Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EMBpilot

Hello all,

I am an airline pilot (Continental) and I have been thinking a lot about giving something back to my country.
I would like to learn more about Air National Guard and if you don't mind answering a couple of questions I would really appreciate it.

1. What is the age limit? I am 33 is it too late to join?

2. If I join a fighter unit am I guarantied a fighter slot?

3. How long is the full time commitment i.e. how long would I have to be out from my current employment and what is the pay? Since I sort of know how to fly would that cut the training time?

4. Would my employer have to hire me back after the initial full time commitment i.e. call all that time a MLA?

5. Once the full time portion is done what is a life style like - how often do you get to fly and how much time (approx. days/year) on deployments?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Hello all,

I am an airline pilot (Continental) and I have been thinking a lot about giving something back to my country.
I would like to learn more about Air National Guard and if you don't mind answering a couple of questions I would really appreciate it.

1. What is the age limit? I am 33 is it too late to join?

2. If I join a fighter unit am I guarantied a fighter slot?

3. How long is the full time commitment i.e. how long would I have to be out from my current employment and what is the pay? Since I sort of know how to fly would that cut the training time?

4. Would my employer have to hire me back after the initial full time commitment i.e. call all that time a MLA?

5. Once the full time portion is done what is a life style like - how often do you get to fly and how much time (approx. days/year) on deployments?

Thanks a lot

1. Its too late

So, there is no reason to worry about the rest of them.

If you simply want to serve your country, the Army Guard will still take you as a grunt. I'd expect a one year hitch in Iraq, though. If you want to fly, then it may be too late. Waivers abound, however, for the right guy at the right unit, at the right time. Unfortunately, your training time will not be reduced. Your experience might make it easier, but not any quicker. Count on 18-24 months from start of UPT to end of RTU. The only airplane you are guaranteed to fly is the one the unit that hires you flies. Once the full time is done, count on flying a minimum of 8 times per quarter for heavies, probably a bit more for fighters, not sure. May or may not deploy, depending on mission and aircraft type. Fighter aircraft, then you may not deploy unless the ******************** hits the fan. It did in Iraq and there were tons of guard fighters there for a very long time who did a great job. Not sure what the current situation is for guard fighters deployed, though I did have a good buddy spend some time there recently. I'm scheduled to ship out in November. Heavy unit, count on being gone at least one rotation a year. Good luck.

Can someone answer these questions anyways, i'm intrested and am 25 and have many of the same questions as listed above.

You can always call units, chances of an age waiver at 33 are slim, but you never know. Fighter units... not very likely (again you never know), but a heavy unit might pick you up with 4k hours if you did some smooth talking. Many things are possible with waivers in the guard.

Latest resources

Back