Question for ATC/FSS folks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

groundpointsix

Last night I tried to file an IFR flight plan for a training flight with my student. I intended to file to a nearby airport to shoot multiple approaches, then direct to a VOR, then via a radial to the IAF (an intersection) at our home airport where I intended to practice holding with my student. When the briefer tried to enter the route he told me the computer told him "PKB radial 263 to FARLN intersection may only be used in conjunction with a preferred route." He wasn't sure why it wouldn't accept it. Now, to my knowledge there are no preferred routes to any airport in S.E. Ohio or N.W. West Virginia, so where is the computer coming up with this? For those unfamiliar with the area, FARLN intersection is formed by the intersection of two radials (off PKB and ZZV) and lies on one victor airway (V133). I'm unsure if it lies on a jet airway or not. We came up with a workaround for the flight plan, but I'm not always in an airplane with GPS so filing direct isn't always an option. (Particularly when your GPS fails as ours did last night) If any of you ATC/FSS people can give me a clue as to why this didn't work I'd appriciate it so I can do it correctly in the future and teach my student what happened. (Can't beat being wrong in front of a student, eh?)

Why can you not go "direct" from UNI to PKB? Next time, do not file this crap on the approach plates unless you give the briefer the lat/long coordinates. Also, you shouldn't do that anyway and instead just file UNI-PKB-UNI round robbing and advise HTS approach of your intentions. What are they teaching you down there????

Art V.

groundpointsix said:
*chop*...When the briefer tried to enter the route he told me the computer told him "PKB radial 263 to FARLN intersection may only be used in conjunction with a preferred route."...
*chop*
...FARLN intersection is formed by the intersection of two radials (off PKB and ZZV) and lies on one victor airway (V133)...

how about PKB direct FARLN? or didn't that work either?

I've had two times where filing from a VOR to a fix and then to another place (usually a vor) didn't work...but when we instead went VOR direct FIX direct VOR, it worked out wonderfully...

You still use the radial, but the computer doesn't kick it out...the guy at FSS was real nice and tried explaining it to me but I almost fell asleep and by the end was cramming the rest of the info down his throat...

interesting situation though...

-mini

It may be that FSS was misspelling the intersection, I had a big problem in my area with a HARTS and HARPS intersection. It always took multipile trys to file over the telephone.

I agree with Art about leaving the approach out of the flight plan, it has no business in it. ATC will do this for you in the air. Just file a round robin flight plan for local IFR training flights.

Art, where did your good avatar go????

Usually what I do is File from RVS - KEVIL - RVS and put Practice approaches in the Remarks section.

Once departing RVS, you call approach and say you want the 17 into Pogue (another airport) or whatever....

I wouldn't File RVS - TUL - RVS or something like that cause if you have a radio failure, you have to go to TUL and stay there. But when you file the flightplan and make Departure airport and Arrival Airport the same you can fly home if you have a radio failure.

i think art got this one right? why not file direct PKB...what we do in NW Ohio (where we do thing better than at UNI :rolleyes: ) would be file (D->ACO,D->) listing the destination as the home airport, and MPLA (Multiple Practice Low Approaches) in the remarks section, along with HOLDS at ACO, or what ever VOR you guys uses there...up on getting your IFR clearence the controller asks "what approaches in the order you inted to fly them?" you give approachs and, Bingo, you're golden...the only thing that sucks is you don't always get the hold you want you're more at the mercy of there traffic spacing...Now i guess what i'm getting at is why can't you file in the same manner? D-> to the nearest VOR to PKB,which i think is also PKB? then D-> to UNI? now one thing to watch out for, our FSS (Cleveland) told us to start placing the MPLA in the remarks section cause CAK was getting sick of seeing each individual approach in the system, now i'm not sure how that is at PKB if the "MPLA" is a universal abbreviation or if you'd be screwed and get a clearence to the VOR closest to PKB and D->to UNI...(that'd be funny)....

best of luck with that...Check your PM if i get time i might shoot you one checking up on a few UNI CFI's that i know...

Latest resources

Back