Passenger(s) From Hades

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lostdog65

Don't know if this has been done but I've got a tale to tell and I'm sure some of you do too!

Last week, called the office, told them, "not available Thurs - Sun". Wife's out of town, no one to watch kids, etc. Not 30 minutes later get a call, "Can you take a quick charter to ACV? Only 2 hours stand by? Really nice people. You'll fly his 340. Nice plane. Etc." Since my wife wasn't supposed to leave until noon Thurs I said okay.

Rich guy, rich wife. She is on him like white on rice from the moment she gets out of the 2004 3-Series Beemer. Forecast is for VFR but some winds on the coast. Smooth ride up and across from RDD to ACV but, as I expected, a few bumps on the way down. We were crossing the ridges at 90 degrees with the winds out of the southeast at 20 gusting to 30. I'm making a nice, gradual descent; planned it so I'd come out south of the airport a little high and lose altitude for a right downwind to Rwy 14. (Normal traffic is to 32, ie: the ILS goes in on 32 but winds were 150 at 20G28.)

Owner in the right seat, also a pilot but not current, notices the shallow descent and says, "Pick it up but don't let Betty know." Curious thing to say but I push it over to 1000 fpm descent and throttle back. We hit what I'd call moderate chop and I start to shallow out and slow down as I hear this blood-curdling scream from the back seat..."SLOW DOWN!!!" "OH GOD!! SLOW DOWN!!"

I have the Bose X headseats. I heard her voice through my mic into the intercom system. I thought, "WTF? She's been riding in planes for years and she can't handle a little chop?"

So we roll out over the airport (212 MSL) at about 4000 MSL. I cross over, do a left 270 to join the downwind when I hear, "HOW COME WE'RE LANDING THIS WAY!!????" "DON'T WE NORMALLY LAND ON 32??"

Husband explains the winds as I set it down in nice crosswind landing. Taxi in and they depart.

Return trip, smooth on climb out, smooth up top, a bit bumpy on the way down. What I'd call light chop/light turb. She's screaming "OH GOD", "OH SH!T" again and I'm trying not to laugh. Husband curls up in a ball in the front seat; whipped position. This is a guy who owns and runs the Bud distributorship here in town. Smart guy. Nice guy. Beatch of a wife.

Get back to the FBO and find out that everyone who has every flown with her knew about the screaming and yelling. Apparently one guy nearly sh!te his pants when he flew them. Big laugh on me. Apparently, since I have been in this town for 16 years, everyone thought I'd flown them before. Nope....never had...and never will again. Don't need to be screamed at from the back seat by a non pilot who has about a thousand hours of time in a plane.

Someone said she just wanted to let me know who was in charge. Yeah...like I am in charge of the wind!

My rant.

Next.

Eric

Nope...just a white knuckler I guess...but she contradicted and ragged on her hubby to no end. Must like things her way or no way.

Eric

EDUC8-or said:
If my wife pulled that crap she'd some home and find her stuff in the bushes. She sounds like an idiot, but he's just as bad for marrying her.

lets hope your wife doesnt see that

Back when I flew pax, I had two female passengers that were ok but had their problems with flying.

One would sit in the middle seats of the Aztec and tear up paper. I guess that was better than her using a knife to cut herself.

The other couldn't handle visual stimulation and would go insane during takeoff and landings.

I found that in both cases, or any case where you had a nervous passenger, that the best thing to do was remain calm, try to get them interested in what was happening on the flight and if I didn't mention it before, remain calm.

You'll only freak them out if you are not professional and not appearing to be in command. And as passenger carrying 135 or 121 pilots, we have to always remember that passenger safety and comfort is what will make our jobs secure.

Was this last Friday in the AM? I think I might have seen you guys come in. I fly the Bro' into ACV several times a week. BTW-Do you know who owns that PC-12 there in ACV?

FlySacto

The owner's wife of a Lear 35 I used to fly was so paranoid about the oxygen after the Payne Stewart crash, she insisted that she preflight the O2 before I flew her. Funny thing is on mulitple occasions she actually turned the O2 off thinking she was turning it on. Ironically, we actually did loose pressurisation in that airplane one day...luckily she wasn't on board or she would have had a heart attack.

Flysacto...yeah...that was me in the 340 only it was Thurs AM. I don't recall who owns the PC12 but will try to find out. I think the CP at Redding Aero knows.

Eric

Latest resources

Back