Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ToiletDuck

Ninja
I've been offered a position flying freight. However they fly single pilot part 135 for the most part. With UPS or Majors in mind which route is better. I can instantly get multi and very soon if not right away(don't know if I get the turbine aircraft but I know i get a twin regardless) however, the flying would be single pilot 135. Do UPS or airlines consider the 121 experierence very heavily compared to overall experience? If the majors were the goal would taking the job flying freight getting multi/turbine PIC not equivelate to 121 time? It would take a few years to upgrade 121 however I would eventually get my PIC time. But I could start now and build my PIC twi turbine experience 135 wise flying cargo.. It's the lack of CRM that I'm wondering about.

If your goal is to go 121, then it would probably be better to get a job at a 121 regional as opposed to a 135 outfit. If you are just looking to build time to get to a regional, 135 time looks good. But, going from 135 to a 121 major is not as easy - not impossible, just not as easy. Majors like to see crew time and stuff like that.

Personally, I wouldn't fly single pilot anything. That's just me - i've been flying in a crew environment for so long i'd get lost if i was by myself!

Good luck!

I've been offered a position flying freight. However they fly single pilot part 135 for the most part. With UPS or Majors in mind which route is better.

You don't really say what your choice is . . . . . you've been offered a job, and you don't know if you should take it . . . . . because of your goal to end up at UPS or "on of the majors". What are you presently doing? What are your other options?

Last edited:
What are you doing now?

If you're unemployed or FI'ing take the job. Total time and turbine PIC is king. You'll be in a Part 135 operation. That is a controlled environment very similar to 121 with it's own rules and regs that must be considered.

Gup

I currently fly for a 135 outfit flying two crew one day and single pilot the next and we have Guys getting hired at 121 companies with no problem!
It all comes down to who you know.;)

Part 135 multi turbine PIC is way more important to your resume than 121 SIC time. I know a lot of pilots with 5000+ 121 SIC time that are stuck in a CRJ/ERJ or in second tier freight/charter 72's and DC9's because they have no turbine PIC. The overwhelming majority of them have degrees and are excellent pilots but they can't get interviews at SWA, FedEx, UPS, JB, AirTran, etc because they don't have any turbine PIC.

121 turbine PIC is probably perceived by HR types as being slightly better than 135 turbine PIC if you are targeting a 121 major, but there are plenty of 135 guys/gals flying for majors. I wouldn't pass up 135 multi turbine PIC in hopes of someday getting a shot at CRJ/ERJ 121 turbine PIC. With very,very few exceptions major airlines don't differentiate between 121/135/91 turbine PIC. Either one will get you an interview and without any turbine PIC you won't. It's just that simple.

You have to have multi turbine PIC. Period. Get it as soon as you can and your choices of employment expand dramatically.

Take the PIC Turbine, PIC turbine is king. Do not go to the regionals until you have 1500 hours of it. Then, if the lifestyle doesn't suit you, leave. You will be a much better aviator because of your single pilot time and you will be marketable to any 121 carrier.

I've been offered a position flying freight. However they fly single pilot part 135 for the most part. With UPS or Majors in mind which route is better. I can instantly get multi and very soon if not right away(don't know if I get the turbine aircraft but I know i get a twin regardless) however, the flying would be single pilot 135. Do UPS or airlines consider the 121 experierence very heavily compared to overall experience? If the majors were the goal would taking the job flying freight getting multi/turbine PIC not equivelate to 121 time? It would take a few years to upgrade 121 however I would eventually get my PIC time. But I could start now and build my PIC twi turbine experience 135 wise flying cargo.. It's the lack of CRM that I'm wondering about.

All my turbine PIC time is single pilot as well as every other fighter pilot in the world. There are 2 guys in my unit at CAL, 3 at FDX, 2 at SWA, 2 at JBL, 3 at DAL, 3 at United, and 2 at American. I'd say single pilot turbine PIC works just fine for the majors.

Single pilot--Good or bad?

Duuude, bein single izz like ALLL GOOOOD!!!

Somma dem flightee attendee babes be likez diggin dem married dudes, so jus ta shake tings up, ole Ty Guy dun tolld me dat sometimez likes ifn I playz likez I be marrieed, dat it helpz gets wit somma da babes.

Duuuuuude!!!! Heees friggin rite!!! Tanks ole Ty Guy!!!

AWWWWWW YYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duuuuude!

Sorry an stuff, I jus like saw dat dis stuff wasznt aboutsz da hotties an stuff. My friggin baaad.

Duuude, da Tranny wantz dat ole part 1-20-1 time an stuff, so ifn yoo jus gotza get wit da Tranny, den gets wit da 1-20-1 an like leave dat udder stuff in da rear veew meerer!

Latest resources

Back