• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aussiefly

Hey everyone!

First post so ill keep it brief :)

I'm an aussie which is moving to the US in about 6 weeks and i've been hunting around for flight schools with a decent reputation and good aircraft MX wise.

I've sort of narrowed it down to Skymates in TX as thats where i'll be living. Having said that I dont mind shifting for 6 months until I finish my certs.

I am considering skymates professional pilot course which has the following ratings:

Private Pilot, Instrument, Commercial, Multi-Engine, Flight Instructor, Instrument Instructor and Multi-Engine Instructor certificates and ratings.

With the hours made up of : 295 hours with a minimum of 130 hours Multi-engine time for $37,900

Now I know thats a fair chunk of change but at least I would be getting some quality hours and instruction all together rather than some PFT/PFJ type training rubbish. I am then sort of planning to stick arround and instruct for a year or so.

So what experiences do you all have with skymates, good reputation etc?.

Career wise I could probably earn more as an accountant but i've really been struck with the flying bug. I had an introductory flight about 3 months ago and havent looked back. In fact i've logged about 25 hours in a 152 so far. So unfortunately i'm stuck with flying and theres no other way about it :) I'm sort of looking at airnet and freight dawg jobs when I can meet part 135 mins. If I could then get some turbine PIC I would ideally like to move on to one of the big cargo outfits like evergreen, kalitta, atlas etc.

So what do you all think? Reasonable expectations ?

Cheers
Dang - didn't end up being brief at all :)

Does cheaper mean better? Also the Skymates program is 6 months and not 9 months long.... Just wondering what the price is attached to this other place you are speaking of since the website does not show it.

as you know, all those hours and prices quoted will be relative. i have 250.4 hours, almost 30 ME hours, and i have spent under $27,000 since June 15, and that includes 4 checkrides, a retest (stupid holds...) and 2 headsets, as well as 2 King Schools pilot kits. that's PPL, INST, COMM-MEL and SEL. I can guarantee you i'll come in cheaper than $37,000 for my instructor ratings due to friends that are instructors helping me out a bit. i'm at Epic Aviation in New Smyrna Beach, FL (www.epicaviation.com) i also work dispatch, so gimme a call at 1-866-Fly-Epic and i'll answer your questions. keep shopping around, though. i think you can do better.

What about for both of these places the Multi Engine Instructor rating and MEII ratings? I know NAIA said that is an additional price what about Epic? Also with Epic hasnt there been a few problems with planes in the news? Also housing is included in Skymates and NAIA how about Epic? Any input on this would greatly appreciated because I am now a year away from starting upon graduation from college. Also what are the hours like upon completion of training and also how likely is it to get an Instructor job after completing the courses?

Last edited:
There was one problem in the news. we had a landing gear issue w/ an airplane we no longer have. they elected, for some reason, to drive under it and pull the gear down manually instead of bellying it in. don't let this be an indication of the maintenance here. i've flown at other places before and i think that our maintenance is the best i've seen, no doubt. they're quick, efficient and thorough. as for the MEI and MEII (never heard of that before, i assume you mean CFII) instructor ratings, here's what it is right now, though this was for 2005:
1) CFI
50 hours CFI ground class (don't think this is here anymore) - $1000
10 hours ground instruction - $450
15 hours dual in an SP and RG - $2055 TOTAL = $3505

2) CFII add-on
10 hours ground - $450
5 hours dual in plane - $680
5 hours in level 3 FTD - $315 TOTAL = $1445

3)MEI
10 hours ground - $450
15 hours dual - $2985 TOTAL $3435

GRAND TOTAL = $8385

now here's the disclaimer: this is a VERY loose representation of what really happens. it all depends on your abilities as a pilot. we have no set guidelines. if you suck at flying and instructing, we're not going to release you til you're done. if you are god's gift to aviation, we'll get you out in no time. we dont' milk you, we're not starving for business. it's really a good school to go to. all the instruction is one-on-one. we don't have any classes in the traditional sense. PM me your mailing address and i'll send you any info you want.

Just one word on this matter. Just go to ATP. www.allatps.com is their website. Believe me, good mx, they deliever what they promise. And you can get done in 3 mths what you want to get done. I'm not an employee and didn't do the course there myself (I kick myself now). I did my MEI and CFI there. Did it in a weekend. Had I have done the whole 9-yards there then I'd probably have an airline job just like 99.9% of their other guys. Just my 2 cents.

Smash312 said:
Just one word on this matter. Just go to ATP. www.allatps.com is their website. Believe me, good mx, they deliever what they promise. And you can get done in 3 mths what you want to get done. I'm not an employee and didn't do the course there myself (I kick myself now). I did my MEI and CFI there. Did it in a weekend. Had I have done the whole 9-yards there then I'd probably have an airline job just like 99.9% of their other guys. Just my 2 cents.
that worries me right there. there's no reason that you should be able to get your CFI and MEI in a weekend. how safe/knowledgeable are the instructors coming out of this joint?

If that worries you right there then that's your point of view (and you're entitled to one). I've been a CFI-I for two years prior. Maybe I should have said that. But my point is that they do what they say, just go on their website and check it out.

I have a problem with people who are 'worried' about how fast people get their certificates. I mean, people are different. Some people train forever and are still crap pilots (have poor airmanship) and some are quick learners. If the FAA examiner doesn't have a problem, who the hell are you (or I for that matter) to have a problem. I'm sure if it were unsafe then the FAA examiner would just issue a pink slip.

But ATP that 90 day program is great, however if you have nothing you have to get your private first and therefore it will end up being around the same amount of time. Am i wrong in saying that you can only do the 90 day program if you have your PPL first?

Latest resources

Back