Skywest Interviewing~

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sky-doggie

Just scheduled a Nov. interview up in SLC. I am trying to get prepared and have been reviewing a lot of info, but hope some of you more experienced and maybe just "smarter" :0) guys can give me some answers to a couple of questions

1) under part 91 there are no takeoff mins. but under part 121/135 are the takeoff minimums for each carrier and each particular airport outlined in the company ops. specs? And do the ops specs usually state the minimums for the particular airport are below standard with adequate visual ref or standard or do they just tell you to refer to the airport/takeoff mins?

2) also do most turbo props have engine driven AC generators? What would be the benefit of an AC generator. and do all of the systems on the aircraft operate on AC or are some of the systems DC as well. and how does the electrical system convert AC-DC?

Does anyone know how many new hires Skywest is planning on bringing on by the end of the year? Do most of the guys/gals like myself with lower times end up in a Brazilia? Gosh I hope so!

Sky-dog

Cool, I just got the call, too. Here's what I know about your questions (*disclaimer* these are based on the turboprop I fly...others may be different. I only know my airplane :) ):

1. Standard takeoff mins for 135 are 1sm for two engine aircraft. This does not apply if the airport requires a different takeoff minimum (as noted on the jepp plate). Most ops specs allow the operator to lower the standard minimum to the lowest straight in approach minimums for that airport. Again, if the airport requires a different takeoff min, then one must use the published mins. Our ops spec allows us to even further lower our mins based on a number of other factors (i.e. training, 2 pilot evironment, aircraft equipment, etc).

2. My turbo commander has an engine driven Start/generator. It's nothing more than a small motor that is used to spin up the engine on start, then once the engine is rotating on its own and that little motor is spinning with it, it can put out DC power (it's now a generator). Our electrical system is DC powered, but we have invertors to convert DC to AC power for certain systems (radios, flight director, etc). Not sure how it physically converts DC to AC. I need to look that up as well.

Hope this kinda makes some sense and answers your questions!

B

Thanks Buschpilot~

Yes that helps I think I understand the takeoff minimums thing. Or at least feel capable of understanding what I can and cannot do! :0)

As far as the Generator/AC/DC thing I guess I'm just trying to understand why? DC might be used versus AC. What systems use AC vs DC and why?

Thanks! and Good luck yourself! Mine is on the 11th when are you headed up there? Do you know how many EMB120 people they are looking for. I'm just trying to see what my odds are :)
The next few weeks wil be filled with lots of studying!

The turboprops I have flown have had engine driven DC gens and AC gens that are driven off the propeller gear box. Usually you have 2 28v dc gens and 2 115v ac gens, and at least one TRU that converts ac power to dc power. There are also usually inverters that convert the dc power to fixed ac power. Plus, usually 2 24 or 28 volt DC Batteries with varying amps.

If you want to study general turboprop/jet systems, i'd recommend buying The Turbine Pilots Flight Manual by Greg Brown and Mark Holt. It is excellent prep for groundschool and interview prep. Good luck!

AC is converted to DC by means of a Transformer Rectifier (TR). DC is converted to AC using an inverter.

C'ya
BoilerBacker
(despite their current record!):(

Between now and the end of the year, SkyWest intends to bring on 60 Brasilia and 30 CRJ newhires. Most CRJ newhires have substantially more turbine time (about 1000 hours more) than most Brasilia newhires.

Thanks to all those that replied! I'll check out those resources!

skydog~

hey andy n.- out of the recent new hires into the 120. what percent would you guess have little or no turbine time?

thanks, bill

In the current class, 7 have none, 3 have 1-99, 4 have 100-500, 3 have 501-1000, 2 have over 1000. For the same hour blocks in the previous class the numbers were 9, 4, 3, 2, 0.

Latest resources

Back