Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dominicinco

New Jersey flight schools

I hear flight schools are cheaper in New Jersey, can anyone recommend any flight schools there? The schools in Long Island are pricey but if you get better instruction then i dont mind paying a lil something more. Any thoughts on these schools, i think they're all based out of Republic Airport in Farmingdale, LI.... Air East, L.I.F.T., Select Aviation, or Nassau Flyers... much appreciated.

Last edited:
Yes there are some good schools in NJ. Some may be just as $$ as thoes on LI. As always the further you get from the city the more the price goes down. Guess it depends on how far you want to drive. TTN has a good communtiy college program but you can do part 61 there too. As for the quality of instruction the school can only go so far it will really depend on the instructor. There is always a chance you could get and instructor who stinks or you don't mesh with at a school your paying top dollar with. The opposite also holds true.

Let us know where your driving from and what type of program your looking for and I/we could help alittle more.

Take Care

Old Bridge is a cool little uncontrolled airport with a perpetual crosswind and the uncommon and often haunting aroma of charm. This field has some excellent instructors, tops of their game and are always willing to help pilots achieve more. In fact, through the end of September, the airplane rentals (pa-28s and 172s) are $65 an hour wet. This is a good deal and the planes are in great shape. I used to instruct there full time and I cherish the memories. You will become a better pilot flying in and out of Old Bridge because of the unusual nature of the wind there. There are two flight schools there, one is MJAir and the other is Northeast Aviation II. Give these guys a ring and see if you can find the low cost/high quality instruction you are searching for.

Steve

Thanks guys for all your help.. TO answer question I am based in Flushing, Queens, NYC. I would like to give equal attention to the flight school you all have posted but truth is I dont drive and the commute will be a &%*#%! Im thinking of taking the LIRR either way out to Republic Airport and hitting one of the school up over there or traveling the other direction to New Jersey by way of LIRR as well.
Its VERY hard to decide which school to choose because they all seem good and prices are similar.. I will report back on how I will single out schools or if any of you have suggestions chime in at any time.

By the way, I always here the term part 61 or part 121...can anyone tell me what they mean. I want to get my Private Pilots License so I can one day fly my family, and then get commercial certified and be able to charge people I fly. :)
ALso, how long does it take to get your Private, usually. Say you log on 3-4 hours a day and you need about 70 to get it right, so about 2 months if you go twice a week???

Part 141 v. Part 61

Dominicinco said:
By the way, I always here the term part 61 or part 121...can anyone tell me what they mean.
These are parts of the Federal Aviation Regulations. Part 121 deals with scheduled airline operations. If you're speaking in a flight training context, maybe you mean Part 141.

Part 141 refers to FAA-approved pilot schools. Part 61 refers to the basic training requirements for pilots. Part 141 establishes a structure under which "approved" schools operate. That includes such things as a hierarchy of officials, approval of the airport at which the school operates,minimum requirements for classrooms, and an approved Training Course Outline. Under Part 61, your training is solely under the direction of your flight instructor.

Because of the structure imposed by Part 141, students can finish their training in fewer hours than under Part 61. They also have to take many more tests. Under Part 61, you have to meet prescribed minimum requirements, but the only test you take that matters is your practical examination with an FAA pilot examiner.

You can earn all your ratings under either Part 141 or Part 61, including your Private.

There's plenty of debate about which way is better for professional pilot training. The truth is that both ways work. I suggest you run a search on the board on that subject. You will get back far more information than you will ever need.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your training.

Dominicinco said:
ALso, how long does it take to get your Private, usually. Say you log on 3-4 hours a day and you need about 70 to get it right, so about 2 months if you go twice a week???

The minimum requirement for a private pilot's certificate is 40 hours. Most students take 65-75 hours to complete their training and become a proficient and safe pilot. Plan on a two-hour block of your time equating to one-hour of flight time. This includes time to brief the flight with your instructor, get the keys, double-check the weather (again), tinkle, and preflight the aircraft.

I've found that most students' learning drops off after 1.3 to 1.7 hours in the air at the private level. Your instructor and your club will have a policy or a preference on scheduling so you get the maximum benefit from your time in the plane.

Flying three to five times a week is great if you have the scheduling flexibility to do that. Planes will break, weather will sour, and you will be on the ground during days you would rather be up flying. Also, figure in ground school time to learn the in's-and-out's of airspace, regulations, and other fun topics. Many of those 3-5 days-per-week students take on the order of three months after the normal delays and cancellations in flight training.

Learning how to fly is something worth taking the time to do it right on the first try.

If you have any questions feel free to post them here or on the flight training board. You have a wonderful resource in other students, CFIs, professional pilots, and other airplane lovers on this board.

Latest resources

Back