Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Smoke & Mirrors from Bob Tyler (Flight Options)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bank-n-Yank

To: All_PIC; All_SIC
Sent: Mon Jan 09 16:53:50 2006
Subject: NMB notification of application filing

January 9, 2006

To all pilots:

This afternoon we received notice from the National Mediation Board (NMB) in Washington, D.C.
that the Teamsters filed an application seeking an election to determine if you want the
Teamsters as your bargaining representative. For those of you who haven't been through a union
election in the aviation industry before, it's important for you to understand how the process
works and what options are available to you.

WHAT'S NEXT?

At this point, however, an election has not been authorized. In a few days, Flight Options will
provide the NMB with a list of eligible voting pilots and samples of their signatures. An NMB
investigator will check the list and the signature samples against the authorization cards
submitted by the Teamsters. If the Teamsters union has submitted valid authorization cards from
at least 35% of the employees on the list of eligible voting pilots, an election will be held.
We will keep you updated as we receive more information from the NMB.

If an election takes place, it will be conducted using the NMB's Telephone Electronic Voting
(TEV) system. Employees vote by calling a toll-free telephone number. You should also be aware
that voting in a union election in our industry is unique in that there is no way to
affirmatively vote "NO" if you want to reject union representation. That's right...there is no
option to vote "NO" by using the TEV system. So, if there's an election and if you don't want
union representation, you should not call the NMB's toll-free number. We will provide you with
more information on the TEV voting system in the days ahead. You may also learn more about TEV
by accessing the NMB's website at www.nmb.gov <http://www.nmb.gov/> .

WHAT ABOUT PAY, WORKING CONDITIONS, and BENEFIT CHANGES?

We are currently in what is called the "laboratory period." That means, now that the Company
has been notified that a union organizing drive is going on, we are prohibited under the NMB's
rules from making any changes in pay, working conditions, or benefits to what is currently in
place. If the NMB authorizes an election, the "laboratory period' will remain in place until
the election is over. That process can take several weeks or months depending on the
circumstances.

MY ASSESSMENT

Since I arrived at Flight Options last fall, many of you have called or written me. We've
talked in Dallas at the pilot meetings. You've dropped by my office. We've spoken over the
phone. We've had dinner together after work. Emails have flown back and forth. You've told me
the past several years have not been easy on the pilots. Among other things, there've been a
number of changes both in management and by management. Some of those changes have caused many
of you to lose faith in our leadership.

You've expressed hope in those calls, meetings, and emails. You still care...a lot. You've
asked for simple changes. "I want to be treated with respect. I want to be trusted. I want to
be paid fairly. I want my quality of life restored. I want to know I've got a future here."
You haven't asked for the moon...just peace on earth.

Kool-Aid comes in many flavors. You can get it at the company store or at the union hall. Some
of you have already chosen which flavor you'll buy. The majority of you are waiting, watching,
and listening. As professional pilots, most of you are leaders not followers. You resist the
"herd mentality." Even if you sent a card to the Teamsters many of you haven't decided how
you'll vote. The weeks ahead will be interesting for all of us. Be cautious. Get ready for
the "Battle of the Websites, chat rooms, emails, letters, unsolicited phone calls, accusations
and counter-accusations." Be prepared to hear valid points made by both sides but if something
doesn't sound right, it probably isn't. Ultimately, only you will decide our mutual future.

DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES

The Teamsters union claims they're the solution. Ask yourself, can outsiders, like the
Teamsters union, restore your faith in Flight Options? One of the top stories at this year's
NBAA convention was the union's tentative agreement with NetJets. The media reported, "Flight
Options is the Teamsters' next target...If they decide to join, they'll be folded into the
NetJets local 1108 in Columbus...Bill Olsen, the president of local 1108 was quoted as saying,
'This will be one of the great labor battles of aviation history.'" See
http://www.aviationnow.com/shownews/05nbaa/topstor_1_01.htm for the entire article entitled,
Teamsters Want Union Pilots Beyond NetJets...

Hopefully, it's not too late to ask that you give me and the rest of the management team a
chance to restore that faith. You've seen the changes we've made in just the last few weeks.
The management team and I are dedicated to making Flight Options the best place to work in the
fractional industry. To do this, we need your help. For your benefit and the benefit of our
company, we need to be able to solve our challenges in-house. I'm convinced that allowing the
Teamsters on our property would result in a real and meaningful loss of your independence and
your ability to work directly with our management team on making necessary changes.

While the decision to vote union is only yours to make, we would ask that you take time to
consider how voting in the Teamsters could affect you and our Company. We encourage you to
communicate openly with each other and your Program Managers about the Teamsters and union
representation in general. Ask the tough questions about Teamsters' rules, its leadership, how
it spends its members' money, and how it negotiates at the bargaining table. All we ask is that
you make an informed decision. Let factual information, not empty promises or emotion, be your
guide.

