Rejected from SWA, but keeping the faith

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jijarwm

I was rejected from SWA a few months ago.

I interviewed in this Spring, got the reject letter eight weeks later that said two years to wait, then another letter in the Summer that reduced that to one year.

I’ll admit, I got the interview early because I knew someone at SWA who’d been there for a long time, and he helped me out quite a bit. I felt very blessed to have such a good friend who was well connected. However, that wasn’t enough to get the job (this year).

I think my resume’s pretty good. Pretty much all military turbo-prop. Type rated, clean record, except for some 20 year old traffic tickets (which I fessed up to). No DUIs, no accidents, no board actions.

I thought my interview went well. I did about 4 interview preps, one was paid for by me (by a well-reputed and extremely helpful prep consultant that has been referred to on this board), one was through the govt in San Antonio, TX and two were just good folks at SWA who were trying to help me out. I smiled, I was myself, I wasn’t overprepped, (or at least I thought so), I can’t really think of anyplace I might have stumbled in the interview or LOI.

I have no bitterness against SWA. They've got the difficult task of trying to separate the cream from the cream. I imagine the process of selecting people right now is about like choosing a Space Shuttle crew. Lots of very qualified folks with outstanding resumes.

I got out of the military right before my interview. I was sitting on pins and needles waiting for eight weeks for the Decision Board.

One good thing was I was picked up for the Reserves flying as a flight instructor right after I got out. The week after I found out I didn’t get picked up at SWA was not fun. However, within two weeks after the rejection letter came, I was interviewed and hired as a maintenance engineer on the same base as my reserve job.

I feel blessed that I have a job that supports my family and is so close to my flying reserve job. But, it ain’t easy. I get up at 5:30 every morning to go to my cubicle to solve maintenance problems, and it’s not what I intended to do with my life. There are many “WHY ME?” days. If I were to win the lottery or if my wife had a good job that could support us, I’d go to a regional without a thought about it. I love to fly and that’s all I want to do. But, that’s not the lemons life gave me to make lemonade, so I have to do what I have to do.

There are also many thoughts of maybe I should have done this or that, including staying military. However, my opportunities to continue flying were pretty much nil. But, it doesn’t matter anyway, cause I can’t get back in.

Although it’s not the greatest of situations, I still feel like I’m being looked after from the man upstairs. I’ve got friends who can’t make it to their reserve jobs much, because their current (non-flying) jobs are too far away. I have a friend or two who’ve gone through divorces and other major family traumas in their military to civ transitions. And, my family is healthy and together, but a little strained. So, I feel like a blessed man.

I also am in a pool for a very good govt. flying job. But, I’ve been waiting for over a year and a half for that to come through. It’s possible I could start next week, but it’s also possible it may never happen. The good thing is, if it does happen, it’s also on the base where I currently work.

Anyway, I’ve been looking at the site for over two years and one thing I can say is although there is good information from time to time, there are a lot of gloom and doom-ists out there that make it a pain to read sometimes.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but one overstated gripe on any particular day can put a number of people in a slump, so I try to take it all with a grain of salt and I advise my friends to do the same.

I am one of many silly-hearted dreamers who always wanted to fly for a living. And, right now is a bad time to be one of those people. I do have faith that this thing will get better. Why?

1. The economy can’t stay bad forever, it has ups and downs. People will get tired of driving in traffic jams, they’ll get over their terror fears (however well founded), and they’ll start paying more for better service. It’s just going to take some time.

2. There are going to be a lot of airline pilots retiring soon. Why not so much now? It’s 2004. 60 years ago there was a war on. The baby boomers who make up a large chunk of the senior airline pilots weren’t born until 50-58 years ago. They’ll have to retire soon. Yeah, I know they’re trying to up the age limit from 60, so it may or may not be in two years. But, they’re going to be gone fairly soon.

So, what’s my point?

I want to get a message across that it’s not all gloom and doom. The sky isn’t falling. If you ride the storm out things will get better. I’ve got faith that it will. I have to. If not, I’m never going to be happy again.

