PHL Operations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sckfck

Has anyone else noticed the improved quickness at the F gates? I know, I know, its Philly, but think seriously all bias aside.....................Honestly, How long have you watied for a marshal lately???

Its the new Wal-Mart greeters...finally getting some folks in there that don't mind working and/or can motivate others to do the same.

Last trip into PHL I had rampers run to get wands so we didn't have to stop - TWICE. For a second I thought we were in PIT...

I second the runners BoilerUp. Seems like they have been moving lately. Maybe if we (pilots) actually use words like "thank-you", or "hey, whats new" they could appreciate it. Just a thought.

Yup I have noticed! Now if we could get LGA to move like the Philly guys we'd be in great shape.

I am curious to see how these motivated folks hold up during the summer heat.

I had one ask me the other day to flip on the external power. He needed to test the GPU to make sure it would work for the next airplane that was in-range without an APU! I wanted to hug the guy.

I had three quick turns in PHL last week. Every one was on time and we NEVER stopped and waited on rampers for a gate.... maybe things are turning around!

Once we left the gate....thats a whole other story!

----- Original Message ----- From:
To:
Cc:
Sent: April 06, 2007 11:49 AM
Subject: CS issue at PHL

This is in reference to flight ...., PHL-... on April 5, 2007. Scheduled departure ..40 local.

The inbound aircraft arrived at the gate at approximately ..00 local time. The inbound crew advised us that there were feces spattered in the lavatory and that they had requested a lavatory service, interior and exterior. I inspected the lav and determined we could not depart with it in that condition. Initially, we elected to hold off boarding until the issue was resolved. We repeated the request for lavatory service to operations via radio at approximately ..10, stating that we would be unable to depart until the interior of the lav was cleaned.

At approximately ..20, with no activity and after additional calls to op's, we elected to board the aircraft, but reiterated that we were unable to depart with the lav in that condition. I then went outside the aircraft to attempt to locate ground service personnel. I located a lav service truck, but it was vacant. I spoke to a supervisor who was assisting with baggage loading. He appeared concerned and made a radio call. I then went inside the terminal in an attempt to locate cleaning supplies in order to take care of the lav myself, but was unsuccessful in locating the necessary supplies. The gate agent was very helpful in this regard, but nobody else to whom we spoke registered any level of concern.

I returned to the aircraft at approximately ..30, in time to see the previously mentioned lav service truck drive away. I again called op's to have the lav service truck return and complete the job, but was advised he had gone to a distant gate and was busy.

At approximately ..35 I contacted SOC and advised them of what was happening (or actually what was NOT happening) and that we were unable to depart until the lav was cleaned. I asked the dispatcher to call the station to either get someone out to take care of the lav or to bring me some supplies so I could do it myself. At approximately ..45 I made an announcement to the passengers that we were awaiting necessary ground service and were unable to depart.

At approximately ..50 I headed up the jetway to look for someone wearing a tie. About halfway up I met a very annoyed looking ramp worker coming down with a can of spray cleaner in his hand. He went to the lav and returned about two minutes later saying it was done. We commenced the pushback at ..00. We reported the off time as ..00 and stated the delay was due to lav service.

Upon arrival in ..., the flight attendant reported that the lav had not been cleaned. Inspection revealed that spray cleaner had been applied to some surfaces in the lavatory, but no attempt whatsoever was made to remove the feces from those surfaces.

Furthermore, I called SOC and asked how the delay was coded. I was told it was coded to ATC and downline delay. A bald faced lie, since the aircraft arrived at the gate in PHL 40 minutes prior to scheduled departure and we made the decision to delay boarding 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure

As you can probably tell frome the above dissertation, I am incensed at the events described. This is an inexcuseable and deliberate failure on the part of the PHL station to properly execute their responsibilities; the result of which was a 20 minute delay (the reason for which they lied about in an attempt to cover it up) and the presentation to our customers of an airplane spattered with human feces.

This is not the image we wish to present.

Sincerely,

Don't push unless it's done. You don't know it's done unless you go see it done.

PHL = A work free thug zone.

it will last for about a month or so then degenerate back to the norm - then when it hits rock bottom they will get new managers and it will be better for a few months then back to the norm.

Latest resources

Back