• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Little_Bill

Boldly Going
Hey Guys,

Just got in last night from Sun & Fun. Pretty nice show, but the crowds seemed thin from previous years.

Anyway, Thursday afternoon approx 3:00 pm we were sitting at Tony's restaurant atop Piedmont enjoying the show and taking in a few brews. I noticed N4 (FAA Citation) being preflighted and ready to be boarded. Sure enough 6 elderly people (most over the age of 60) were boarded. 10 minutes later they were off.

Well we finished lunch and I went down stairs to Piedmont and asked who boarded N4? All I got back was FAA. I asked was it the admin. or anybody higher up? Again, FAA that's all we know!

Now, I'm the last guy to biitch, but I was a little taken aback at that sight. 6 elderly people with shopping bags & such returning from the show using a Government Citation for what can only be interperted as pleasure. Plus, Lakeland in closed to all traffic during the flying routines. No takeoff or landings what so ever. But when the FAA is ready to go, everyone else had to wait. Even in the middle of some guy's aerobatic routine. It kind of felt like a slap in the face to GA.

I guess what got me so pissed was the effort we all put in to learing the arrival & departure procedures. Not wanting to F'up anything. Certainly being conscious of the times the field was open and closed during the routines etc.. Now these people come along and depart when they want and how they want! Plus, what were these Senior Citizens doing in a Government aircraft? Is there anyone that is supposed to be monitoring this?

Perhaps I couldn't actually see who was who, but all 6 were elderly, with show merchandise, boarding N4 at 3:00 pm on Thursday April 3rd.

Was this officialFAA business? Did they really have to depart in the middle of an aerobatic routine while the field was closed? Are friends and/or family allowed to utilize the birds? I'm just looking for some insight. Perhaps from others that might know. When I asked around all I kept getting was FAA business. If this was FAA business how about a little respect for GA instead of shiiting on us all of the time.

Sorry for the rant but this kind of peeved me alot. Seeing an alledgedly(sp?) blatant misuse of Government aircraft and Notams. That and the fact that the rules apply to everyone else but the ones who develop and enforce them.

But hey it's the FAA and I just fly and Aztec. :cool:

Bill

It is funny you should bring this up...

This week's Avweb: http://www.avweb.com/newswire/9_14b/complete/184217-1.html#3a

FAA Audit Reveals Improper Spending
This may come as a shock, but the U.S. government may be mismanaging your hard-earned tax dollars. The General Accounting Office (GAO) issued a report last week stemming from a federal audit triggered by improper spending by FAA officials in Alaska. According to the Associated Press, the investigation revealed that millions of dollars were involved in questionable spending elsewhere in the U.S. The GAO discovered over $6 million in improper expenditures via federally issued purchase cards. The report found that the Airways Facilities Division bought extravagant computers, a $370,000 security system that didn't work and expensive personal digital assistants for any employee requesting one. "In addition, over half of the asset purchases -- such as computers and other equipment -- that GAO examined had not been recorded in FAA's property system, increasing the risk of loss or theft," the GAO said in its report summary. Rep. Don Young (R-Alaska) asked the GAO to investigate an Alaskan office of the FAA after he was contacted by union members last May about questionable purchases there. "I do not consider gift cards to Wal-Mart and Waterford crystal to fall within the realm of legitimate government spending," Young said last week. "The committee will watch this issue closely, and I strongly encourage FAA to improve their procedures at the Alaska office and the other offices around the country," he warned.

To me it sounds like the same inspector who'll give you a line check from Nassau to Miami in thier Hawiian Shirt and Sandals to get a free ride home. :eek: :rolleyes:

--03M

DC9,

Thanks for the info.

I sent an email out to AOPA asking the same questions.

Thanks again.

Bill

N-number : N4
Aircraft Serial Number : 560-0113
Aircraft Manufacturer : CESSNA
Model : 560
Engine Manufacturer : P&W
Model : JT15D
Aircraft Year : 1992
Owner Name : CESSNA FINANCE CORPORATION
Owner Address : 220 W Douglas Ave Suite 300
Wichita, KS 67202-3106
Registration Date : 16-Jun-1992
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Standard
Approved Operations : Transport

Looks to me that according to the www.landings.com aircraft registraion database search, that the Cessna Finance Corporation owns the plane you mentioned. I don't see FAA here. I'm sure the US GOVERNMENT is LEASING the plane and that it is used in their pool of aircraft for the hauling around of US Government OFFICIALS and their GUESTS around. There could have been any number of reasons that the US Government may have been flying people into sun and fun on official business. They may have been there for other reasons and had time in the schedule to take in a few moments at the show. I have seen low "N" numbered planes at Oshkosh during EAA and was told that Hillary Clinton and relatives (this was when Bill Clinton was in office) were in town for the event. And yes, they stopped things to let the plane take off. Big deal.

I'm sure that for whatever reason that the government saw fit to have the plane at the same airport as sun and fun, that just because you saw it there (and quite possibly a few other people too), that they are not going to open up SENATE HEARINGS, because of what you thought were "OLD PEOPLE" walking around with shopping bags, getting on a plane leased for government business. As far as you know, that was George Bush Senior and his wife Barbara Bush or FOREIGN GOVERNMENT DIGNATARIES, at sun and fun as aviation related guests of our government.

I'm sure your letter writing campaign, combined with the FULL onslaught of the AOPA, EAA, FBI, Secret Service, Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Mayor Daley Campaign Fund Incorporated and the Daughters of the American Revoloution organizations, will bring about a full accounting of why a corporate JET leased by the government was out doing government business at an airport, where a large general aviation public event was being held. Shame on them. And while your at it, why don't you write a simple letter to AOPA to get them to re-open MEIGS. After all, the GOVERNMENT didn't ask your permission to do that either did they?

Chill Out

Take it easy Francis,

I admit I was and still am a little peeved. But a letter writing campaign and Government inquiry? Come on I'm far from a Michael Moore and Watergate this isn't!

I was just asking for some insight from guys here or possibly elsewhere. That's all. You gave some good feedback and a view from a different perspective. Thank you very much.

You might want to control your tone though. There's a strong sense of anger in your post. :mad: Besides, if I wasn't such a seasoned New Yorker, I'd say there was sarcasm all over your post. ;)

Again, thanks for the different angle.

Bill

hahahaha! FINALY!

It takes a NEW YORKER, to get my sarcastic sense of humor...I can't believe it...somebody actually got it!

God Bless you man! Your response brought a tear to my eye and a smile to my face!

Have a good sunday and good luck on your quest to find out why the gubment was spending the little people's money at sun and fun.

No problem,

Hey, maybe I should call Michael Moore. No.. wait a minute I still think he's an A**Hole.

Thanks again Wright.

Bill

Methinks Little Bill is far more upset about "elderly People" (why some were over 60!!) flying a jet than he was about the funding for it. I guess the FAA's airplanes are supposed to sit at DCA gathering dust instead of being used for transport and training. The FAA is the main reason Sun 'n' Fun exists, and I for one am glad the "elderly" regulators are out using the system.

Latest resources

Back