Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional wannabes flying jets at flight school!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
guys.... its still SINGLE ENGINE turbine time... and it isn't an F-16 here.... What are majors let alone regionals gonna think of this time....

For the most part, ATP is a rating mill of sorts anyways. Now you are going to have "qualified" pilots with jet experience and have no "real world" experience getting hired before the CFI who has worked their a$$ off and has been around the perverbial patch a time or two.... I see regional airline training failure rates going up.....

Eagle maybe considered a major by the DOT retard, but what the DOT doesnt look at is infrastructure. None of the regionals have infrastructure that the major airlines have, which they also utilize to actually function as a 121 airline. Independence thought that they could actually compete against the major airlines and everyone from United to Alaska pushed them out of the market. No regional cant survive without fuel protection, paying for ground services, and airport landing fees. Sometimes I am actually amazed at how some regional airline pilots (prop or jet) actually do not grasp that concept. We are around cause the major airlines can make money off us, or we arent as much of a loss as their own pilots doing it.

Eagle maybe considered a major by the DOT retard, but what the DOT doesnt look at is infrastructure. None of the regionals have infrastructure that the major airlines have, which they also utilize to actually function as a 121 airline. Independence thought that they could actually compete against the major airlines and everyone from United to Alaska pushed them out of the market. No regional cant survive without fuel protection, paying for ground services, and airport landing fees. Sometimes I am actually amazed at how some regional airline pilots (prop or jet) actually do not grasp that concept. We are around cause the major airlines can make money off us, or we arent as much of a loss as their own pilots doing it.

I don't really see it that way. "Regional airline pilots" are "Domestic Pilots". The word "regional" only refers to pay scale and work rules. We fly all of the same routes with higher frequency. It is more like mainline couldn't survive without us. Try putting mainline aircraft on our schedule. It would be cost prohibitive. This is a scheme that was well laid out in the early 80's to massively redistribute the wealth. And, it seems to be working quite well.

Gentlemen,

I beleive part of this is ATP's diversifying its operations by offering training for those individuals who purchase a D-Jet and are required to have a factory qualified training program. This is actually a very smart move on their part as I can see the number of prospective pilots willing to drop 45 - 75k for a regional pilot job may be dwindling.

In regards to the accusation that ATP is a ratings mill your dead on. They do it extremely well. Get your tickets and move on. There is nothing wrong with that.

Spoken like a true gel spikin' , IPOD slammin' , backpack tottin' regional F/O.

I don't use hair gel, could not justify buying an IPOD, do not wear a backpack like a mo', and do not fly for a living...........yet......but when I do I don't plan on conforming to the stereotype......pops

I don't really see it that way. "Regional airline pilots" are "Domestic Pilots". The word "regional" only refers to pay scale and work rules. We fly all of the same routes with higher frequency. It is more like mainline couldn't survive without us. Try putting mainline aircraft on our schedule. It would be cost prohibitive. This is a scheme that was well laid out in the early 80's to massively redistribute the wealth. And, it seems to be working quite well.

To say that majors cant live with out regionals is absolutely absurd. The only reason why majors actually have feeders is it isnt cost efficient for them to run that route with their own planes/pilots. In retrospect now with reduced pay and regional a/c becoming larger, you will see more of those routes come back to mainline. For example, Doug Parker(ceo of the new us airways) said he wants to reduce his regional flying. If you take a good look at the E190 and compare it to layouts of the E170-175 you will see the seat range diff. is only roughly 11-17 seats. Depending on the configuration you put the a/c in. To split the profits between two companies (mainline & feeder) on a certain route is not as profitable as it used to be. More and more airline management is discovering that the loss value would be lower or profit would be higher doing that line of flying in house. But yes you will have routes that mainline carries just do not want to deal with. Look at Airtran and Jetblue, Airtran tried feed using Air whisky an the end they cancelled it, look at jetblue, they using their 190's for that purpose. Legacy carriers you will see in the future will follow those examples.

Gentlemen,

I beleive part of this is ATP's diversifying its operations by offering training for those individuals who purchase a D-Jet and are required to have a factory qualified training program. This is actually a very smart move on their part as I can see the number of prospective pilots willing to drop 45 - 75k for a regional pilot job may be dwindling.

In regards to the accusation that ATP is a ratings mill your dead on. They do it extremely well. Get your tickets and move on. There is nothing wrong with that.

So have you been captain to any Fo's from this ATP?

So have you been captain to any Fo's from this ATP?

His statement above clearly shows he has not. I have seen them in training granted and some do ok....but at least 50% are no sharper than the well trained Private/Instrument.

His statement above clearly shows he has not. I have seen them in training granted and some do ok....but at least 50% are no sharper than the well trained Private/Instrument.

Yes I have flown with pilots from all sorts of backgrounds - including ATP

What statement was that ??

Latest resources

Back