Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

80for80

global synchronizer
What are your thoughts on making a personal statement at the beginning of a regional interview like this guy wants to make? He said he's inteviewed at many regional airlines but has not been successful to date. He's hoping this personal statement will get him hired at Commutair.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal Statement:
Good Morning,
My name is Mark Young and I am twenty-four years old. I grew up in Los Angeles, CA.
For as long as I can remember, I have always been fascinated by flying and intrigued by the vastness of the sky and surrounding celestial bodies. I was four when I first flew. It was on a commercial flight on EL AL, from LAX-JFK with a final destination of Tel-Aviv, Israel.
I remember the excitement and the thrill I felt when my family arrived at LAX airport. At the airport I did not think much of the very long lines of passengers waiting to check in their luggage. My interest piqued somewhat when we had to walk through the magnetometers. I pressed my face to the glass, straining to take it all in. I remember the awe I felt looking at the giant aircraft, and the respect I felt towards the uniformed crew members.
During this flight somewhere over the North Atlantic Ocean I told my folks I wanted to fly these big birds when I grew up. Here I am twenty years later standing and say this to you!
Under the section of Professional Work on my resume: This is where I began my flight training and continue to give back to the community. Since its foundation in 1951, Kitty Hawk Squadron 3 has trained hundreds of young men and women to fly. If you are between the ages of 14 and 21, you are eligible to participate in this exciting program. Ground and Flight Instruction are provided at no charge by our volunteer Certified Flight Instructors. Flight Training is performed in a Cessna 172 provided by the North Hollywood Optimist Club, the primary sponsor of Squadron 3 since 1951. www.squadron3.com

Why CommutAir:
From a geographer’s standpoint, your website encapsulates my very thoughts perfectly: “Based in the beautiful Lake Champlain Valley between New York's Northern Adirondacks and Vermont's Green Mountains, CommutAir provides scheduled air transportation to 24 cities in 8 States”.
Geospatially speaking, the location of your company and routes are both very picturesque and different from Los Angeles, CA!
Furthermore, you fly B1900D’s, a turbo-prop which would make for a nice transition into a Part 121 carrier from General Aviation. It would be a great learning experience and stepping stone.
CommutAir has stability within the company and job security. As far as I know, you are not seeking to take over the regional market. In addition, your company will be receiving Q200’s-Dash 8’s in early 2007. My understanding is that it will be replacing the B1900s and based at CLE. Christopher Gobeille gave me a run down on the interview and company with nothing derogatory.
On a final note, I want to work for a company that sends an applicant positive space travel pass, and picks up hotel room and tax, demonstrating care of its employees.
How do you rate yourself as a pilot and why? What could you do better?
Questions for Company Interviewers:
1. How did you get where you are?
2. How do you like it here at _____ airlines?
3. Where do you see the industry going?
4. Do you have faith in management?

Lesson Plan: Fundamentals of CRM
What is CRM? The effective use of all available resources needed to complete a safe and efficient flight. All in-flight crew, ATC, EFAS, Passengers to enable a smooth and safe execution for flight!

Why is it important? To optimize performance and reduce pilot error. As a result of the benefits of CRM, ICAO mandates CRM training for all air carriers. The result is CRM/LOFT training.
Goals of CRM
• KNOWLEDGE of concepts and procedures
• ATTITUDE which recognizes the importance of good aircrew coordination to safety.
• SKILLS to effect implementation of knowledge
Typical errors:
• Loss of situational awareness
• Violation of FAR
• Departure from proven procedures
• Poor judgment or decision making
• Preoccupation with minor mechanical problems
• Inadequate leadership - Failing to:
Delegate tasks
Assign meaningful responsibilities
Set priorities
Lack of monitoring
Failure to use available information
Failure to communicate plans, problems, etc.
Risk Evaluation Model:
• AIRCRAFT: Appropriately equipped? Capable? Airworthy?
• ENVIRONMENT: Weather? Terrain? Obstacles? Hazards?
• SITUATION: Changes? Alternatives? Evaluate effects?
• OPERATIONS: Have I done this before? What difficulties are involved? what if it doesn't go as planned?
• PERSONNEL: Qualifications? Currency? Fatigue? Illness? Stresses?
Human Performance suffers when:
• Fatigue
• Stress
• Physiological degradation
• Overload
• Distractions
Performance falls below standards when:
• Excessively high workload
• Inadequate training
• Unrealistic performance goals
Eliminating Pilot error starts with:
• Attitude - hazardous attitudes, I'M SAFE
• Skills - On-going Training
• Knowledge - Policy, regulations, SOP
• Risk management
• Appropriate mission planning & brief
• Recognize the difference between unsafe & unwise
• Saying "uncle" i.e. Go-around, reject, abort.
Loss of situational awareness occurs when:
• Failure to meet targets
• Use of undocumented procedures
• Violating minimums & limitations
• No one flying the aircraft
• No one looking out the window (human TCAS)
• No checklists
• Incomplete communication
• Ambiguity
• Unresolved discrepancies
• Fixation or preoccupation
Most common errors:
54% Intentional non-compliance with Policies & Regulations
29% Procedural
8% Communication
6% Operational Decision
5% Proficiency

Don't do it. Comes off desperate. They will ask you what they want to know.

Perhaps this picture can sum up my thoughts:

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2346/exubww6.png

Seriously, he's way overdoing it. The advertising paragraph for squadron3.com could be completely eliminated, especially if that's pushing his resume past one page.

"Geospatially"? Eek.

And I have no idea what to make of a lesson plan on CRM. I certainly wouldn't bring it to our interview. Just bring yourself and your knowledge.

" 4. Do you have faith in management?"

If they're interviewing you, they've been there long enough to either be management, or smart enough to lie and say "yes" when conducting an interview in the presence of management. This management team nearly drowned the airline when every other one was raking in the cash. A lot of us lost faith when they furloughed half of us in August of 2001. Skip that one. Seriously.

It's a fun place to work overall, but don't delude yourself about what you're getting into. Best of luck on the interview, but definitely kick it down a notch. Let the interviewer lead the interview. Much like a checkride, you may dig yourself a hole on a topic that never would have been brought up.

Last edited:
What the hell is this?
Hey, if you're an author of this gem, feel free to PM me and I'll remove it as quickly as I can.

......He said he's inteviewed at many regional airlines but has not been successful to date..............

And apparently he's concluded that his problem is a failure to present himself as sufficiently maniacal?

Latest resources

Back