• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Serching for DC-8/747 Cockpit Seat...

PurpleMember

Total Time
30 min
Anyone know of an airport or parts place where I could procure an old flight deck seat from either a DC-8 or 747 cockpit?

Don't care about condition...

Thanks!

Whale Rider

Unity is Our Strength
Total Time
V-STALL said:
Try contacting these guys http://www.motoart.com/html/about.htm if they can't sell you one directly, I'm sure they can tell you who can. Good luck. BTW... whatcha ya gonna do with it?

Whatever happened to thier TV show on the Discovery Channel???

PurpleMember

Total Time
30 min
Thanks for the good link! Making a retirement gift for the old man, in case he has trouble sleeping at home, he can just go sit in the captains chair and fall fast asleep in 15 seconds flat...

KeroseneSnorter

Robust Member
Total Time
Miller
Call the bone yards out in Arizona, All have them for sale......not cheap though, at least they were not about 5 years ago.The trick is to try and find one that is red tagged and not servicable anymore.

I ended up scrounging the seat I was looking for from my airline as the a/c type was being retired. Cost me a couple of cases of whiskey.

They make nice rocking chairs, had a buddy in the welding business fix me up for cost of the aluminum tubing.

The salvage yards can fix you up, but if you know some of the senior folks in an airline maint. facility that will be the cheapest way. I was quoted everything from $900 to $3000 in my search for a seat......so the cases of booze was far cheaper!! I would wager that the 8 seat will be far easier than the 74 will be. I got lucky because the type I was looking for was being sorteed to the desert at the rate of 5 a month.

Same deal with the retirement gift here...he loves it. Even still has the 5 point harness on it!! Keeps him from falling out while napping!! :)

Dizel8

Douglas metal
Total Time
Huh?
PM,

If you find a line on an 8 seat, I would love to hear about it, might make a good office chair.

A while back, I saw some B-52 seats made into office chairs, pretty slick, but expensive IIRC.

V-STALL

The Resourcer!
Total Time
8200+
Whale Rider said:
Whatever happened to thier TV show on the Discovery Channel???

Not sure? Maybe after that big dude died, they cancelled the show.

LR25

Its just a vintage VW
Total Time
DC-9's have the same seat for the most part, might make the search a little better.