• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dep676

My Glock is bigger!!!!!
Jun 7, 3:07 AM (ET)

By ROBERT JABLON

(AP) Los Angeles City firefighters work on the roof of a three-story structure where a single engine...

A small plane crashed into a three-story apartment building near Hollywood, setting the structure ablaze, killing at least two people and injuring seven others on the ground.

Authorities said the Friday crash was believed to be an accident.

The body of a building occupant was found under burning debris, Deputy Fire Chief Mario Rueda said. The body believed to be that of the pilot was found in the plane wreckage.

The crash frightened Los Angeles residents and tourists who watched the plane sputter over the city before taking a nose-dive into the building. The plane plunged through the two floors of apartment units to the ground-floor garage.

"All of a sudden, I heard a real loud swirling noise ... then a real loud bang and the whole apartment shook," said Will Binder, who lives in an adjacent apartment building.

"We heard the plane going around in circles and it started losing power ... It hit. We saw black smoke," said Carlos Mancilla, 43, who was shopping with friends on Melrose Avenue when the plane crashed.

Three of the seven injured were taken to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. They included a man who was burned over 25 percent of his body, Fire Chief William Bamattre said.

Another man with burns over 18 percent of his body was taken to the Grossman Burn Center in the San Fernando Valley and was in critical but stable condition, said Dr. Peter Grossman.

The building, which had 14 units, burned fiercely at first, but firefighters had the blaze under control in about a half-hour. By then about half the building was gutted.

(AP) Los Angeles County firefighters assist an unidentified apartment dweller after he collapsed on the...

Battalion Chief Daren Palacios, said it might take up to two days to determine if other people were buried in the debris. The Fire Department had not immediately compiled a tenant list and couldn't say late Friday whether everyone was accounted for.

The crash occurred in Los Angeles' Fairfax district, a heavily Jewish area with quiet, older neighborhoods and trendy shopping areas near West Hollywood.

The plane was believed to be a six-seat aircraft that took off from Santa Monica Airport about 10 miles away, said Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Donn Walker.

A single turbo-charged engine Beechcraft Bonanza BE-36 departed Santa Monica at 3:45 p.m. and had been in contact with the tower, NTSB investigator Tealeye Cornejo said.

"There's no indication from tower that there were any problems," Cornejo said.

(AP) An unidentified member of the Los Angeles County Hatzolah Vol EMS, left, administers oxygen to...
Full Image

The Bonanza pilot did not file a flight plan and was operating on visual flight rules, he said. He did not have any other information about that plane, including how many people were aboard.

Cornejo said no flight recorder was found in the wreckage and that investigators have not determined who owns it.

Adam Krolfifer of High Point, N.C., was in line waiting to see a taping of "The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn" when he heard a plane overhead.

"We were waiting at CBS Studios. I heard a plane, like he was doing acrobatic moves. About four minutes later, we saw a huge plume of black smoke," said Krolfifer, who was in Los Angeles on vacation.

"It sounded like it was making maneuvers, the engine getting stressed out," he said.

(AP) Los Angeles City firefighters look at fire caused by a single engine aircraft which plunged straight...
Full Image

Mancilla and his friends ran to the building after the plane hit and saw a man on the second floor getting ready to jump, he said.

"We were telling him not to jump, but he said, 'I'm jumping,'" Mancilla said.

As he jumped or fell, "there was a second explosion and we were covered with smoke," he said. The jumper was apparently not seriously injured.

California authorities notified the Homeland Security Department about the crash, and the agency was working with state and local officials to monitor the situation, spokeswoman Rachael Sunbarger said.

Police initially responded with counterterrorism, hazardous materials and bomb squad units, but after a preliminary investigation determined the crash was an accident and turned it over to the National Transportation Safety Board, said Assistant Police Chief Jim McDonnell.

"This was not a terrorist incident," said Councilman Jack Weiss, whose district encompasses the crash site.

Dep676 said:
We were waiting at CBS Studios. I heard a plane, like he was doing acrobatic moves. About four minutes later, we saw a huge plume of black smoke," said Krolfifer, who was in Los Angeles on vacation.

Great, another expert on the matter. :rolleyes: Now people will rally against aerobatic planes, as terrorist devices.

Sad indeed.

What seems wierd to me is that the pilot was not on an IFR flight plan. A friend of mine was going into SMO yesterday and did the VOR approach down to minimums. When he broke out, he said there was a barrage of news helicopters and traffic watch airplanes right where he broke out. There was no flight restriction put into place so it was a swarm over the accident site, right on the final approach course.

I don't see how this guy could have been in VFR conditions if my friend had to do the approach.

One guy interviewed on the news said it looked like the pilot was in a spin on the way down.

Probably another classic case of the pilot departing VFR into IMC conditions. He probably never checked the weather, misjudged the conditions and in he went with no idea how to get out. Who knows though.

Update

Here's an updated story on it. The pilot was supposedly NOT Instrument rated. Updated story

Latest resources

Back