Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tri-holer

Unregistered Ruser
Before you flame me, I did a search and didn't find the answer - just parts of it.
Home basing is not available for new hires, right? Just those who were there when the contract was signed. A new hire is based at one of the 5 bases and that is it. No home basing, even with the 7 and 7 schedule, right?

Is the rule still "must be within 90 miles of the base by midnight of the first day of the trip"? I live about 120 from CMH and hate to think that I will have to drive in the middle of the night to get there and sit around for 6 hours until my trip starts.

Thanks.

Tri-holer said:
Is the rule still "must be within 90 miles of the base by midnight of the first day of the trip"? I live about 120 from CMH and hate to think that I will have to drive in the middle of the night to get there and sit around for 6 hours until my trip starts.
You get briefed on your last day off (NLT 1900) as to what your show time is for the next day. All you have to do is be there at your show time. The 90 mile rule was under the old contract.

So they could send you a brief on your pager at 1400 on your last day off that your show time is 0000 (10 hrs notice). If they don't brief you until 1900, the earliest your show could be is 0500 (10 hours notice).

So, no waiting around 6 hours until your trip or airline out happens. You also get overtime on your first day for any show prior to 0800 and first day overtime for any duty over 9 hours.

Last edited:
notaNJApilot said:
Yep. And ones quitting because they decide the drive isn't worth it.

Hmmm. I don't know what to say about this, on one hand they knew this when they took the job. On the other hand that has to send a little message to the company after they spent a fortune training the guy. I doubt it will change anything in the short term.

I had a new hire whining to me that other day about his drive from SAN to LAX. I laughed, when you have done 3.5-4 hrs for 5 years, then give me a call.

RNObased said:
I laughed, when you have done 3.5-4 hrs for 5 years, then give me a call.
Is 3.5-4 for 5 years more or less that 4.5-5 for 3 years?

I just hope no one gets hurt doing a pointless drive to a domicle for a airline.

Fozzy said:
Is 3.5-4 for 5 years more or less that 4.5-5 for 3 years?

I just hope no one gets hurt doing a pointless drive to a domicle for a airline.

It is a pick'em I would say.

My point is they know about the commute before they got here as I did. Getting hired and hoping that it will change in the near future is a crap shoot at best.

Thanks for the info - esp. Majik. It helps knowing that I can wait until necessary to drive to the domicile.
I'm not trying to change the rules or anything - just want to make sure I understand what I am getting into ahead of time. When I (much more optimistic than "If I...") interview, I want to be 100% want to be here rather than reassessing based on what they tell in the orientation.
Thanks again.

Latest resources

Back