Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lear70

JAFFO
About two months ago a few of us on here projected out our upgrades and said we would just barely scrape by without having to hire off the street... we were wrong. Much to our surprise, fewer people have standing bids on file than was earlier thought we would have.

As a result, the company is unable to fill training slots this month for Captain upgrades, has requested anyone on future vacancy awards who wants to upgrade now submit bids.

More interestingly, the latest vacancy award for a December 1st effective date (when you would be supposedly flying a line) included 5 street captain positions. The next vacancy for a January effective date hasn't come out yet but probably will soon, and since that training would be over Thanksgiving and Christmas, I wouldn't expect the senior F/O's to go for it so we may have TWO classes of street captains.

The Chief Pilot said they have not yet interviewed for these positions but would soon. Minimums are 3500 Total, 2500 Multiengine, 1000 turbine. Previous Part 121 or 135 jet command (especially EFIS and FMS experience) would be an asset.

If you know someone here or especially someone in HR, now is the time. Best of luck, but be forewarned: with contract negotiations stalled and not restarting until May of next year, no new deliveries planned after March or April, probably no new deliveries until our contract is done which will probably be 3 years or so given how contentious "early negotiations" started and ended, you will be on reserve for 4 or 5 years, 10 days off per month, and on the receiving end of Crew Schedulers who have maybe a few month's experience in aviation - it's not fun, I just finished 3 years of reserve. If you don't have another gig or won't upgrade in the next 3-5 years where you're at, might be worth it...

Last edited:
Yep,
Everyone that I told, a new hire would be able upgrade in less than 2 years thought I was full of crap and 2 months later now look whats going on.

I'm lost here... Do the senior FO's not have enough time to upgrade, and that's why they'd hire street cap's?

Hey look! the pendulum is starting to swing the other way. Enter big red and the whipsaw boys! For those at PCL that never believed it would happen... wake up! here it comes.

Good luck PCL...

FO

"I'm lost here... Do the senior FO's not have enough time to upgrade, and that's why they'd hire street cap's?"

There are Senior AND Junior FO's here that have easily 3000 + hours. The reason many (and I can't speak for everyone here) are not upgrading yet is they are commuters, and with no commuter clause, they are waiting to hold a line. And in the case of the MSP based guys, they have no interest in taking a Capt vacancy in DTW. They will wait for MSP.

My guess would be 5-7 years MINIMUM for a street captain who starts in December to hold a line here at 9E. For several reasons. 1. As the next 1.5 year(s) passes, there are going to be MANY people willing to (and able) to upgrade. About 300-350 to be percise. 2. No more growth. 3. Contract negotiations. Those that start in December will be in the 1050-1200 seniority # range.

Last edited:
Egads!

Well I'd heard of this possible scenario already, many months ago in fact. To make a long story short, I had a former Pinnacle guy, now a NWA pilot, tell me that I should throw my stuff in because it was inevitable that they'd be hiring street captains. I scoffed at the very concept that they couldn't find any ready, willing and able FO's to take any of the Captain slots, but he insisted that it was a few months away.

Aside from the time frame, it appears that he was right. I still find it amazing that people would put aside the opportunity to upgrade at their own company... Unless your FO pay is waaay higher than I think it is! I'd think you'd jump at the first opportunity to get the seat and deal with the lifestyle change for the six months or a year (or whatever) it would take to get to your desired base.

In any case, I took a street captain position at my company that kept me on reserve for approx 15 mos in total, and I can't even imagine what it would be like to be on reserve for five years. Good luck to anyone who is willing to take the plunge!

corpflunkie said:
So, what's the pay like for a street captain??
like all "regional" airlines....slightly above street beggar.

Honestly I could not tell ya. 50 somin an hour for a first yr capt, but I don't work at PCL so I could not tell ya.

Latest resources

Back