New Hire Trip Report

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chase

For those folks waiting for a class date the following was sent to me from a recent new hire. The info was enlightening & I asked his permission to share with folks on here. I wish to thank him & hope it is useful to those who have questions about what to expect when they show up. Again congrats to those who have been selected & to those who are awaiting the DB in Feb after interviewing last month. For the patient who are still waiting, hang in there....be on the ready, you'll never know when Ed McMahon will show up at your door with that big announcement!!!:) Keep in mind this isn't an endorsement for purchasing any of these products by me (I do have them myself) or an endorsement from SWA....Southwest sends you a CD with a lot of useful info several weeks prior to you coming to Southwest that is very good & gives you all the necessary info to do well during your training. cheers,

I recommend buying the flash cards, flows, and profiles at http://www.pass737.com/ and the 737SW Cockpit Companion at http://www.fmcguide.com/ . Make sure you order the fourth one down the list (Southwest specific). The stuff at Pass737 will come in handy during training. Don't sweat - you'll know the flash cards, flows, and profile info by the time the sim phase starts. The "Cockpit Companion" should come in handy on the road after training since you don't have to carry the "Dash 1" (called the FRM).

For financial planning, plan on spending close to $1200 in your first week of training - luggage, gym bag, flight bag, leather coat, uniform jacket and 3 pairs of pants. All uniform items are mandatory purchases except the hat and leather coat. You can order shirts from VanHuesen.com. I recommend four (4) Commander or Aviator style short-sleeve shirts and maybe one long-sleeve. You do not want a shirt with nametag eye-holes. I decided to post-pone the hat until Captain upgrade because it looks more official and seems weird when the FO has a hat the Captain doesn't. You can do pay-roll deduction or pay the $1200 outright if you are financially ready. There are two leather jackets - lamb skin for $575 or goat skin for $475. I went with the goat skin with zip-in liner because it should last longer. The lamb is definitely smoother, but fades to almost gray over years and isn't as warm in the Northeast winters. Plus, you WILL be getting de-icing fluid dripping on it (How do I know?). For shoes I strongly recommend a pair of Deer Stag "Motivation" slip-on shoes. We found these for $50 at Penney's. They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn and are all rubber sole, so you don't have to take them off in security. They also sell a lace up version.

As far as pay goes, I am getting a SWA paycheck on the 5th and 20th. Be ready to float your own finances for the first 6-8 weeks because it takes a little while for the payroll to kick in. Your paycheck on the 5th will be around $1470 and it is an advance from SWA. The paycheck on the 20th is a reconciliation of your flying time and is around $2600 but varies greatly depending on trips flown. You can pick up trips for "2nd Year" pay, but I have only done that once. I flew a 2-day trip and earned almost $800! With my cross-country commuting I usually just enjoy the time off. Once I am based at Orlando and am only gone 3-4 days a week I'll pick up more.

Looks like Chicago is growing huge! They just announced 23 FO's going there in March and another 30 in April! I may head back to Chicago vs Baltimore and get a better flying line. The flying time is the same from Tampa and the crash pads are 4 blocks from the airport, vs the train or taxi ride in BWI.

Great piece of info. One opinion on the leather jacket though.

I bought the lamb skin over ten years ago and have not had the same problem of the "greying" as others did before me. It is plenty warm and if it isn't warm enough you can have a warmer liner intalled. It looks a whole lot nicer and is far more comfortable than the goat skin. The goat skin is very stiff.

SWAdude,

Thanks for the clarification...mine is goatskin & it is exactly as you said....if there are other folks out there with other info or clarification to this info please feel free to add to it. Thanks again SWAdude...hope to fly with you sometime in the future.

Good Info folks. I too am a big proponent of Deer Stags with Supro technology (whatever that means). I bought the "Vegas" style the other month, which is the airport friendly leather slip on version. I couldn't find the "Motivation" style, even on Deer Stags website. JC Penny does seem to be the best place to buy them though, as they go on sale often. As for shirts, I prefer pilotshirts.com. They sell as short sleeve, tapered, beef oxford (TOCS) that is great. If you have a big chest (take your mind out of the gutter) and don't want tons of material hanging over your belt, tapered is the only way to go. I don't get a commission either, just a little trial and error purchasing. Buy replacement pants at Kohl's. They sell a great looking, long lasting Haggar pant that has some give in them at a great price.

Good luck to all and hurry up and move Chase and I up in seniority for goodness sakes.

