Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Could Have Some Merit

Very interesting.

I knew a CFI who, in my opinion, should have never been allowed to exercise those privileges. Multiple checkride failures, termination from one flight school, etc. He was an absolutely horrible CFI and pilot. It was "just a matter of time" before he had an accident and/or incident.

Well, one day he and a student crashed a Cessna in the desert. Luckily, both survived. I have it on a good source that he had his CFI revoked. Not sure about his commercial privileges. Thank God!

This recommendation by the NTSB will be met with some resistance (probably from AOPA and the like), but in the case of the fellow above, it could prevent a possible disaster. A trend of checkride failures has to imply something.

Any thoughts?

GEUAviator said:
Very interesting.

Any thoughts?
Yea...I think they should be able to go back and yank the certificates of any instructors that signed those guys off for check rides and then go back one level further and yank the certificates of the instructors that signed them off as well. Should nip the problem right in the bud.

Basically the rule could read something like this...

Student gets a fail on a check ride, he gets additional training and then a re-ride. Student then fails the re-ride and then sits out for 30 days. Student gets retrained then fails the third ride...so then his CFI gets his tickets pulled, along with whoever signed him off for his rides, as well as the examiner that did the questionable rides for both CFI's.

I can live with that type of set up. It would definitely cull the herd down a bit, plus there would be an incentive to give good training.

I do agree that taking a checkride for a cert of rating multiple times is not the best senario. But there are other factors as well.

Who you are taking it from. Any checkpilot can fail anyone for anything on any given day. Some Checkpilots have an attitude like they are god...especially in the Embry-Riddle System.

Are you a good test taker. Do you get nervous, stressed, let problems snowball.

Environmental factors...for my CFI checkride the airport was using the common use runway, with a tailwind...try sticking a shortfield landing on a point with a tailwind...its harder than you think. I ended up getting them to let me turn around and use the opposite runway which I passed.

Wtf ?

FJP3 said:
Are you a good test taker. Do you get nervous, stressed, let problems snowball.

Errm, well seeing as we will be doing this stuff every 6 months or so for the rest of our flying, one had better get used to it and not let stuff snowball yah ???

Do you get nervous, stressed, let problems snowball.

I'd hope that a pilot better be able to excercise good judgement under such conditions, bucause those are exactly the conditions you will be finding yourself under in an emergency.

That could be a real slippery slope. Yes it will weed out the idiots, but what airline will hire somebody that failed a checkride 15 years ago for whatever reason when there are others out that did not have that one bad day. Or better yet the others were not even flying 15 years ago.

Mattpilot hit the nail right on the head. You'd better be able to deal with and overcome the nervousness associated with checkrides because if you ever have to deal with an engine failure over hostile terrain at night in a single (or even a twin) you'd better not panic and know what to do. If you are faced with this, nervousness from a checkride will seem like a complete blessing!!

About six months ago I took a very good looking girl from work up while I got some dual in a 172 under the hood. Up until about an hour before takeoff I was SO WORRIED that I would fly like mush because a lot was at stake. This was at least as nerve-wracking than any checkride too. As it turns out, I was as calm as could be the entire flight. 3 days before, this was inconcievable. Everything went perfectly except Providence App was very busy, as much as ORD or JFK and almost had to turn down our request for a VFR practice app! The lesson learned is things almost always are expected to be worse than they usually are.

Last edited:
Exactly the point...but Shiat happens on a daily basis...to not pass a checkride or rating on the 2nd try is just pathetic...there should be no excuse.

FJP3 said:
Exactly the point...but Shiat happens on a daily basis...to not pass a checkride or rating on the 2nd try is just pathetic...there should be no excuse.
You are correct...and the CFI's that signed these people off should put on a rail and run out of town, and so should the CFI's that signed them off.

To tell you the truth, CFI's should have to have a minimum of 2,500 hours and at least an associate degree of any kind. This industry is ass backwards.

The fact that low time pilots build time teaching other future pilots is a farce of the system and this should be rectified...it amounts to the blind leading the blind and that is why there is fail rates and people busting rides.

Latest resources

Back