Please do not forget the victims of Katrina

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SRJ

Please do not forget to give to the victims of Katrina. With all of the mud slinging going on in the industry, our problems are insignificant compared to the issues being faced on the Gulf Coast. To all the pilots and flight crews affected by Hurricane Katrina, we wish you the best in your time of need. To others, please do not forget to visit the Red Cross website and donate what you can. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all in Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama.

http://www.redcross.org/

1-800-HELP-NOW

Last edited:
I have a quick question.....someone in my family brought this up yesterday. Are there other countries that are helping us out?

Just heard that Sri Lanka, Singapore, Italy (hip-hip: hooray!), and our bestest friends ever, the Deutsch AND the French, have offered their help. I second the motion for donating to the Salvation Army: we were refugees for a while after Hurricane Camille and the Red Cross was selling donuts; the Salvation Army was giving them away. Left a lasting impression on us kids, don’t you know.

I just picked up a two day trip at premium pay. All the $ from that trip I have donated. Others should look at that option. Turn your time into $$$$

I saw a list of too many countries to list today that have offered relief help to us, at least high twenties, to thirties. It's good to know that many around the world, that have been helped by us are willing to return the favor!

A challenge for pilots- One Day's Pay

kc81900 said:
I just picked up a two day trip at premium pay. All the $ from that trip I have donated. Others should look at that option. Turn your time into $$$$

KC,

That's a great gesture. I live about 15 miles from the "X" where the first 3 hit Florida last year and all three combined pale in comparison to what those folks are going through now.

Here's a challenge for all of you. Just donate one day's pay and then ask all your co-workers and friends to do the same. It's not much sacrifice in the grand scheme of things, but it would add up to a sizeable amount.

What are you waiting for? It took me 3 minutes to give the Red Cross a credit card number last night. Just pick your charity and cough it up.

Catfish

CFC makes it too easy to give for those still on active duty.

Also if you take stuff to the Goodwill, they will ensure that it goes to the hurricane victims, vice general distribution; just be sure to tell them when you drop it off. It takes about 15 min to rumage the closets and come up with a trunk full of clothes, shoes, blankets and towels.

September 03, 2005 11:44:00 AM ETAmerican Airlines Flying Katrina Relief Missions Over Labor Day WeekendadvertisementRelated information E-mail this article Print-friendly versionStocks mentioned in this articleAMR Corporation(AMR) Quote, Chart, News

All PRNewswire NewsAll-Volunteer Crews Operate Flights to New Orleans

Related newsDow Closes Down 12 Amid Hurricane Woes
FORT WORTH, Texas, Sept. 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Airlines dispatched three aircraft to New Orleans Saturday -- all of them manned by volunteer crews -- to pick up flood victims and fly them to Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas.

American will fly similar missions Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Each MD80 aircraft will make two trips each day for a total of 24 trips. More than 3,000 flood victims are expected to be flown out of the stricken city as a result of American's four-day operation.

Captain Al Madar, who oversees American's daily flight operations and is coordinating all of American's flying with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), said everyone who works the flight is a volunteer.

"From the mechanic to the ramp worker to the pilots and flight attendants --- they are all volunteers," Madar said. "We've got a long list of American employees wanting to help in the effort."

American's airport manager in New Orleans, Tina Moman -- who was airlifted out of New Orleans on Tuesday when American flew the first rescue mission into the Louie Armstrong International Airport -- was on the first flight Saturday to oversee the ground operation there.

Current AMR Corp. AMR news releases can be accessed via the Internet. The address is http://www.amrcorp.com

©

Well, there go those "AArogant" American Airlines people again...

Latest resources

Back