Places to live CVG?

superfreight208

Total Time
Where are good places to live in CVG, for a first year f/o (Comair)?? Not a crash pad, bringing wife down??

jarhead

master of my domain
Total Time
low
superfreight208 said:
Where are good places to live in CVG, for a first year f/o (Comair)?? Not a crash pad, bringing wife down??
Hebron, Kentucky. Close to the airport via interstate, and you won't get caught up in the severe traffic crossing the bridge over the Ohio river getting to and from the airport in peak traffic hours. There are affordable apartments there, or if your wife has a job, and if you are in the market, there is some affordable housing to purchase or rent.

WateryGrave

Blue Koolaid Drinker
Total Time
12K+
superfreight208 said:

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT live anywhere near that airport. If anyone tells you that living in Hebron, Florence, Burlington, Independence, or some other s***hole by the airport is close and affordable then just remember. You get what you pay for. I would suggest that you look all around Cincinnati, especially on the North side of the river to see what all your options are. The drive from the otherside of the river is not that bad, and you will be doing it a lot less than you think(mostly because they will be sending you out for six days at a time). Good luck with the search.

Wacopilot

Total Time
5000+
WateryGrave said:
DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT live anywhere near that airport. If anyone tells you that living in Hebron, Florence, Burlington, Independence, or some other s***hole by the airport is close and affordable then just remember. You get what you pay for. I would suggest that you look all around Cincinnati, especially on the North side of the river to see what all your options are. The drive from the otherside of the river is not that bad, and you will be doing it a lot less than you think(mostly because they will be sending you out for six days at a time). Good luck with the search.

That may not be quite accurate......are you in class now?? If so, PM me and I will set you up with some nice and affordable places.

Waco

N813CA

Yeah buddy
Total Time
What the heck are you talking about. I live in Hebron KY and have a 2 story home that was built 2 years ago next to a farmers field. Great place to live and a great house. No low income stuff. What are you smoking? There is a lot of Comair pilots that have a house in Hebron. It is 5 minutes away from the parking lot, no traffic guaranteed.

ACE

Total Time
enough
N813CA said:
What the heck are you talking about. I live in Hebron KY and have a 2 story home that was built 2 years ago next to a farmers field. Great place to live and a great house. No low income stuff. What are you smoking? There is a lot of Comair pilots that have a house in Hebron. It is 5 minutes away from the parking lot, no traffic guaranteed.

Yeah, but those tractors are sure hard to get around on the road.

Bluto

Total Time
>4000
I had a house in Florence, KY and loved it. Like any other city, you may have to shop around to find a neighborhood that suits you, but I came from Southern California and thoroughly enjoyed Florence. Never saw a place I'd want to live on the Ohio side, but I'm sure there are some nice places up there, too.

When we were looking we found a lot of reasonable houses at:
http://www.northernkentuckyhomes.com/

p.s. Florence is a family-oriented place, I never saw much there in the way of night-life or anything like that.

Birddog

On a mission...
Total Time
The Kentucky side of the river is not all bad. Home prices are a little lower in most neighborhoods and the taxes are substantially lower. I like Alexandria. Cold Spring is nice too. A few guys swear that Indiana is the best deal though. It will come down to what your priorities are. We wanted a little larger lot and to be further from town, without being too far from the airport. As far as the "no traffic" guarantee that another person gave you, don't bet on it. One good accident here will shut down the interstate for hours. I prefer to have the option of not needing it to get to work.

DGdaPilot

Parrot Head Pilot
Total Time
5:00
Yeah, I'm in Florence right now and it's got everything I want (close to the airport, grocery store, mall, etc) excpet for a big night life. Damn cheap too.

Homer Jay

Total Time
It always blows me away how people on the Kentucky side believe the traffic is bad coming through the city from Ohio to the airport. It takes me 20 minutes...25 TOPS from front door to the employee lot. Not only that, Nothern Kentucky has NO character! They are all cookie cutter homes in Anytown, USA. I live in a great neighborhood in Ohio with a lot of restaurants, bars, galleries, and boutiques that I can walk to. It has a lot of character that is lacking in NKY. BUT, to each his own. Some people really don't like to be able to walk to places or live outside of a planned community/subdivision. Whether you are married or single, I would DEFINITELY recommend the Hyde Park area. Lots to do and lots of great people watching! Good luck with whatever you choose!

Last edited:

FurloughedAgain

Cabin Heating & Air Tech.
Total Time
10000+
www.maplestreethomes.com

Orleans North subdivision.

Half way between Florence and Union on 42. I was able to afford a new home as a first year F/O -- in fact there were a lot of F/Os in that neighborhood.

Great family oriented place. Lots of kids, sidewalks, playgrounds, ponds... you name it. Resale value was phenominal. Bought the house in 02, sold it in 04 for about $15,000 more than I bought it for.

Highly recommend it!

skyslug

Oops!
Total Time
>8000
Fort Mitchell and Fort Thomas (N kentucky) are both very nice places. Old, established homes, great schools. Kentucky is very affordable (compared to SoCal)! I'd suggest either an older home or a new, custom built one to your specs if you can. Have fun looking!

cmrflyer

Total Time
Try Ft.thomas, by far the best place in nourthern KY. PM me, if you are looking to rent. I just got based back in MCO, thank god, but of all the dumps in KYand OH , Ft Thomas is your best bet.