CERTAINTIES

A couple of things I'm sure of: first, each of us must continue to be professional at all times
and second, life will go on for each of us on the other side of the next few months. What am I
saying? Safety and service must be maintained. Our owners have a right to demand that we
continue our high level of professionalism. Any reported harassment (pro-union or anti-union)
in the workplace will be dealt with quickly and firmly. Please treat each other with respect.
Surely, we can agree that well-intended men and women can disagree yet still work together
respectfully. Whether or not the Teamsters effort is successful, pilots will still fly
airplanes for our owners. But remember this: what we say and how we treat each other will be
remembered for a long, long time.

If you have any questions or comments about my letter, contact me directly at
[email protected] or get in touch with your Program Manager or APM.

Best regards,

Bob Tyler

Vice President, Flight Operations

once a scab allways a scab.

i did enjoy the part that we'd offer you more pay but now the nmb won't let us. sorry.

Diesel said:
i did enjoy the part that we'd offer you more pay but now the nmb won't let us. sorry.

This is already being discussed at the IBT board an this is the word from our Organizing Committee, if you're not reading the IBT board make sure you know this is what management doesn't want you to know.

We are currently in what is called the "laboratory period." That means, now that the Company has been notified that a union organizing drive is going on, we are prohibited under the NMB's rules from making any changes in pay, working conditions, or benefits to what is currently in place. If the NMB authorizes an election, the "laboratory period' will remain in place until the election is over. That process can take several weeks or months depending on the circumstances.

We have already talked to legal council about this issue. The answer we got is that since the "announcement" in pay and benefits the company said would be announced prior to Jan. 31st was announced BEFORE we petitioned, AND the fact that such raise and benefits announced are not "regular in nature", to mean something the company announces every year, that the company CAN still issue us the raise in benefits and pay.

Now. This conflicts with what Management's letter states. This is a classic "Union busting" tactic that is used everywhere in anti-union campaigns.. the old "We'd love to give you a raise but the nasty Union won't let us - since they are in a drive we have to abide by the Law".

Rest assured, that your Union leaders were already expecting this ploy, and after much discussion with ourselves and the Local 1108 MEC, and through them with lawyers, we decided that it's best we petition the NMB immediately. If the company refuses to issue the raise and benefits they promised us on January 31st, we are prepared, and we will handle it legally, if deemed necessary and required. This will be a matter of further discussion amongst the leadership, we will keep you informed.

Well, I can tell you that if it wasn't for 1108, we at NJA would either have no contract or we'd have a shitty one. Teamsters didn't help a lot. We actually had to fight them a bit. But now that things are squared away in that regard, 1108 is great to have on our side. 1108 is NOT a Teamsters creation, it is a NJA PILOT creation. And we are inviting others to join.
We went through 4 years of the rhetoric that you are just now starting to see. You will see a LOT more of it soon. Get ready...

That guy is son of Boisture.
Look out now, the FUD is flying.

At least this time I can watch from the sidelines. I will be cheering though!

I also heckle.
Bob Tylor, you are a bottom feeding SCAB (correct me if I am wrong). Get ready for your consulting job!

I received two letters from management today. At first they seemed unrelated, but then I realized that they weren’t. The first letter was the union busting rhetoric from Bob Tyler about how good things would be if we hadn’t tied their hands with a union drive. The second letter was about the mechanics that left FLOPS to go to Raytheon a couple of years ago and how they are now coming back to FLOPS. “Recently, both companies reviewed their collaborative relationship and collectively decided that it is in the best interest of both entities to move the aircraft service function back to Flight Options, LLC.”

For anyone who’s been around more than 2 or 3 years you, might remember how after the merger when all the RTA guys lost their RTA benefits, including retirement, the mechanics moved to Raytheon. There was discussion at that time about whether they’d make the 5 years for vestment. Well the answer came today.

Does anyone believe that the mechanics were asked about what they wanted to do? This is a prime example of the manipulation that companies do to their people. What’s given today is taken away tomorrow.

I can’t believe that any pilot would be so short sighted as to fall for management’s lies. But I’m already hearing some people squirming about what FLOPS might do for us if only the union would go away. Please stop and think. What advice would you give your kids if they wanted to quit school and take a low paying job? What would you tell your parents if they wanted to retire early for drastically reduced benefits? If you had a bag of seed corn, would you eat it or plant it.

Who is management anyway? Every pilot here is senior to Bob Tyler. What makes his opinion more valid than yours?

There is nothing that management can give, promise, or hint at that would make me not vote for organization.

Bob Tyler has officially been dubbed Babbling Bob. NJA had a similar character over here. We called ours Baghdad Bob since his statements were so far from reality that the situation was similar to Saddam Hussein's spokesman who was saying, "Everything is fine" while the AMerican tanks punched through the city street behind him. Your's simply talks too much.

At least you Babbling Bob signs his communiques. Ours weren't signed and were simply sent out blank and unsigned in a very unprofessional manner. The message both Bob's send, however, is the same even though the Bob's hail from different companies. Both Bobs are F.U.D. spreaders.

They serve no other purpose than to spread information to keep you off balance in many ways; emotionally, informationally, etc.

What is F.U.D.??

Fear
Uncertainty
Doubt

I can promise you that your Bob will dissapear just like ours did... put only after the Flight Options pilots stand and fight for their careers and families.

Poof!!

don't forget you'll get a familyguy on here saying how you're screwing the company.

oh yeah that's miles otoole.

Latest resources

Back