• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

InHot

Oh Yeahhhh
Hey Guys,

I'm an old military guy who has a great flying job (SWA). I have a nephew who is considering an aviation career and would like advice as to how to go about getting his training.

I'll bet it's probably been beat death already a thousand times, but I'd like to hear opinions about how a young (23 yr old) guy should go about getting into the aviation profession.

He has an AA degree (non-aviation) and 0 flight time.

Military, FBO, Embry Riddle, Academy (COMAIR, etc)... what do you think?

Inquiring minds want to know!:)

Mesa Airlines Pilot Development Program (MAPD)- I have had a quite a few friends that went through the program and now many are at ATA/AWA and others. It is by far the quickest route/program to the right seat of a regional jet that is not PFT, he will earn his wings by the time he is done. If he can handle Farmington for 18-19 months and the pressure associated with this program then I surely would steer him in this direction. They will train him from day 1 to be a airline pilot. Obviously you have many other routes but from a time standpoint this is by far the quickest and it will push him day after day, not easy by any means but the rewards are obvious.

3 5 0

Where to start?

InHot said:
I'll bet it's probably been beat death already a thousand times, but I'd like to hear opinions about how a young (23 yr old) guy should go about getting into the aviation profession.

He has an AA degree (non-aviation) and 0 flight time.

Military, FBO, Embry Riddle, Academy (COMAIR, etc)... what do you think?

Inquiring minds want to know!:)
The answer to your question is any of the above. Whatever suits his needs the best. Any of the choices you mentioned will work. MAPD is a good possibility. I instructed there, at ERAU in Prescott, at FlightSafety Academy in Vero, and a couple of others. I had an interview at Comair several years ago.

I like a formal school environment because of the discipline and organization associated with "school." Every day, you have to study, attend class, take exams, prepare for and attend formal flight and sim training. In turn, you learn more, better, faster and maybe cheaper in the long run because you are essentially forced to keep up.

Much will be dictated on how much he can afford to spend and his availability. Generally, he needs to consider how many credentials that he can earn that will find him work the soonest for cost expended, and employment possibilities after work. Military, as you know, is a great choice, provided he can get in and can get a UPT slot. And, as you know, he would have to realize that the military is his career, that "pilot" is his job title, and after he leaves the military he will be making a career change.

Finally, at some point he should earn his four-year degree. Not to mention that an aviation career requires a great amount of commitment.

Best thing he can do now is to learn first about how flight training is provided. Armed with this knowledge, he can then visit schools, etc. and decide what's best.

Hope these few points help a little. Good luck with whatever direction your nephew proceeds.

Last edited:
I would reccommend going to a 4 year college that has a flight department. Most will give him credit for his associate degree and then he can knock his BS degree out at the same time he gets his ratings. I think it would kill 2 birds with one stone.
If that isn't what he wants I know several guys that went to MN Aviation Inc. and hauled @ss through the ratings. They also got a CFI job upon completion. They will really push a guy hard. In fact I just looked them up on the net they have a professional pilot course that they say may easily be completed in 4 months. After he spends 25K and works 6 days a week he will be a Commercial single and Multi-Engine Instrument rated pilot with a CFI, CFII, MEI. The 25k includes instructor time, rental, sim, books, checkrides, and written exams. Everything except a medical and housing. (Albert Lea, MN isn't very pricy as far as apartments go.) So I think it would be a great place. BTW in MN your nephew should get some good actual, I did in Iowa.
These options are in addition to what the guys above mentioned.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys - good stuff.

One thing I think most everyone agrees upon is to get the four degree. It is definitely a plus when looking for any employment, whether in aviation or outside in the "real" world.

Any more opinions?

Definitely the Air Force. If he qualifies, and has the aptitude, there is no better flight opportunity out there.

Go guard. I'm biased. Most of the guys (and gals) in my unit are all airline pilots on the side. The furloughed guys are now bumming to make ends meet.

Finish school and start talking to Guard units. Persistance pays off and I'm living proof that you don't need to know someone in the squadron already. Good luck.

I think he's right. The guard will pay for the degree. Just make it in something useful outside of aviation, so he can live through the layoffs.

Latest resources

Back