Need Career Advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flying"C"ranchr

I have been following Fly767's post. I am on the other end of the slide-rule. I am an ERJ FO at Mesa. I was a BE1900D CPT prior to 9/11... 9/11, reserve status and only home 4 nights (8 days off but had to travel home on days off)/bid made me rethink priorities. I only have 500 turbine PIC. Approximately 2600 TT.

I am married and 43 years old. The Mesa duty schedule is grinding me down (10 days off and 5 day trips). During the past year, I have been actively seeking an opportunity to fly for a guard or reserve unit. I am an ex-army helo pilot. The Air Force reserve/Guard was not receptive. I received a positive response from the Army Reserve in my home town. They fly King Airs and Citations. They only required me to reclassify as a warrant officer. I just took the oath of office as a WO1.

I need eight more years with the military to retire. Here's my question. "Should I pursue a full-time reserve/guard position and get the retirement check?" My concern is at my age and when the major airlines start hiring again how much time will I have at the majors? I am just specualting, but I could possibly finish my military service and take another crack at the majors.

I have another question regarding retirement at the majors. How much time do you need to work at a major airline to qualify/receive retirement? Does anybody have a crystal ball or best guess when the hiring will begin again at the majors? My gut tells me 6 to 8 years. Am I way off on this?

Thx for any advice GOOD OR BAD.

My Best,
Ranch'r

Major job?

A major job for you 6-8 years in the future is pure crystal ball. If it is in a slow season no chance, if it is hot and 09 could be a hot year you may have shot. But the mil thing right now is a sure thing go for it, it will give you a decent wage supplement no matter what you do when you retire and you will find there are many "non-major" good flying jobs for guys with your experience. Also I left the Navy in 1977 and have had 11 jobs 7 flying 4 non-flying no retriemetn from anyone, but my reserve retirment is good enought that I will retire in decent shape. Pm me if you have any specific questions about the reserves.

Age and military

I don't claim to be an expert at all on military flying and service obligations. I do think I know something about age v. airline hiring v. quals. I worked at Mesa's school nearly ten years ago and interviewed there for an FO position in 1990, so I do believe I know something about that "company."

I think that you have an advantage with your 121 experience including captain. Flying fixed-wing in the military in either C-12s or C-21s can give you the turbine time you need, which, I assume, will include PIC. Military flight time is always a plus.

Just two other considerations. You might have to design a plausable answer for your interview about why you left airline flying for the military. I like your reasoning, but it could imply that you were chickening out from bad schedules, which could be the best lines you hold for a while at the majors. Also, could your unit be called up to active duty (which may not necessarily be bad)?

In your case, I don't think that you'd be too old. The majors do hire pilots in their 40s and 50s - highly experienced and qualified pilots who've been flying for years.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Sounds Familiar

Tough one. When you say full time position what do you mean? Are you saying that in 8 years you will have an active duty retirement, or will it be a reserve retirement? Are they offering you an AGR position? Not that it matters.

I'm in the same boat, I made a few career decisions based on staying full time military. Am I happy with my decisions, the jury is still out. Ask me when I'm 60.

Will you make Captain with Mesa in 8 years? If you're still a regional FO in 8 years, I would highly recommend going for the retirement. I agree with what Pilotyip wrote. Here's a rhetorical question, do you think you'll be competitive in 8 years for the majors? How many other regional FOs are thinking the same thoughts but won't be 51 when hiring starts up again?

Don't base your decisions on the possibility of getting on with a major and getting a retirement.

In eight to ten years the chance of working for someone that offers a company paid pension is probably pretty slim.

When US AIR and United come out of reorganization (if they do) don't count on a paid pension for any new hire in the future. They will probably truly have an A and B payscale (which will include benefits, or lack there of)

When Delta and AA both have to file backruptcy they will do what ever they can to pull out of it. More than likely the only way to do this will be to follow suit with US Air and United. This means their pensions will probably go away too. (understand, I mean pensions for new hires. The guys who have been around will probably not lose their retirements. It just won't be an option for new hires.)

I would suggest getting what you know is a sure thing. (government retirement) If you end up down the road at a major that has a retirement plan then you have hit the jackpot, but if not, at least you will not be standing in a soup line.

IMHO, go for the retirement. You can't count on getting a job with a major and even if you got a job with them, you can no longer count on a major airline providing a nice retirement. Just ask the guys at US Airways. Their on the verge of losing most of their retirement. At least the miltary retirement is about as close to a sure thing as you can get in this business. Plus, you get to be home more often and there is a lot more to life than flying airplanes. (Like enjoying your family and keeping your health.) You can get a job with a major in your late forties and fifties. I did. Also, like a previous post stated, don't overlook non-major flying jobs. There are quite a few that offer a great career. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank You for the Great Advice

Everyone who replied to my post, I just want to say thank you. Everyone's responses where very helpful in opening my eyes in going for the sure thing. e-mentorship what a great thing.

I just got the call today from the reserve unit and they wanted to know if I was ready to begin drilling next month. It's not an active reserve slot, but my foot is in the door. They fly C-12s and 21s. I feel very fortunate for this opportunity. The unit needs pilots to pick up short notice flights. Once I get a slot to the Military Fixed Wing Course, I'm volunteering for everything that comes up.

Not to sound greedy, but I hope to get a chance at a fulltime reserve slot. Once again, thank you for the advice.

My best,
Ranch'r
P.S. IonSlo, I appreciate the personal message you sent to me.

Mil Drop

Now you can "Mil Drop" a trip or two. This comes in handy for pilots with schedules like yours. Of course you'll be looking to make up the loss of $$ with the Guard. I hope you get a lot of FTPs.

Try to get on with Air Wis. We have trip and duty rigs just like the larger airlines, a partially funded retirement plan ... and we top out @ 127.00/hr.

Latest resources

Back