I’m going to live my life, help my kids with their homework, pet the dog, and just try to be a good guy.

Maybe SWA will take me next year, maybe I’ll keep going back every spring until I’m 59 and keep getting rejected. Whatever!

Here’s the rest of my soapbox, take it or leave it. If I offend anyone, sorry. I’ve been offended a few times by looking at this website. Also, people from other religions have offended me. Primarily, 19 people who ruined this industry 3 years ago.

I have found some comfort in my beliefs. Here are some web-sites that have helped me. Again, take it or leave it. Be miserable and think it’s all BS or find some serenity. If I help one person, I’ll be happy.

This guy makes me happy every time I watch his TV show. I hope he doesn’t turn out to be another Jim Bakker or Jimmy Swaggert. He gives Christianity a good name:<http://www.joelosteen.com/site/PageServer>

Some other things to think about:
<http://www.victorious.org/unprayer.htm>

Why not to worry:
<http://www.wordtruth.com/mat_6b.htm>

I’m not a big Bible-thumper. My neighbor says I go to church more than anybody. But, I say I need it more than anybody. I still drink too much beer, cuss, and I’m a general smart-a$$. But, I believe I'm being helped out. So should you.

Last edited:
jijarwm,

I know one person that appreciates the fact you have shared your thoughts/feelings with others on this message board.

I'm in the same boat as you-maybe just a diffrent color.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Keep the faith!

That is one reason that I NEVER do any prep for interviews. I figure go there and be myself...if they don't like it too bad..

jijarwm,

Keep the faith brother. Review Romans 8:28. Things will work out.

enigma

I think one of the biggest mistakes a well qualified guy can make is to limit his choice to one airline. I was turned down by two major airlines before I got hired by the third. Continental was the first one to turn me down and had it been my only choice, I'd not be where I am now. A good job is a good job. SWA is one of today's best choices but you might be shooting yourself in the foot by not diversifying.

Thanks for the excellent post. I have been in your position, having interviewed four plus years ago at SWA. After my interview I tried to help everyone I knew get through the process as cleanly as possible. It isn't exactly insider information, but it helped get a couple of my friends hired. Hopefully they will help pull me through if I get another opportunity to interview.

Since the interview a great deal has happened and you adjust. I see friends in the flight operations with the smiles of pre-interview days, to the frowns of post interview rejection. There are many in our shoes, we are all good aviators, our day will come.

LL

de727ups said:
I think one of the biggest mistakes a well qualified guy can make is to limit his choice to one airline. I was turned down by two major airlines before I got hired by the third. Continental was the first one to turn me down and had it been my only choice, I'd not be where I am now. A good job is a good job. SWA is one of today's best choices but you might be shooting yourself in the foot by not diversifying.
I've got apps/resumes in everywhere. SWA is the only place that's interviewed me. I've got insiders helping me at SWA, Alaska, FedEx, UPS, Cathay and ATA, but none at AirTran, JB, F9, America West, etc. I just keep updating and hoping for the best.

Last edited:
jijarwm,

Thanks for the great post. I hope you find a job of your liking soon! The links you provided were fantastic, very inspiring to say the least.

Dude,

Right now, I sense you're in the desert. or the refiner's fire. did you love the idea of working for Southwest more than you love God? Was it your God? Has the word made you free, indeed?

My point is have you surrendered completely to Jesus Christ, our advocate and Lord before the Father? If so, brace yourself for the blessing. It took the Israelites forty years to find the promised land so close to their location.

God will remove those things in one's life that hinder our relationship.

By the way I drink beer,liquor, fart, burp, cuss, dip, eat the scraps off my wife's plate, drive agressively, lust at women's butts, (I'm married) and many more egregious sins too numerous to mention here. No one will enter the kingdom by having kept the law. The law is whatever we think we can do to EARN God's approval. We can't . that's why He sent His Son.

God will bless you!. It is right around the corner! Don't call Him the man upstairs, call Him who He is..God , the Father Almighty.

Latest resources

Back