• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

pc ifr training software

widebody

Total Time
Anybody have any experience/recommendations for pc training software. It looks like asa, elite, and microsoft have some good stuff.

alimaui

Total Time
150+
PC Training

Widebody,

For my own personal instrument training I got MSFS2K2. It was a great supplement to my training in the airplane. Although a computer game cannot come close to simulating flight, I found this program helps great with the theories associated with instrument flying. I was able to download the airplane I flew IRL, so the cockpits were identical. It is very convenient because I can put myself at any airport I want. I can use any navaids I want. My brother finds it amusing that even though I have hundreds of airplanes at my disposal to fly, the only one I have ever flown is the Warrior.

The program is great b/c you can practice the approaches you will actually be flying in the airplane before you fly them. Let me tell you that Tracking and Intercepting and Holding is excellent to practice with this.

Ali

widebody

Total Time
Thanks to all of you for the input! Alimaui, what kid of joystick did you get? That force feedback sounds pretty nice but kind of expensive.

alimaui

Total Time
150+
Widebody,

I can say from personal experience that the force feedback is awesome. The Precision Pro 2 (I think) also provides an adequade amount of control. Sadly I do not own either. I am actually going to be getting one soon. But lately all my extra cash is going towards flying, lol. I decided on the precision pro2 model b/c I dont think the extra fifty bucks is worth it.

Right now I am just using a regular joystick, no name. It works fine. If all you are doing is practicing theories the keyboard works just fine too. If you want to play MSFS as a game that is where a bigger better joystick would be needed. But I also have the fun of rudder pedals. :D If you are concerned with realism and if you are going to be spending the money for the ff, (and you mainly plan on using it for FS) you might consider the yoke instead. When I buy my joystick I will be using it for other things so the yoke was never a seriously considered option, but if you want it for training, I suggest CH products.

Ali
PS. If you want to talk in real time, IM me on AIM