Nebraska ANG

T-prop

Ab Initio is the best...
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Posts
359
Total Time
4.4k
I've done a search on this forum about the NE ANG with no luck. I have three questions.

-When are the boards taking place next?
-What is the max age allowed when you show up to pilot training?
-How hard is it to get into the Des Moines F-16 unit if Nebraska doesn't work out?

I am a former Marine Grunt (E-5) with a 4 year degree and a current job with a regional airline 2100 TT 900 Multi. I currently live in the Lincoln, NE area. I desperately need to find something more challenging than flying for an airline and I miss the comraderie of the military and the sense of accomplishment when a mission goes as planned. Not to mention the pride of serving our country.

Thanks for any information.

T-prop
 
Last edited:

erj-145mech

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 13, 2002
Posts
1,071
Total Time
1350
Pardon my geography, but isn't Des Moines in Iowa, not in Nebraska?
 

MarineGrunt

Will kill for peace.
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Posts
1,854
Total Time
G 2/24
Devil Dog -

1 - No idea. Most units have 2 boards per year.

2 - Max age for day 1 of UPT is 30. This is waiverable if you can convince the unit you are worth the effort.

3 - Fighter units are pretty difficult to get into. The only two guard fighter dudes I know had their AFOQT and PCSM Scores of 98/98 and 99/98, so they were no dummies. Another guy I heard of graduated #1 in his dental school. I had a letter of recommendation from the former governor of the state where I applied and didn't even get a reply. Not even a "thanks, but no thanks."

You shouldn't have much trouble finding a tanker unit to take you on, as long as you are under the age requirement, then it might be a little tougher. Then again, there was a guy in my UPT class that was about 35 (maybe a little older.)

Good luck. Semper Fi.
 

T-prop

Ab Initio is the best...
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Posts
359
Total Time
4.4k
erj-145mech said:
Pardon my geography, but isn't Des Moines in Iowa, not in Nebraska?
All of my questions except the last were about the NE ANG. I was just curious about Iowa ANG, as another option. After rereading my post I can see how poorly worded is was, thankyou for pointing it out to me.

T-prop
 

T-prop

Ab Initio is the best...
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Posts
359
Total Time
4.4k
MarineGrunt said:
Devil Dog -

1 - No idea. Most units have 2 boards per year.

2 - Max age for day 1 of UPT is 30. This is waiverable if you can convince the unit you are worth the effort.

3 - Fighter units are pretty difficult to get into. The only two guard fighter dudes I know had their AFOQT and PCSM Scores of 98/98 and 99/98, so they were no dummies. Another guy I heard of graduated #1 in his dental school. I had a letter of recommendation from the former governor of the state where I applied and didn't even get a reply. Not even a "thanks, but no thanks."

You shouldn't have much trouble finding a tanker unit to take you on, as long as you are under the age requirement, then it might be a little tougher. Then again, there was a guy in my UPT class that was about 35 (maybe a little older.)

Good luck. Semper Fi.
Thanks for the information.

There was another former marine that works at my airline that got a slot with an ANG F-16 unit. That really blew my socks off. Apparently, his interview was about 30 minutes longer than the other applicants and they mostly B.S.'ed about the Marines and the airline industry. Got an acceptance call the very next day. I don't think that I'll be that lucky, but I think I'll give it a shot.

Another question that I have is that I have a disqualifying medical problem that can be waivered if the doc is willing to make the extra effort. Knowing how the military works, should I even mention it at the interview or say nothing in the hopes that if I get accepted the doc will therefore be obliged to work with me?

Semper Fi
 

MarineGrunt

Will kill for peace.
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Posts
1,854
Total Time
G 2/24
I probably wouldn't mention it unless asked. As they always taught us jarheads, "never volunteer information." - I got slapped around for that a time or two! :nuts:

What is the condition? Depending on what it is, the process may be very easy or next to impossible. I have a waiver for my EKG "right brundal branch block." No idea what that means, but after seeing a cardiologist, the waiver process was pretty quick.

Do some research. A lot of times the flight doc doesn't have a clue about the regs. I almost got DQ'ed my initial physical because I failed the depth perception test. They were starting the paperwork to terminate my application when I asked if I was able to take it again, which they allowed me to do. Luckilly, I passed. Later on, I was reading some reg on the issue and found out that if you fail the depth, you can take it again within 24hrs, and if you have glasses, (which I needed at the time) you need to wear them for the test. Kinda ticked me off that no one told me this.

but like I said, do a lot of research on your condition. Try doing a google search on "air force waivers for _____". It will probably pay off or at least speed up the process.
 

