• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

Non Aviation Related Chat--Cutting off your arm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainer8

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 24, 2001
Posts
596
Total Time
17000+
Moderators:

Non-Aviation Related Chat has been one of the most frequently visited and used forums on your site. In fact, it is....was....great to see such a pluralistic venue on the site.

I've been a member here since 2001 and have enjoyed this forum with all of its warts.

One of the great things about this sight was that not only are we aviators and airmen, FAs and mechanics...we also have interests outside of aviation that we all could relate to and chat about...soometimes passionately.

Huge loss on your part. But, maybe that is what you want....

Come on....bring it back.:rolleyes:

Trainer8
 

BoilerUP

Citation style...
Joined
Nov 11, 2003
Posts
5,311
Total Time
1500+
It seems since Mark's passing the mods have become much more involved, to the point of being hardline and hardcore. It also seems to be less Eagleflip, Falcon Capt and UAL and alot more of the new mods doing the policing.

While I don't understand the liability involved in operating a site like this, I do understand the desire for people who act like adults to be able to discuss and debate their views. It seems Flightinfo has a few new mods, so would it be difficult to add a few more (provided they were respected, contributing members of the board) even if only for monitoring the Non-Av forums?

I think permanent bannination is the only way to get the point across. I'd get rid of all flamebaiters after ONE warning. I also don't know how hard it is to ban multiple names from common IPs, but I think that would go along way to preventing the Rhoid/FreightNazi type crap that continually comes up.
 

Hugh Jorgan

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 25, 2001
Posts
2,307
Total Time
50
There's a new sheriff in town...

This is like hoping to get rid of garbage by removing the dumpster. It'll be all over the place now....just like before. Dimwits can't recall why the category was put there to begin with. But good for all of us that the Barney Fifes will be in every category wielding their little censorship swords.

I guess we know who the real voice of reason was around here. If my guess is right, the new sheriff will turn this site into a useless, personality-less piece of junk aviation site like the rest.

Duhhhh.....it's all the characters around here that keep this site interesting and worth visiting for those who HAVE the jobs already. It'll be useless when you lose those folks because you chose to sanitize it with your own little moral compass.


-morons.
 

Hugh Jorgan

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 25, 2001
Posts
2,307
Total Time
50
BoilerUP said:
I think permanent bannination is the only way to get the point across. I'd get rid of all flamebaiters after ONE warning. I also don't know how hard it is to ban multiple names from common IPs, but I think that would go along way to preventing the Rhoid/FreightNazi type crap that continually comes up.
Find the "ignore" function and use it if there is someone whose posts you just can't ignore on your own. Censorship.......love to see someone sworn to support and defend the constitution of the united states as an advocate of disregarding one of our cornerstone articles of that very document. Nice work, Hitler.
 

Flechas

........
Joined
Aug 2, 2003
Posts
1,964
Total Time
$$$$$$
Hugh Jorgan said:
This is like hoping to get rid of garbage by removing the dumpster. It'll be all over the place now....just like before. Dimwits can't recall why the category was put there to begin with. But good for all of us that the Barney Fifes will be in every category wielding their little censorship swords.

I guess we know who the real voice of reason was around here. If my guess is right, the new sheriff will turn this site into a useless, personality-less piece of junk aviation site like the rest.

Duhhhh.....it's all the characters around here that keep this site interesting and worth visiting for those who HAVE the jobs already. It'll be useless when you lose those folks because you chose to sanitize it with your own little moral compass.


-morons.
Well said Hugh, all this new moderators are really spoiling the mood around here, what a shame. At least UAL78 played along, these new mods suck.
 

BoilerUP

Citation style...
Joined
Nov 11, 2003
Posts
5,311
Total Time
1500+
Hugh Jorgan said:
Find the "ignore" function and use it if there is someone whose posts you just can't ignore on your own. Censorship.......love to see someone sworn to support and defend the constitution of the united states as an advocate of disregarding one of our cornerstone articles of that very document. Nice work, Hitler.
You miss the point, Hugh. Free speech is one thing, and needlessly being a PITA to the other members of the board is another thing entirely. Your statement that they are trying to "get rid of the garbage by removing the dumpster" is spot-on...its easier and better to get rid of the garbage by throwing it out, wouldn't you agree? The mods want members who contribute to this site, and permanently banning those who continually cause problems would go a long way in achieving that for the moderators.

Am I advocating a quick trigger? No. What I AM advocating is a solution that keeps the forums open to those 95% who use the board as intended. Its not an issue about censorship, so don't pretend like it is - its an issue about following the user agreement of this website. The rules for this website say "this board is not a democracy", but not listening to the serfs could cost the admins of Flightinfo a large portion of their members. Do they care? We'll see.
 

SWAnnabee

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 21, 2003
Posts
241
Total Time
1900
If this is to be "aviation only" then why is the YGBSM forum still open???

Mods answer----cricket....cricket....cricket......
 

LAXSaabdude

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 25, 2002
Posts
431
Total Time
15K +
Hugh Jorgan said:
This is like hoping to get rid of garbage by removing the dumpster. It'll be all over the place now....just like before. Dimwits can't recall why the category was put there to begin with..
Excellent point. I was just about ready to give this site up before the Non-Av forum came around, I got so tired of wading through all of the irrelevent threads. When the Non-Av forum came into play, a lot of the hardcore right-wingers were initially upset, thinking they had been kicked off their soap box, but quickly found out that they had an even bigger soapbox on which to proselytize.

The Non-Av forum had a huge following, almost immediately, and at the same time, the Aviation forums saw an immediate resurgence, as people were now able to quickly find subjects that interested them. Win-win.

Glad to see the Non-Av forum back, but I am growing more than a little suspicious of the new powers that be. Another large mis-step, or a series of small ones, will be the end of this site.

LAXSaabdude.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top