Pilotless commercial air travel

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tlax25

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...=1&u=/ap/20040226/ap_on_hi_te/asian_aerospace

I sincerely hope this never happens. I may only be a passenger on commercial flights (I fly for fun, not for a living), I would feel much, much safer with a human up front that has ultimate control of the plane. No pilots? I'd never fly a plane without a human at the controls in the front.

Do any of you folks flying the line think this will ever be put into practice in our lifetimes?

No.

The reason that the AF has UAV's (besides some cost issues) is to do high-risk flying without endangering personnel. The AF is wanting to reduce risk and increase capabilities by making unmanned fighter planes.

Commercial aviation does not do the same high-risk type of flying as the military, hence no need for a pilotless aircraft. I don't see it ever happening as people are inherrintly afraid of flying and don't want to turn their lives over to a computer, even a very smart one.

Let George do it.

Yep, it's coming! Maybe not in my lifetime, but I wouldn't be surprised. Almost definitely in the coming lifetime of a new upstart pilot today.
Back in my day, it was incomprehensible that the sky would be so full of pilots flyin' around totally dependent on radar and gps to "tell them where to go", and other hi-tech gadgets which make today's flying way much more dependent on technical wizardry than on human ingenuity... it will come.

What will the Guat do?:D

tlax25 said:

Do any of you folks flying the line think this will ever be put into practice in our lifetimes?
God I hope not.

UAV's still have someone on the ground with a stick and a rudder.....

PS I have a better idea. How about a managementless corporation!

tlax25 Pilotless

tlax25,

Pilots only spend about 2% of a flight at the controls now. Everything else is auto and fly by wire inputs. Passengers are not aware of cockpit management. Stewardess access to cockpit is also restricted after 9-11. The Japanese have a bullet train that carries ten times the number of passenger than an airliner at 500 mph with almost zero turn around time.

Last edited:
Re: tlax25 Pilotless

ThomasR said:
tlax25,

Pilots only spend about 2% of a flight at the controls now. Everything else is auto and fly by wire inputs. Passengers are not aware of cockpit management. Stewardess access to cockpit is also restricted after 9-11. The Japanese have a bullet train that carries ten times the number of passenger than an airliner at 500 mph with almost zero turn around time.

not to mention the maglevs!:cool:

Latest resources

Back