• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rogue5

Adult Swim junkie
From Air Transport World Online:

SkyWest in talks with Continental about codeshare
Dateline: Tuesday April 29, 2003

SkyWest Airlines is negotiating a codeshare agreement with Continental Airlines to provide turboprop service between CO's Houston Intercontinental hub and Victoria, Tex., a move that could open the door for additional codeshare opportunities between the two carriers.

"At this point we are still in discussions. If we come to an agreement, yes, we will fly Brasilias," SkyWest VP-Marketing Steven Hart told ATWOnline. "[But] no contract has been announced."
Continental's Regional partner and majority-owned subsidiary ExpressJet flies an all-jet fleet, having retired the last of its turboprops in 2002. That makes smaller markets like Victoria ideal for airlines such as SkyWest that still operate turboprops. SkyWest has 75 Brasilias.

The Utah-based, publicly traded company currently operates in the United Express and Delta Connection feeder programs. As of May 1 it will fly 37 CRJs for United and 53 for Delta, according to Hart. "We expect that to even out by the end of the year with our United deliveries," he added.

Hart said United's financial woes have had little impact on SkyWest operations thus far: "We are feeling pretty confident about United these days."--Sandra Arnoult

Is this "Props for Jobs?" I had heard the deal involved COEX pilots flying E120's again. Any substantiation? Has ALPA ever seen an alter ego air carrier they did not love?

they should get the jobs...coex has about 250 on furlough and theres gonna be more as a result of the 200 pilots from cal coming back to express...cal had xjet retire all their props last yr and then pulls this sh#t of other carriers coming in and doing the same flying...not fair to our furloughed brothers and sisters (keep in mind..i mean absolutey NO offense to the skywest pilots...i understand 100percent it aint your fault)

Allowing furloughed CALEX pilots to be FO's on the E120's is the right thing to do if Commutair offered it in CLE. There would still be good expansion for Skywest Capt slots, and additional revenue for Skywest.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: :rolleyes:

I wouldn't have a problem alowing the furloughed folks on board. I doubt that there are that many that will want to commute to Houston

How would that work? Give furloughed CoEX pilots preferential interviews? Put them at the bottom of the Skywest list?

Hi!

Apparently, CommutAir is doing a type of "Props4Jobs" with CoEx in CLE. I read somewhere on this board was the SkyWest agreement would have to be negotiated differently, which I took to mean that SkyWest wouldn't do P4J with CoEx.

I think most of the J4J involved getting new aircraft to be used to feed in conjuction with the parent carrier. I think that SkyWest owns these airframes already, so it seems to me it is a different type of arrangement.

Also, from what I've read, I don't think SkyWest would go for a P4J. I read that they shot down J4J earlier for USAir.

Anyone from SkyWest know more on this?

Cliff
GRB

Here is how the deal with Commutair worked:

Furloughed COEX pilots were offered the opportunity to come fly for Commutair due to the growth of the Cleveland expansion. The first 33 (roughly) were bypassed a ExpressJets request due to their being scheduled for a recall. The rest were offered a one shot deal, they had to come when they were called, or the offere was rescinded. In the end around 50 (roughly speaking again) ended coming over. Commutair is now hiring off the street for the foreseeable future.

Now the question has to be asked, if Skywest ends up in a props for jobs situation, and pay is going to be better on the 120 than it is on the 1900, will the guys who went to Commutair have the opportunity to go to Skywest?

Last edited:
SKW Bro's in IAH...

Not sure what to think about this. Our managment has only come out and said it was in talks, nothing signed yet. This was not widely announced at SKW, and was only for rumor control. I for one am not a big fan of us flying under the CO banner with furloughed COEX pilots out on the street.

I'm not sure that we would get into a P4J type deal. The reason SKW pilots shot down the USAir J4J deal was that it superceded our senority system in a big way, and nobody was down with that. With COEX it might be different. Hiring them and putting them in the right seat of the Bro might not be a bad deal for all involved..... other than the first year pay, of course! -sr.

Latest resources

Back