• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Jytters

Lurker
Total Time
Please forgive my ignorance, but this is the first forum that I've been on that when I do a search for new posts, it seems I have a certain amount of time to make it through them before I get a message that says, "Sorry - no new matches". For instance, today there were 270+ new posts that I was wading through. I made it through about 75 of them, then had to walk away from the computer. When I came back, I clicked on the next page of new posts and got that message. I was wondering if I am timeing out because of being inactive on the board, or if there was a setting in my user profile that I could set to keep this from happening. Hopefully I explained this properly, if not I could try and 'splain a little more.

Thanks,
Z

TonyC

Frederick's Happy Face
Total Time
>8,000
Jytters,

I know what you're talkin' about. It's frustrating. I don't know of a setting that we can access to change it.

It appears to me that when you Click on New Posts you essentially do a search, and the search has a SearchID (look in the navigator bar of your browser) and that SearchID is perishable, that is, it's only good for a certain length of time. I join you in asking that the length of time be extended.

Until it's fixed, here's my workaround.

When I've been away for a while, and the list of new posts is long, and I know it's going to take a while to wade through them all, I open a separate Window for each page of posts. This is easy to do. Simply hold the SHIFT key while you click on 2 and 3 and 4 (the page numbers) and so on. If you have 7 pages of new posts, you'll have 7 open windows. Then, when you select a thread to read, do the same thing to open that thread in it's own window. When you're finished reading the thread, close it's window.

With this method, you won't be using the Back button on your browser, or the next page number of the New Threads (Search) Display to call up the Search that you first performed when you clicked New Posts. No need to worry that it expired 30 minutes ago.

There are other ways to go about it, I'm sure, but that's the technique I use, and it saves the frustration of the "Sorry..." message and the ensuing wondering about what you missed.

I've heard of guys opening every thread that interests them that way before reading any. I don't know how many open windows that would involve, but it would also allow you to reduce the amount of time you have to stay online to read the threads - - hook up, open all the windows, disconnect, read. Just a thought.

Also, make sure you've clicked on the Remember Me box when you sign on. That seems to prevent the frequent log offs.

Jytters

Lurker
Total Time
Thanks TonyC. That idea of opening each page in a new window seems like an easy enough work around.

It seems like there must be a setting in the board setup (not our user setup) that could be extended, since I've never had this problem on other boards before.

Anyhoo, thanks again,
Z