• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

Shipping/Trucking Cessna overland?

Sam Snead

Roger, Roger.
Total Time
Does anyone have any experience buying a used aircraft that for some reason is unable to be flown to the new location, and putting it in some sort of container and towing it or trucking it?

I assume the wings would be taken off and packed alongside, like they put gliders on trailers.

My questions are, how much does this cost to have it done professionally? Can you "do it yourself"? What kind of container do you need?

Your expertise much appreciated.

navigator72

Total Time
1700+
I would think it would be easier to take the wings off and have it strapped to a flatbed truck.

hotwings402

Total Time
It'll fit in a container pretty easily. Tail and wings have to be off. It can be put on a flatbed trailer as long as the wings and tail are off also.

cleflyer

Total Time
Last summer we pulled 2 C-150's out of a barn in Ohio and shipped them in a 22' box truck. We had to take the wings and tail off both airplanes (don't forget buckets for the fuel). The most difficult part was how to get it into the truck. We had a liftgate and forklift combo and it still was a precarious situation.

It's always better to have an A&P or IA there to take charge of the project because someone will have to put it back together and keep track of all the parts.

Lastly don't forget the 2x4s and straps and blankets to keep everything from moving around.

johnpeace

#199 of 201
Total Time
~1800
I did my PPL in Hawaii. While I was in training, my flight school received a 172SP in a container. It had been shipped from somewhere on the mainland.

Later we moved to GA. When we moved, all of our household stuff went into a container exactly the same size. It cost us around $3K to pack and ship that container from Hawaii to Ga...maybe that info will give you a ballpark.