Nylon or Leather for Flight Case?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

js31pilot

If money was not an option,which is a better quality?

In other words which will last longer and/or are the "norm" for crews?

Thanks for your help...

I use a nylon on, it is complete junk and is falling apart, but I like it because it was free, and those are the best kind.

I have one of the Jeppesen leather bags. Looks as if it's built like a tank. Could come in handy in the cockpit someday, but for now it's serving duty as a repository for about 45 pounds of stuff like AR-15 magazines, a battle pack of Hirtenberger 7.62 MM, a battle pack of South African 5.56 MM, an AR-15 A2 upper reciever, a gaggle of boxes of Israeli made Magtech .40 Caliber, an AR-15 lower reciever parts kit and an AR-15 collapsable stock. Had to put all that crap somewhere, we are out growing our apartment.

But anyway, those leather bags are made to take a lifetime of abuse. Plus, you get the security of keeping the honest people honest, by having some combination locks on the latches.

I currently use a nylon "TECH" bag, that I picked up at Office Max for about 35.00 bucks. It takes four jep binders, an ops manual, comat, flashlight, headset, calculator, pens, passport, pilot certs and medical, in stride. It fits nice in between the two pilot seats and it's size limits me from adding a bunch of useless junk, which would eventually make the bag grow in weight. I have been using this tech bag for over 5 years of full time flying and it IS my office. I would buy another, if I could get the thing to wear out.

You don't get a shoulder strap with the leather Jep type bags, so if you aren't using roll on luggage, you get stuck with carrying the jep bag by the handle.

I know some guys that have enough jepps to fill one of those leather jepp bags, so a tech bag isn't going to work for them.

I say this...if you're buying the bag for coolness factor and you have the money...go for it. If you can find one used, at a good price and in good condition...go for it. If you are looking for something that will hold the gear and make it a comfortable walk from the plane to parking lot (in the event that your job doesn't require a roll on overnight bag...which you could piggy back your jepp chart bag onto), then I say get a good quality tech bag at office max.

Jepp bags will be around for a long time, and if you don't really need one right now and can't find one for a steal...a nylon alternative will work. Plus you can always use the tech bag for something else up the road, when you really have a need to get a jepp bag.

js31pilot said:

In other words which will last longer and/or are the "norm" for crews?

Thanks for your help...
This is a bag that doesn't come with the money option. :)

(Did you mean, money is no factor?)

I've got one of these bags, Ultima Lightweight Cordura Nylon Flight Case. IF mine ever wears out, and that appears doubtful before retirement, I'll replace it with the newer version that has wheels and a telescoping handle Ballistic Nylon Flight Case on Wheels.

This thing has been around the world, checked through dozens of airlines domestic and international, and it's still in as good shape as when it was new. Granted, there are scuffs and marks here and there, but not a single sign of breakdown. Usually, the only reason I check it in the first place is that it's so roomy, and therefore heavy, that I don't care to lug it around unless it's hooked on my Purdy Neat Stuff Stealth bag. If mine had wheels, I suspect it would always be my carryon, and it would have very few scuffs or scratches.

Easily handles 4 Jepp binders, pencils, pens, glasses, passport, headset, and more on the inside. Roomy pockets on both ends, and a nice pair of pockets on the sides. The lid pockets are on velcro, so adjustable. Two 2-digit combination locks on the top. (Don't lock 'em when it's checked, TSA has been known to cut these off.) I can't imagine a better bag.

The ONLY drawback that I know of is that the rough texture is not receptive to decals and stickers - - it'll have to remain plain black.

Thanks for the input........I got a nylon (Crew Gear Cordura) one for Christmas and was wondering if the upgrade to Leather was worth it for the long haul (30 more years).

js31pilot said:

After I made Captain, I bought the leather bag from Scotty's.

It's built like a brick out house. It's the second flight case I've owned as an airline pilot and I won't have to buy another.

I believe it comes with a life time warranty but it's been so long since I bought it, I can't remember.

I have one of the Jeppesen leather bags. Looks as if it's built like a tank. Could come in handy in the cockpit someday, but for now it's serving duty as a repository for about 45 pounds of stuff like AR-15 magazines, a battle pack of Hirtenberger 7.62 MM, a battle pack of South African 5.56 MM, an AR-15 A2 upper reciever, a gaggle of boxes of Israeli made Magtech .40 Caliber, an AR-15 lower reciever parts kit and an AR-15 collapsable stock.

FN FAL....WHEW!!! Man, you better not get in a hurry and grab the wrong bag on the way to work! The TSA would probably call Delta Force on you !!!

I use a Samsonite nylon case that is 6 years old. It works great but is beginning to look pretty crummy. Nothing a little duct tape can't fix though.

Latest resources

Back