Spelling Police

Geronimo4497

Total Time
A frax thread made me start this.

I know that my spelling is not always spot on, but my personal favorite of misused words are:

Hangar - Hanger

Any others out there, my peeps?

Last edited:

bigD

Total Time
4.9e17
It's and Its

Your and You're

They're, Their and There

Lose and Loose

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
Total Time
NA
Gauge and "gage". Some General Motors cars actually have an idiot light that displays "check gages". What's interesting, is that according to dictionary.com, "gage" is an acceptable "variant" of the word "gauge". How can there be 2 ways of spelling one particular noun? TonyC?????????

Pedro

Not too happy...
Total Time
$$$$$$
"I must of done this", "I should of done that"....

It's I must have done this, I should have done that. Or you can also use "I should’ve done it", or "I must’ve done it".

TonyC

Frederick's Happy Face
Total Time
>8,000
UnAnswerd said:
How can there be 2 ways of spelling one particular noun? TonyC?????????
It's a conspiracy, I tell ya. It's designed to make it more difficult for a non-English-speaking adult to learn the language.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!?!?

:)

Dizel8

Douglas metal
Total Time
Huh?
Well, americanized english has often dropped the u!

Fly_Chick

Total Time
~1300
"a lot" of times I find "a myriad of" misused words (frequently found in magazine editiorials), yet "myriad" misued words would be more appropriate.

100LL... Again!

youwantapieceofme??
Total Time
4000+
The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5-year phase-in plan that would be known as "Euro- English."

In the first year, 's' will replace the soft 'c'. Sertainly,this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard 'c' will be dropped in favor of the 'k'. This should klear up konfusion and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome 'ph' will be replased with the 'f'. This will make words like 'fotograf' 20% shorter!

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expected to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double leters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent 'e' in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing 'th' with 'z' and 'w' wiz 'v'. During ze fifz year ze unesesary 'o' kan be dropd from vords kontaining 'ou' and similar changes vud of kurs be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters. After ze fifz yer ve vil hav a rali sensibl ritn styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evriun vil find it ezi tu undrstand ech ozer.

Zen Z Drem Vil Finali Kum Tru!!

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
Total Time
that sure was a DECENT DESCENT, cap'n.

YOU'RE going to tell me about YOUR day, right?

we put THEIR luggage over THERE.

IT'S no fun to kill a cat and eat ITS tail.

just a few of my peeves.....

I.P. Freley

I like people food
Total Time
Enough
Whose to say whats right and whats not?

;)

I.P. Freley

I like people food
Total Time
Enough
dernit, double post!

GravityHater

Total Time
Not spelling but if someone says
"Deja vu, all over again" I think I will puke my liver.

jarhead

master of my domain
Total Time
low
GravityHater said:
Not spelling but if someone says
"Deja vu, all over again" I think I will puke my liver.
That malapropism is as American as apple pie. The saying, “It’s déjà vu all over again” was made famous by the great American philosopher Yogi Berra some time ago during a post game interview.

In fact, it’s the first one on a list of Yogi’s very famous quotes.

Check them out here: http://rinkworks.com/said/yogiberra.shtml

In fact if you Google the phrase “It’s déjà vu all over again", you will see how frequently it is used in all sorts of places in the American lexicon.

Geronimo4497

Total Time
I too believe that the two of us should go to the store and buy more beer. Incorrect grammar, but you get the point, I hope.

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
Total Time
grammar, not grammer