PM Time Limit ?

bafanguy

Total Time
Don't notice any reference to this anywhere but I've had several cases where after writing a PM and clicking to send it, I discover I've been logged off. When I log back on, the message I've written is lost...kind of annoying.

Is there a way to avoid this or am I just doing something wrong/taking too long to compose my masterpiece ?

TonyC

Frederick's Happy Face
Total Time
>8,000
bafanguy said:
Don't notice any reference to this anywhere but I've had several cases where after writing a PM and clicking to send it, I discover I've been logged off. When I log back on, the message I've written is lost...kind of annoying.

Is there a way to avoid this or am I just doing something wrong/taking too long to compose my masterpiece ?
I believe the culprit is a tiny little box next to your Aviator name, User name, whatever they call it here when you Sign In. The Remember Me box must be checked, or you'll be automatically signed out after a certain period of time of idle activity. Unfortunately, time spent typing in a message box, on a forum or in a PM, appears as idle time. I believe I read Mark the Administrator referring to a time of 20 minutes. That may be the time, or I may have taken that number out of its proper context.

Until you determine the problem, you might want to try this trick I've used many times. If you're not certain that you won't meet the "You're not authorized, you must sign in" screen, simply paste what you have to the clipboard. Then, if you have to sign back in, all you have to do is copy your work back into a fresh message box.

To select all, Press CTRL and A at the same time

To copy it to the clipboard, Press CTRL and C at the same time.

Once you're signed back on, Pres CTRL and V at the same time.

Hope that helps....

:)

Now you can explain bafan. ;)

bafanguy

Total Time
TonyC,

Thanks for the information...I'll try it next time. I most likely did take more than 20 minutes to write the PMs in question.

....and, no, I can't.

TonyC

Frederick's Happy Face
Total Time
>8,000
Falcon Capt said:
Some negotiator you are! You're supposed to have him explain it BEFORE you give him the info he is looking for!!! ;)
A good negotiator also realizes that unrealistic demands only lead to disappointment. I never expected him to cough it up. :)

So what's the deal? Can't the Remember Me? option be defaulted to Yes, or is that a problem with vBulletin 3.5?