Startin Out W/ Rc

BCpilot81

ummmm........
Total Time
alot
Never done anything with RC a/c before. Want to find a happy median as far as cost, ease, and reliability for an airplane or helicopter for my three sons and I. Anyone with any suggestions? Ages 3,4,9 and 26 (not that 26 makes me any more competent.)?

hdpilot50

Total Time
enough
Its addicting...you start out buying a cheap one and next you find yourself spending couple hundred on a bigger, faster airplane.

good places to visit:
www.towerhobbies.com
www.hobby-lobby.com

Any cheap 2 channel or 3 channel aircraft will do for starters. If you are new, 99% you will most likely crash it, but fairly easy to fix broken parts. Enjoy it and have fun.

BushwickBill

Registered Abuser
Total Time
more
Rc

I started out with this heli. Buy it at Toys R Us and get the warranty. Sometimes they are defective out of the box but if you get the warranty than you can keep bringing them back (even if you crash it) :) . Keep in mind the first one I bought was defective. It wouldn't hover. I brought it back and the 2nd one was perfect.

My house mate and I have spent many a night flying this heli and have finished of a few six packs of sierra while doing so. Always a blast the little bugger was invincible.

If you get anything more complicated than one of those helis you'll be paying a lot of money and if you crash your done. The havoc heli is IMHO the way to start. If you want to buy carbon fiber blades for your 1000$ RC heli down the road suit yourself.

Fixed Wing:

www.nitroplanes.com is a good place to look for a discount model. I would try and get a 4 channel powered glider. If you don't have ailerons your going to get bored. A buddy of mine picked up a model called the wilga he still has it after many crashes and it still flys.

There is a local RC shop and some of the guys fly different powered RC models. Keep in mind these guys are full on into it and are at an intermediate level. They have gotten past the well that was fun but I think RC is stupid. It is a hobby to them. I have a lot of fun watching them fly. There is usually 2 or 3 spectacular crashes. Usually a stall into spin on final. No mid airs yet but I'm waiting.

3 seem to be the most common.

Trainer:
T-28
Acro:
Typhoon
Fast:
F-27

You WILL crash. Office depot has some double weave tape that is made by 3M it is a must have for a beginner

I haven't bought anything since I picked up my slope soaring glider. The slope season is over. It isn't for beginners but once you learn how to fly slope with a glider you can fly for hours. It is very peaceful and quiet. Sometimes you get to fly with the fledgling Red Tail Hawks or a curious crow or raven. I find it fun even though I fly for a living so I get sick of airplanes now and then. All you need is a hill with some wind.

great cornholio

Are you threatening me??
Total Time
I started out with this heli. Buy it at Toys R Us and get the warranty. Sometimes they are defective out of the box but if you get the warranty than you can keep bringing them back (even if you crash it) :) . Keep in mind the first one I bought was defective. It wouldn't hover. I brought it back and the 2nd one was perfect.
http://www.nitroplanes.com

I just saw that a lot of stores IE walmart target any toy store etc. Have this helicopter in a 2 pack now and they shoot "lasers" at each other and when hit will "spiral out of control" for a second. I bought one of the single ones a few months ago and its pretty fun...and almost indestructable...however I usually try to get the rotors stopped before I hit something but have flown it into a wall a time or two with the rotors still powered and haven't really broken the thing yet. The laser shooting ones look like fun, but I dont have anyone in my house that would dog fight me yet...

DV8N180

Total Time
If you are new, 99% you will most likely crash it, but fairly easy to fix broken parts. Enjoy it and have fun.[/quote]

Just remember it comes as a kit - and leaves the field as a kit...

Rekks Inbound

Total Time
Plenty
Try www.horizonhobby.com. The Alpha 40 with engine and radio should run about $250. You'll spend about $500 total, and that includes find a local AMA club to teach you to fly the thing. That is probably the best investment, the club instructor. Otherwise, the cost and fustration of destroyed models adds up real quick.

And the Alpha is set up to 'buddy box' with other JR radio equipment, this REALLY helps the learning curve, and saves a/c.

Peace.

Rekks

trip

Total Time
Yep Bushwack, those jets are a lot of fun! I have built a couple myself that are similiar (Mig29 & F22) I used the plans from RCgroups. Having too much fun with foam to drag out the balsa!

goodgig

Total Time
Plenty
As in real flying, a simulator will save some heartbreak. Great planes has a pretty decent one for about $200.

trip

Total Time
Wack it or Wick it, at least I got the Bush part right! He He.

mvedepo

Total Time
>1
First thing you should do is FIND A LOCAL CLUB! Join the club and they will have instructors that not only teach you how to fly but will save you $$$$'s in parts. A majority of the guys that go at it themselves without help never stay in the hobby. I started flying when I was 12. It was a great father son activity. And still after 21 years I still love it.

icefr8dawg

Total Time
abunch
Just bought my little brother a parkzone supercub, very easy to learn on and it has some stability switch for newbies. $159 for a real model all ready to fly was pretty good I thought.

Cardinal

Of The Kremlin
Total Time
K's
Just got my YB-22 going. It is very fun. Total kit cost $160. You need an old mixing transmitter and radio though. You also have to build it. It took about 4 hours total and I highly reccomend the glue.

Watch the videos they are both pretty cool.

I love it, chick is wearing some kind of CAL or XJT uniform parts, and they're based in the Woodlands. Support your fellow pilots!

jester33

Total Time
24/day
The super cub from parkzone is great

I started on the Multiplex easy start from HobbyLobby.com. After 20+ crashes from me and my kids it is still going strong. Many of my friends and guys in my club also started on the Parkzone Supercub and love it. Have put floats on them, LED's for night flight and many other great mods. I also have the Parkzone t-28 which is a great 2nd airplane. Find a local club. It will make all of the difference in the world.