Questions for Aloha and Hawaiian Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Heavy Set

I just returned from a quick trip to the beautiful Hawaiian Islands and I have a few questions for the Aloha and Hawaiian pilots out there. I had a chance to fly on a zippy Hawaiian 717 - very impressive aircraft with a very advanced flight deck.

1. Is it true that the Intra-Island flying on the 717s and 737-200s is very senior? Are the pilots flying the 767s and 737-700s to the mainland relatively junior? For newhires, which aircraft would be likely - would Aloha newhires start on the 737-700?

2. Will Aloha likely replace its ageing 737-200s any time soon? If so, what is the likely replacement - more 717s?

3. For the former 737-200 and DC-9 and DC-10 pilots out there, how do you like the newer, advanced equipment (737-700, 717 and 767) vs. the older equipment? Do you miss the older equipment?

4. Is either airline hiring at the moment - if not, when would that likely happen - any rumors?

Thanks

Last edited:
Aloha is currently hiring. We're looking at 48 more through next June. The way to get in is to have a letter of recommendation and someone walk in your resume and go to bat for you.

At Aloha, all new-hires start in the -200. Contractually, you have to have 6 months on-line (flying the line, not DOH) before you can bid into the -700. Up until recently, FO's were getting junior-assigned into -700 after reaching 6 months on line. The last system bid was the first time there was no junior-assigning people to the -700.

As for interisland, I agree with Jim - it's great for family people. It allows you to be home every night. However, unlike Hawaiian, Aloha also operates a QC operation at night and we fly cargo at night to Neighbor Islands. We fly bread, mail, newspaper, you name it... I've flown a brand-new Lexus in the back of a B737.

All in all, at Aloha, you have something for everyone. If you're a "traditional" type pilot and you want to go on the road, then the -700 is your thing. You'll fly up and down the West Coast, Central and South Pacific. If you're a family person and want to be home every night with your family and not miss out on things, then you want to stay interisland. If you are a night owl, you have night cargo. Also, night cargo is great for commuters and those who want to travel around since you work 12 or 13 days a month. With some creative bidding/trading, I've heard of guys ending up with 30+ days off in a row.

As for replacing the -200, your guess is as good as mine. I've heard everything from -600's and -700's to ERJ-190's like JetBlue. Interisland flying is pretty hard on the airplanes as you put cycles on like nowhere else. Also, the replacement aircraft has to be QC-capable. Between those 2 things, I don't know. We'll find out soon enough.

Jim said:
As of the last bid, the junior Hawaiian pilot not furloughed was seniority #348.

The junior 767 Captain is #212
The junior 717 Captain is #173

The junior 767 FO is #348
The junior 717 FO is #337

Before the furloughs when we were flying the DC-10s, most of the junior guys were all DC-10 FEs. Than there were about 25 or so DC-10 and 767 FOs before and you hit the junior 717 FO.

Ouch. And I am # 352.

Just to add to what Jim said, the 717 is somewhat senior to the 767, but only for the bottom guys. When we had all 445 people flying (and I had 95 or so below me) I could have held 717 FO, but very close to the bottom. It stayed that way right up until I was furloughed and probably will remain so for some time to come.

The latest rumors is that there will be more furloughs this fall as we cut back on a few more flights (mostly Maui nonstops from the west coast) because right now HA is running on the ragged edge of disaster. They didn't get the last two 767's they expected from Boeing because of the bankruptcy so there are absolutely no spares, even for regular maintenance. It's turned into a real headache anytime there are maintenance or other problems, so for now their only real alternative is to cut back on some flying to get some breathing room. Hopefully they'll be back on track soon and Jim and I can get back where we belong.

HAL

Looking for a friend

Hi guys,

Sorry this is kinda off-topic but I'm looking for an old buddy of mine from college and I think he's with Aloha now.

Anyone know Fred Dimaya pls either email me or pass him my email address.

Cheers.

John Yong
[email protected]

Skyboss said:
BTW.. Your airline kicks ass.

Thanks! Although right now I'd like to kick some management ass, the rest of the employees do a great job. Thanks for the complement.

HAL

Latest resources

Back