Db

Haven't heard for sure, suspect it will be around 15ish Feb, + - a day or so. Good luck,

TGR,

Haven't heard anything...still a little early to hear for classes I believe...patience is the buzzword. As some food for thought, consider this program once you get to Southwest...over 10% of the pilots are involved...it is a lot of fun & rewarding for both the kids & the folks involved. If you know of 5th grade teachers out there (the curriculm is designed for 5th graders), going to the website (link provided below) can provide any classroom teacher the necessary tools to include lesson plans, access to a "virtual pilot" who will communicate with the class via the internet & with computer videos about careers in aviation. The folks who do this at SWA are great folks & make this program a great success, along with all the pilots who volunteer for it....hats off to the MDW pilots who have been the top % participaters in the last couple of years I believe, before it was PHX I think. Enjoy the article,

Southwest Airlines Adopt-A-Pilot Educational Program Encourages School-To- Career Path
Tuesday February 1, 12:41 pm ET Students Chart Their Course for the Future

DALLAS, Feb. 1 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- What did you want to be when you grew up? More than 25,000 fifth-grade students nationwide are already considering their future, with a little help from above.

http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=125qs8g...ffer=KJK&bannerinfo=financenews|300|250&url=/They are being mentored by Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV - News) pilots in an educational program that encourages students to research careers, believe in themselves, and realize the importance of achieving in school.

More than 550 Southwest pilots are volunteering in the Southwest Airlines Adopt-A-Pilot educational program, which celebrates its national launch today. Now in its eighth year, the Adopt-A-Pilot program curriculum incorporates science, math, geography, writing, and other subjects to help students' experience the real-life application of academics, and also to demonstrate how education is critical in reaching one's personal goals. To learn more about the Adopt-A-Pilot program, go to: http://www.southwest.com/adoptapilot/?sr=PR_pilot_020105 .

During the four-week mentorship program, Pilots volunteer their time in adoptive classrooms and correspond from the "road" via e-mail and postcards. Classrooms chart the Pilot's course through an official U.S. route map, and the students record daily flying statistics sent by their Pilot in the provided Adopt-A-Pilot curriculum. "We are grateful for the opportunity to work with so many inspiring teachers and students across the country. Each year, we've seen more pilots volunteer in the Adopt-A-Pilot program, and it's easy to see why. The personal rewards of partnering with dedicated teachers and students has proven contagious," says Greg Crum, Southwest's vice president of flight operations.

"We are also appreciative for the personal commitment of these Pilots who want to make a difference. We hear from teachers that many students have gained increased self-esteem and determination for future careers as a result of the Adopt-A-Pilot program," he said.

Reinforcing its school-to-career theme, Adopt-A-Pilot includes a national contest -- "What's Your Destination?" -- where classes are invited to script, direct, perform, and produce their own three-minute video depicting careers each student hopes to one day pursue. The winning class will earn a daylong educational field trip to a nearby Southwest destination.

The program also incorporates technology, with interactive learning tools available online at http://www.southwest.com/adoptapilot , such as a virtual tour of a Boeing 737 cockpit and streaming video segments that describe aviation careers.

Since it began in 1997, the Adopt-A-Pilot educational program has reached more than 80,000 students in communities from coast-to-coast. Southwest Airlines originally developed this premiere community relations program in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Education, America's Promise, the Smithsonian Institute's National Air and Space Museum, and others in response to the need for community involvement in schools. National leaders such as Secretary of State Colin Powell, former President Bill Clinton, and First Lady Laura Bush have recognized the program. Southwest Airlines, the nation's largest carrier in terms of domestic passengers enplaned (according to DOT data for the third quarter of 2004), currently serves 60 airports in 59 cities in 31 states. Based in Dallas, Southwest currently operates 2,900 flights a day and has 32,000 employees systemwide. The carrier will begin service to Pittsburgh in May 2005.

P.S. It isn't a bad place to get info on the company either for those wanting to understand the SWA culture a little better

Another endorsement for lambskin. Sixth year of use and it remains in that "nicely broken-in but not too worn" condition. For me it was a no-brainer after trying on one of each....the goatskin felt and looked like vinyl.

Lamb or goat...either one still has it all over the dreaded trench coat/blazer! :D

One more tip for the newbies: If getting the Scott leather flightbag, may want to consider the narrower model (NOT like the one in the training center display case....ya have to ask for it special). Still has plenty of room for all required pubs and goes in/comes out of the guppy cockpit MUCH easier than the std bag.

Latest resources

Back