Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Burt Reynolds

El Bandido
Well, throwing caution to the wind and risking starting a "Leather Jackets are Gay" thread....

I quit Eagle and am about to start at SkyWest and I'm going through the uniform requirements. Apparently, I have to order either the blazer or leather jacket from Perrone before ground school is out so this may be academic, but...

Have any of you SkyWest pilots bought a leather jacket from Pop's Leather (popsleather.com) instead of Perrone? I know that several Eagle pilots have and have commented how the quality of the Pop's was as good or better in some cases at a price that was significantly less.

Personally, I'd rather spend a little extra on the leather than to freeze my @ss off in the winter wearing the blazer.

Any comments/opinions? (other than leather jackets are gay)

Sorry leather buffs, but I'll bite.

We have the leather jackets at ASA too. I don't like the leather jackets. I think about the dorkiest thing in the world is when you see a guy in a bar or restaurant with a "converted" pilot leather jacket. You know, name tag ripped off (velcro showing) and empty epauletts. It brings the bathroom scene in Top Gun to mind "oh, you're a pilot..." They're just too Tom Cruise-ish.

Go for Perrone.

They are the standard leather jacket and anyone who buys the other brands that have been offered over time (flightsuits, etc.) always seem to stand out in a crew room and eventually wish they have bought the Perrone jacket.

The leather's great! It's much warmer than the blazer during the winter and (even though you look like a dork) there's no need to pack an extra jacket to wear when you go out on an overnight. Perrone is expensive, but worth the money, in my opinion. I've had mine almost six years and it still looks great and is holding up well. Yes, the blazer is cheaper, but be prepared to shell out money for a trench coat so you don't freeze to death when you're preflighting an airplane in Calgary with the temp at 5 degrees F!

Yeah, I can't do the trench coat. It's just too Inspector Gaget.

Luckily (a relative term here) I've been based in Dallas for the last year and really haven't had a need for anything other than the blazer and Eagle picked up half the bill on that so it didn't hurt too much.

Dont get either. Just freeze to death. Thats what I did. When asked why no jacket, simply said cant afford it yet. Lots of strange looks and one captain who swore that a jacket was required in the manual somewhere.
Oh and yes I was based in SLC.

yeah, i love the leather jackets, well, at mesaba we do not have them, there was talk about getting it as an optional item, but that talk stopped when more important things surfaces...like a false bankruptcy perpetrated by NWA and MEsaba. but back to the jackets, i am from minneapolis, and have owned a leather jacket and it was great in the coldest days and great well into spring and fall. The trench coat is great ...(sarcasm) cause the wind shoots right up the bottom and its so bulky it barely takes any room when you do not want to wear it when its warmer out.

And as for you idiots who are scared to look like something out of top gun, would you rather carry around another coat when you are in your crash pad or in a long over night? jeeze......oh.....and i hear some of the old guys who think it does not look professional.......lets see whats professional...

yes....polyester blazer and pants.....with penny loafers...or some other slip on.......a magnum mustash......(which i actually like somewhat) and wearing that silly hat ....wow....i would rather wear ....khakis and a white shirt.....cause as far as i am concerned, thats okay in the rest of the professional world and they all make more money than i do

Latest resources

Back