Question: Aloha/Hawaiian pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

asipilot

I'm a pilot for USA Jet Airlines and am taking vacation to Kaui in a couple weeks. I was trying to figure out if I could jumseat on either airlines from HNL to LIH. I know prior to 9/11 we were listed on aloha's JS, but I can't get any good current info from our company rep. Hawaiian, I'm not sure we have ever had privleges to JS... Anyhow, any info is appreciated.

Mahalo ~jeb~

P.S.

Any must does on Kauai

Either Aloha or Hawaiian will take ya (you'll have to sit in the back, of course). If you take the first flights of the day(ouch), you'll have the best chance of getting a seat. Avoid Friday and Sunday afternoons.

- If you like hiking, the Na Pali coast is phenomenal.

- If you like really, really, long hiking, the 11-mile Na Pali Coast hike to Kalalau beach, camp overnight, hike back is awesome.

- If you like scenic boat rides and snorkling, the Na Pali day trips rock.

- If you like Kayaking, the Wailua Falls kayak trip is easy and beautiful.

- If you like endurance kayaking and phenomenal views, the guided Na Pali Kayak trips from Haena to Polehale Beach (all day) are great.

- If you like fishing for big fish, Nawiliwili Harbor has Charter trips available ( I recommend Capt Wild Bill if he's still there)

- If you like horseback riding along sea cliffs (it's safe), then CMJ Stables in Poipu is for you.

- If you like golf, Princeville and Poipu are great as well as Kiahuna.

-Scenic drive with an a$$kicking view...Drive up to Koke'e and hike down into Waimea Canyon a ways. There are some private waterfalls to be found around there ;)

-Go for a swim at Brenneke's in Poipu.

-If you have taken complete leave of your senses and find helicopters amusing, the waimea canyon tours are worth the coin.

Kauai is my favorite Island. Let us know how you liked it.

By the way, do you have a degree? (inside joke, that a few here will get, especially PilotYIP)

There's a helicopter company at Lihue that accepts jumpseaters. I think it is Safari. It's basically going as a standby non-rev.

Just tip big.

Wow! lot's of great ideas, I tried to get permits to hike the Napali coast, but it's booked solid for the next three months! I think I'm going rent a cabin just outside of koke'e and do the hike down in to Waimea canyon. I might try the kayak trip you mentioned, sounds great. I think my jumpseat on Kalitta gets in to HNL about 8:00a local, so maybe I'll have a good chance gettin to LIH, just hope I don't get stuck! I'll let ya know how it goes, this is my first time in Hawaii, can't wait!

Oh, I have 2 degrees, that always throws pilotyip into deep discussion!!!

Thanks, Jeb

I just looked up the newest jumpseat list for Hawaiian (dated May 4th this year) and USA Jet is not on it. By our FOM unless you're on the list or the Captain has personal knowledge of you and your airline you probably won't get on. Sorry. Best bet is to get your jumpseat representative to contact ours to get your company on the list.

Good luck!

HAL

I can't say enough good things about Kauai. I stayed in a cabin in waimea canyon, incredible views every morning. I ended up hiking most of the Napali coast trail without a permit, a local told me they only check for permits on the weekend! I also did many of the hunter trails up bye Kokee, fantasic views!! Oh, the hike down into Waimea canyon was pretty amazing too. I went to tunnels and kee beaches a bunch of times, great snorkeling at tunnels! I ended up buying a ticket from HNL to LIH and back, nobody wanted to let me jumpseat, oh well at least the tickets were reasonable. I'm planning on going to Maui sometime in Sept. this year. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. ~JEB~

asipilot

Just curious... Did the jumpseat with Kalitta work out OK?

The jumpseat on Kalitta was great! First class treatment all the way around. Had a great time BS'in with the crew, looks like a rewarding job over there, but a tough schedule though!! ~JEB~

asipilot said:
I'm planning on going to Maui sometime in Sept. this year. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. ~JEB~
I live on Maui, if you come early enough in September you'll be here before I move.

Let me know if you want to go check out the Molokai sea cliffs in a 172.

Latest resources

Back