Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mach none

wishin I was on a boat
Alaska Airlines today announced it has applied for authority to provide nonstop service from Los Angeles to Loreto, Mexico. The service will be supported by a marketing partnership with The Loreto Bay Company. The twice-weekly flights will begin February 17, pending U.S. Department of Transportation approval.

Located on the Sea of Cortez side of Mexico’s Baja Peninsula about 150 miles north of La Paz, Loreto is one of five areas (the others being Cancun, Cabo San Lucas, Huatulco and Ixtapa) identified by FONATUR, Mexico's tourist development agency, as prime tourism growth sites in Mexico. FONATUR selected The Loreto Bay Company as the primary developer of the destination.

“We are pleased to be partnering with The Loreto Bay Company to develop air service to Loreto in conjunction with the resort’s development,” said Gregg Saretsky, executive vice president of marketing and planning. “Our customers will be able to enjoy the warmth and uniqueness of a charming Mexico resort within same-day service from California, the Pacific Northwest, Alaska and western Canada.”

Loreto is a seaside village sandwiched between the Sierra de la Giganta Mountains and the Sea of Cortez. Steeped in colonial history as the site of Mexico’s first mission, Loreto is renowned for its marina, fishing, water sports, pristine beaches and authentic cuisine.

The proposed flights will operate Sundays and Thursdays. They will depart Los Angeles at 11:10 a.m. and arrive in Loreto at 1:59 p.m. Return flights will depart Loreto at 4 p.m. and arrive in Los Angeles at 4:55 p.m. Alaska plans to use 140-seat MD-80 series aircraft on the route.

Loreto will be Alaska Airlines’ eighth destination in Mexico. The airline plans to offer a complete range of vacation packages to Loreto.

The Loreto Bay Company, a Canadian American corporation headquartered in Scottsdale Arizona, is developing The Villages of Loreto Bay, a series of seaside villages built on 8,000 acres in the foothills near Loreto.

Wanna bet a Mesa CR9 as well as Coex 145XRs will be flying that route as well very soon... Like flies on $hit.

Maybe so, but Alaska is no Mexico lightweight. They have been one of the biggest carriers serving big and not so big Mexican resorts for many years now, so this is nothing new to them or their customer base.

BTW, I was just in Loreto a few months ago. Off the beaten path, and VERY unspoiled! I'm kind of sad to see it get develped, but it is inevitable I guess! Gotta go into town to really experience the old school town, very hospitable locals, the small but very good family restaraunts and the very first Spanish Mission on the West Coast. This place is the exact opposite of Cabo, vibe wise - for now I guess.

BTW, Loreto is on the Baja part of Mexico. This is not "Nuevo Loreto" on the border by Texas. No offense intended for "Nuevo Loreto" fans out there of course! ;) And no, I'm not promoting AS either, I'm just a frequent Mexico Margarita Taster when given the opportunity.

This is a good idea on Alaska's part. There are several new developments near La Paz as well. The drive is a bit easier to these resorts from Loreto than from Cabo.

A new Mexico layover...ummmmmmmm...This could be good...

Isn't it "Nuevo Laredo" ---which is on the other side of the border with Laredo, TX? Not "Nuevo Loreto". My Mom knew a friend who knew somebody from there, once.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
Isn't it "Nuevo Laredo" ---which is on the other side of the border with Laredo, TX? Not "Nuevo Loreto". My Mom knew a friend who knew somebody from there, once.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Yep, south Texas. Laredo is ours, Nuevo Laredo is theirs.

Funny how Nuevo Laredo (translated as "New Laredo") seems to be older and more run down than Laredo, TX.

Cheers!

GP

Latest resources

Back