T-prop

Ab Initio is the best...
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Posts
359
Total Time
4.4k
MarineGrunt said:
I probably wouldn't mention it unless asked. As they always taught us jarheads, "never volunteer information." - I got slapped around for that a time or two! :nuts:

What is the condition? Depending on what it is, the process may be very easy or next to impossible. I have a waiver for my EKG "right brundal branch block." No idea what that means, but after seeing a cardiologist, the waiver process was pretty quick.

Do some research. A lot of times the flight doc doesn't have a clue about the regs. I almost got DQ'ed my initial physical because I failed the depth perception test. They were starting the paperwork to terminate my application when I asked if I was able to take it again, which they allowed me to do. Luckilly, I passed. Later on, I was reading some reg on the issue and found out that if you fail the depth, you can take it again within 24hrs, and if you have glasses, (which I needed at the time) you need to wear them for the test. Kinda ticked me off that no one told me this.

but like I said, do a lot of research on your condition. Try doing a google search on "air force waivers for _____". It will probably pay off or at least speed up the process.
I am unable to pass the color-dot number test. I can see only half of the numbers. I was allowed to take another "one-time" test with the FAA for my 1st class physical; which consisted of identifying random light gun signals shot from the control tower at 1000' and 1500' day and night. I passed of course, with no difficulty. For the longest time I thought I had a waiver from the FAA for it when in fact, I just had to take a different test than was offered at the AME's office.

I just bring the letter of "demonstrated ability" everytime I renew my medical which allows me to skip the color-dot test. Since color vision never deteriorates or improves throughout a human life-cycle that letter is good until I go blind.

I recently did some more research and found that the Air Force had a similar regulation. They don't allow waivers however, they do offer other tests just like the FAA, to demonstrate that I am capable of differentiating various colors. It is just a matter of either getting a doc that knows those rules or convincing him/her that they exist and helping me out. Throughout this process I have discovered that most opthamologists are as ignorant about color vision as are regular M.D.'s so it has been quite interesting. As you said, the majority of doc's will not go out of their way to help you out. So, we'll just have to see what kind of doc I'll get at the physical. Meanwhile, first things first, I need to take the AFOQT, interview, get a slot, and then worry about the medical.

One more thing, did they review your Marine Corps Service Record Book at the interview?
 

STLCFII

Active member
Joined
Jan 10, 2003
Posts
42
Total Time
900+
I interviewed up at the NE KC135 unit on Aug 20th. I'd presume that the board next year will be roughly around the same time. The POC I had was SMSgt Peggy Brown (Officer Recruiting) 800-688-2196 or 402-309-1218. Good Luck!
 

MarineGrunt

Will kill for peace.
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Posts
1,854
Total Time
G 2/24
T-prop said:
One more thing, did they review your Marine Corps Service Record Book at the interview?
Not really. The Marines sent my SRB to wherever it is that SRB's go to die when I separated. So they will never find out about all your lovely page 11's! :D No one will ever see our SRB again unless you go back in the Corps. However, the Air Force has a form called a Record of Indiviaual Person or RIP which they ask for if you are prior service. The Marine equivalant to this is you Basic Individual Record (BIR). It lists your MOS's that you held, PFT, rifle/pistol scores, etc, etc. Every guard unit I applied to asked for a RIP, so I just have them my BIR instead. You can find yours on Marine Corps Online.

I don't have any info to give you on the color test, but if you run a search on this site, I think you'll find some info on it. If you make it past your Initial Flying Class I physical, you're oof to a good start. Get by Brooks medical screening and you're golden. After that the only thing standing in your way will be the dreaded, grueling, horriffic, 6 weeks of AMS. When you finish this course, you will become one of America's most elite, ferocious, and feared soldiers. That's right... a real trained killa... "NOW DROP AND GIVE ME FIVE!!!" (seriously)

Send me a PM and I will help you out as much as I can with your application(s).
 
Last edited:

USMCAirWinger

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Posts
228
Total Time
3000
Dave

Go to ********** and you will find what you are looking for.

See ya around!
 
Last edited:

peter185

Is this low?
Joined
Mar 14, 2003
Posts
187
Total Time
3100
For DSM you have to be a resident of Iowa or one of the surrounding states. All the info is on thier website. Get to it through www.ang.af.mil and click on units, then the state of iowa.
 
Top