally different job. Pay is alot better, time off is better, everything is better. Tell the wife to find a new job in one of seven cities of SWA's choice and make it work. Yes, you can commute and it won't kill you, but it will age you, and it will stress you, and you won't want to do it forever. (But the funny part is, once you start it will be much harder to move later, wife, kids in school, etc.) Do yourself and your family(even if she doesn't believe it yet) a favor and move to where you work.

Live where the wife is happy. move and piss her off and you will wish you were commuting. mdw is best bet for seniority and flight availability.

boeing747-800 said:
don't bother getting on my jumpseat

Accepting the Ass-of-the-day award, "boeing 747-800", 51 posts and every one negative, congratulations son.

Latest resources

Back