Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PHX767

it's a dry heat
I did a search on this with no luck, so please help me out.

I understand it is possible to get an interview and hired at SWA without the type rating. What happens then? Do you slide into the next class after you get the type? Or what???

Seems like the obvious answer is to have the type first, but in many situations that's not possible. I can just see telling my employer that I need X many weeks off so I can be competitive to get hired elsewhere.

Also, any feedback on people getting hired without the type vs. with?

From the Southwest website:

A candidate may apply without a B-737 Type Rating. If a candidate interviews and successfully completes the entire selection process, he/she has 6 months from that date to obtain a B-737 Type Rating to be eligible for hire.

Don't know if anyone without the type is getting calls for interviews. . . don't know if anyone at all is getting interviews. Anyone?

Type at SW

I can only offer what my experience was at SW. The only people who could definitively answer your question (if even they could) work in the People Dept at SW.

I interviewed without the type and when the decision board approved my interview process I was told that I had 6 months to get a type in order to join the pool of qualified applicants who were waiting for a job offer and class date. After I got my type rating I was informed that I was now in the pool of qualified applicants waiting for a class date.

There was never any promise of a class date or even an estimate of when a class would be held, or what my "number" was in the pool. The People Dept would give an estimate if pressed of how many classes out you were, but again, no promises or exact dates.

It appears that you entered the pool on either the date you interviewed (if you had the type already) or on the date you got your type rating. Class dates seemed to follow the unofficial pool on this site pretty well, of course there were gaps because not everybody in the pool was registered here. So when you got a class date was dependent on when you entered the pool and when the classes were scheduled. Since there weren't any classes for about a year there was nobody getting hired during that time.

If I had had my type rating when I interviewed I would have (as it turns out) gotten a class date about a year earlier than I did. It all depends on how many people enter the pool (based on the criteria above) while you are waiting around to get your type. How many slots do you want to give up?

Also, I wouldn't refer to getting accepted into the pool as being "hired". The company never makes any promise of employment (although you know a company like SW and FedEx will eventually get to you unles something really traumatic happens), you have simply joined the ranks of the qualified applicants waiting for an offer of employment. You are "hired" when you are sitting in an orientation class with a bunch of other smiling people in interview suits and you get handed a nice ID badge and an employee number.

Get the type! Good luck.

FJ

Thanks for the great reply. That makes better sense now.

Now I will have to see if I can get a type in short enough class segments that I can fit it into the work schedule.

You might want to check with Higher Power in Dallas. If I remember correctly, one of the guys in my class was splitting his training up. He did one week of ground school and then his oral. He then had to go back to work and return at a later date to do his sims and checkride.

It has been awhile so my recolection may not be exact, but I do think they will break up the training to fit your schedule.

PHX767

Call Shari at Flight Training Int'l (see banner above right)...if Denver is a no brainer commute for you they will comply with any kind of schedule you need as long as it's all done in 60 days...saw guys coming and going for a few days at a time there....

Interviewed with SWA in March...waiting for the DB results...no one asked or cared where I got my type...for me the extra $1000 in the pocket was an easy call.

Kingwood

I finished at HPA in March with the type. Anxiously awaiting a call for an interview. However, HPA will break your training up to fit your schedule. We had a few guys in our class that did that.

Talked to one of our classmates yesterday that just finished up his checkride after taking 3 weeks off before he could get another week off from his 121 carrier. He said it wasen't a problem jumping back into it.

HPA was a great experience for me and I highly recommend them to anyone. Hands down.

However, a type is a type. It's the people that matter.

FWIW,
K&S in PHX will also let you break up your type training (I had to do it as well).

Peace,
DP

328dude

Whats going on? I havn't even sent a app in and thay have called me every week.....just kidding. I did my type at HPA one week behind 328dude and I was able to finish in 13 days. I had to be back at work the next day so no rest for me.

Look dude, I told you from day one, you need to lay off the RootBeer floats on Wednesdays at HPA. Nice Picture!.LOL

Apparetly, you didn't concede my advice.

How's things Going?

Latest resources

Back