• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Harblar

Fear the Man, not his Gun
Hey all.

I'm somewhat new to the forums. I've been browsing the sight the past week or so looking for what info I can find and only have a couple of questions I can find in the search.

First off, a bit about myself and what I'm looking for. I'm sitting just over the basic 135 single pilot IFR mins. 1250TT, almost 1000 PIC, and about 60 ME. I've been instructing for the past 4 years and I can't stand it any longer. It's not that I hate instructing so much, I'm just burned out on it and sick of never getting to fly myself. Time for a change. (and better pay...) I've been looking at several of the air cargo companies, mainly ACC and MAC. Both sound like pretty good companies, though it sounds like capt upgrades at ACC are quicker. I've got a couple friends working there that seem to like it a lot, so I'm leaning towards them. I plan to put in resumes with both and go from there. I'm looking for something that's NOT PFT, has the option of some Twin Time (wouldn't mind flying Vans, but I'd like to build some more multi fairly soon) and has salary and benefits somewhat compareable to ACC.
I've also been looking at possibly trying to get on with a couple places that will be flying the eclipse jet, etc... (Dayjet and Jet Alliance... not holding my breath there though.)

My real question is this, both of these carriers seem to operate mainly on the east coast, I'm just curious as to whether or not there are any similar to these operating out of the denver area? About all I've been able to find is keylime (Pass) and a couple of charter company's operating jets and kingairs (ya, I wouldn't mind working for one of these places, but I have a feeling I wouldn't have a chance with my hours.) ;)

I'm single, young, and willing to do what I have to (as long as it doesn't involve sitting right seat in a 150 anymore!) :D Anbody got any good suggestions for places to try I haven't thought of yet?

Thanks

You wouldn't have to move for ACC, they put you in a hotel on the road. Then commute, although commuting can loose it's thrill quickly! Kalitta charters hires with your time. That would be right seat lear/falcon time. I think ameristar and Royal might too. Could commute with Kalitta Charters, you get a week off at a time. Not sure how it would work with the others schedules. What about commuters that fly out of denver? Your time should be good for all but horizon I think. I think airnet might fly from denver, possibly ameriflight too. MAC's mirror image handles the west coast, named empire. Try www.raa.org, the member airline list. It has most of the small freight and pax operators.

The easiest way is to move! It makes it more difficult for your chosen career if you are set on a single place, unless it is south east Michigan, or texas maybe. Several on demand cargo operations there. I have moved 3 times for jobs, most pilots have moved at least once and probably several times.-kingaira90

Last edited:
There are several on-demand type outfits in Michigan, USA Jet, Murray, Kalitta Charters-they are all turbine fleets.

RAM Air in the RDU area (you would get outstation based I believe) is all piston-lances, barons and 402's (I think) hauling checks.

There was a Baron/Lear outfit that hubbed into CLT, bases all over but I can't remember who that is and don't know if they are still around.

Good luck!

If you are new to the forums, do not base a decision on a company based on whats posted on here.....sure you can get the lowdown on places, but the deal is that everyone that hates such-and-such a company will definately post negative stuff about them, and those who dont have a negative experience....will most likely not post anything in defense after someone says "this place is dangerous" or "you WILL get violated". Take the info for a grain of salt. Ive worked for companies that people trash on here constantly, and most of it is not true....I dont post in defense because its a waste of time, I would rather engage in coitus with a bowl of oatmeal than argue with people on here.

You should check out western aviators, or perhaps eclipse.

Thanks for the responses. I'm currently checking out some of those suggested.

To clarify, I am currently living in Aberdeen, SD, so I pretty much plan to move one way or the other. I like the Denver area and have a couple friends down there right now, so I if I could find something there, great. If not, no big deal, anywhere would preferable to here... except Grand Forks... I've spent enough time there, too. ;)

I'm in the process of filling out several online applications right now and I have a couple questions.

1: When They ask for XC time should I put down the total amount of point to point or only that which is > 50nm. One is easy to put down the others going to take a couple hours of adding.

2: I'm in the process of getting a first class medical, (waiting for a call back on openings). I expect no complications, but a lot of the apps ask whether I currently have one or not. Obviously I should put No since I don't, but should I write in somewhere that I am getting one within a certain amount of time? or will they likely only look at my app if I have one in hand?

dumbidea, I do take everything with grain of salt, though I have found very little positive comments about carriers like Key Lime and very few negative about ACC and MAC. I know every place has it's ups and downs and you're right that just because no one is posting any positives doesn't mean there aren't any. I'm not ruling such places out, but I am going to start with ones like ACC etc... first.

Thanks again

I would put point to point, I believe that is allowed under 135. Unless you have lots of xc and the pt to pt wouldn't make much difference.

On the med, if yours is a 1st which lapsed to the privliges of a 2nd I would just indicate that. Then when you get the first again it gives you a reason to "update" your app. just my .00537 cents-kingaira90

Ameriflight, Aero Charter Transport, Redding Aero, and a 402 operator out of New Mexico. All hire at your exerience level.

It is true that people bash operators on here, but for the love of soup, don't go to Key Lime.

Latest resources

Back