• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Humty72

NWA to cut 130 Twin Cities jobs; 800 more could go by end of 2005

Pioneer Press

More job cuts are on the way for Northwest Airlines workers.
The airline said today it will cut 130 Twin Cities maintenance jobs by May and perhaps as many as 800 more by the end of the year as it removes two dozen DC-9 jets from its active fleet in the latest attempt to reduce steep financial losses.
Major airlines continue to lose billions of dollars as fuel prices remain at historic highs. Earlier this year, Delta Air Lines capped many of its fares, a move that Northwest said at the time would reduce revenue. Northwest is seeking pay cuts from its union workers.
Northwest said it's cutting the jobs as it shuts down a heavy maintenance line operation in the Twin Cities. The airline said the decision to ground the DC-9 planes also will result in the closing of two maintenance lines operated by a vendor in Texas.

The company went from a party line of "everyone will be recalled by the end of the year" to "no future recalls through 2005", leaving 500 on furlough. This happened over a period of about three weeks.

Jim, I think I'm out of aviation for good now.

But this is great news for Pinnacle and Mesaba. frickin unbelievable. Park paid for DC-9's, lease RJ's for more debt, piss off passengers with the uncomfortable ride and crappy service from the RJ's, and then blame mainline labor for everything.
No wonder NWA lost 100 million last year on our regional operation.

nwaredtail said:
Park paid for DC-9's

That are gas-guzzlers...

While I don't like seeing planes parked because of the effects on recalls, all airlines (including NWA) are getting squeezed on fuel costs. Parking paid-for planes and transferring that flying to regional partners OR continue flying fuel-inefficient airplanes? Which is the lesser of two evils? I don't know.

Best of luck to all at NWA.

HMM

nwaredtail said:
No wonder NWA lost 100 million last year on our regional operation.

Where do you get that number from? Airlink is a cash cow for NWA. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be flying tomorrow. Do some research and you will find the Airlink operations MAKE money for NWA, like this from a month ago: "Operating revenue was up 6.4 percent to $2.75 billion for the quarter, with a boost coming from regional carriers, including Mesaba Airlines Inc. and Pinnacle Airlines Inc., and Northwest's cargo operations."

I understand NWA guys are mad. I have several friends there. But don't blame XJ and 9E guys for the fact that your managment wants to park the Dino-9's. They made money for a long time but that time is coming to an end, unfortunately.

If you want someone to blame, then blame your management, or better yet blame the greedy dicks from OPEC that are causing this spike in fuel.

Last edited:
I have to agree with "T" on that one. With family and friends who fly for NW (several who fly the 9), I feel for them in what this news might bring. However, the Airlinks are making plenty of money for mainline. If not, they would be taking the way of the DC-9.

We're all pulling for the success of NWA. Our livelyhoods depend your success also.

Bad Juju we don't need to lose those airplanes.

My girlfriend's friends boyfriend (actually a good source middle Mgmt at NWA) said that NWA Mgmt has been trying to get 70 - 90 seaters on-line but at a different company. Then have a JET for JOBs for furloughed pilots in return for the relaxation of scope. The Union wouldn't budge in anyway and Mgmt realized that if mainline was flying 70 to 90 seaters it would just be cheaper to give 9E or Xj a whole bunch of 44 seaters. So NWA Mgmt said FAHQ to NWA MEC and Hence the big announcement at XJ which he says is for 67 44 seaters. That should just about replace 2 dozen DC-9s and then some.

We don't need anymore high CASMs planes it will hurt our future and when SWA and Jet blue come into our home they will trounce us.

Jimdandy said:
Bad Juju we don't need to lose those airplanes.

My girlfriend's friends boyfriend (actually a good source middle Mgmt at NWA) said that NWA Mgmt has been trying to get 70 - 90 seaters on-line but at a different company. Then have a JET for JOBs for furloughed pilots in return for the relaxation of scope. The Union wouldn't budge in anyway and Mgmt realized that if mainline was flying 70 to 90 seaters it would just be cheaper to give 9E or Xj a whole bunch of 44 seaters. So NWA Mgmt said FAHQ to NWA MEC and Hence the big announcement at XJ which he says is for 67 44 seaters. That should just about replace 2 dozen DC-9s and then some.

We don't need anymore high CASMs planes it will hurt our future and when SWA and Jet blue come into our home they will trounce us.

Yikes... like I said before, I'm all for growth at XJ but not at the expense of the NWA boys and girls. I have many friends there and this sucks donkey balls. Our growth should not come at the cost of their jobs. But I guess that is a sign of the times.

*shakes head in disgust*

Last edited:
I thought there was big expansion plans, especially for Indy. I suppose the DC-9 routes going to be replaced with RJs??

Latest resources

Back