Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skykid

On Point
United Airlines Announces Significant Expansion to Mexico, the Caribbean and Central America
Monday May 3, 2:52 pm ET
America's Largest International Carrier Adds Leisure Destinations for Holiday Travel

CHICAGO, May 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- United Airlines (OTC Bulletin Board: UALAQ - News) today announced that it is again bolstering its international portfolio with service to seven new destinations in Mexico, the Caribbean and Central America, in time for winter holiday travel. Service is scheduled to begin in December, subject to approval of government operating authorities.

"Our customers have told us they want one airline and one frequent flyer program to meet their business and leisure travel needs," said Graham Atkinson, senior vice president - Worldwide Sales and Alliances. "With the addition of these warm-weather vacation destinations, we can provide our customers with even more choices for international travel, supported by the breadth of our global network and Mileage Plus, the most preferred frequent flyer program."

Service to the new destinations will be launched in conjunction with United Vacations, which will create vacation packages for each of these destinations.

United plans to offer new Mexico service to Cozumel, Cancun, San Jose del Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Ixtapa.

Caribbean service will include Montego Bay, Jamaica; Punta Cana, Dominican Republic; and St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles; and additional service to Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. United previously announced its intent to operate service from Denver to Cancun, Mexico, subject to receipt of government operating authority.

United will also launch Central American service from Chicago O'Hare to San Jose, Costa Rica.

United currently serves San Jose, Costa Rica; Cancun, Mexico; San Juan, Puerto Rico, Grand Cayman (seasonal service); St. Thomas, Aruba and Bermuda.

Flight times, frequencies and other additional information will be made available upon receipt of government operating authority.

This in addition to increased service to China, Hong Kong, Zurich, Hawaii, and new service pending for Vietnam among other destinations is great news for United. New mgt has pulled out of or turned over to Express many places that weren't making money and is thinking outside the box to go after new revenue. This is what we have been waiting for. Tilton is proving he is worth following. Also, the Success Sharing program has a great chance of changing the culture at United. Tilton has 6 years to go with all the current contracts - that is plenty of time to get people used to being paid based on performance. I was afraid the amount for the first payment last week would be too small to get people excited - I was wrong. Point is - keep adding routes and United will be getting furloughees back as well.

Nice to see some brighter news for UAL....there are some fine employees there (and plenty waiting to go back).

Seems like Eastern (And Pan Am) also expanded service to the Caribbean, too, right up until they turned the lights off and locked up the doors.

Isn't the Mexicana yanking out of the Star Alliance? That would necessitate having to start-up a bunch of Mexico flying as well. With the hub and population out around IAD the Caribbean stuff should work just as well as CAL does at EWR with the Caribbean flying. Despite pathetic player haters like Ty, I hope UAL gets back on its feet.

I am not a UAL-hater, nor am I a USAirways hater, anymore than Darwin was a wooly-mammoth hater.

And I am certainly not pathetic ;)

Seems like Eastern (And Pan Am) also expanded service to the Caribbean, too, right up until they turned the lights off and locked up the doors.
Didn't Eastern sell off their South American routes before going tits up?

Minh

Latest resources

Back