• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Motorcycle insurance

ILLINI

Total Time
++++
I am shopping around to find an insurance company for a motorcycle. Can anyone recommend one in the Chicago area? I am 25 with a clean driving record and am looking for something INEXPENSIVE as I will only be riding for pleasure. Being a pilot, the key word here is "inexpensive"!

Thanks!

ILS JNKY

Sea Plane Pilots Assoc
Total Time
insurance

Check out a company called Dairy Land, do mainly Harleys

Slow claim service till you get a supervisor in volved, then went fast.:cool:

ILLINI

Total Time
++++
Most of the insurance companies i've called for quotes go through Dairy Land for their motorcycle insurance. I'm a "new" motorcycle driver and unfortunately they want 5 years of motorcycle experience in order to be insured. That's kinda hard for me to do unless I get that insurance though:rolleyes:. Maybe i'll just have to bend the truth a little;)

I appreciate the advice though!

usairpit

Total Time
Check state farm.You do have to have auto with them to get motorcycle insur.I just renewed mine,it only goes by cc, not if its a sport bike or high risk bike.I paid $147 for the whole year on a 1992 CBR 600 and Im 30yrs old,and only $195 when I was 20.Hope that helps

DCitrus9

Son of a son of a sailor
Total Time
>12K
I used progressive, and they were competitie with Dairy Land. The price also varies if you want to buy additional/optional coverage like medical payment or underinsured motorist.
For the normal coverage I paid 330 (dairy land wanted 350)on a new 750 shadow spirit, but I live in Atlanta. When I was in Iowa it was half that amount for a sport bike- go figure.
Good luck

cherokee

Total Time
6000+
5 years of experinece to get insurance!!?! It isn't a frickin' space shuttle!! I guess that requires either a. lying or b. going without insurance for 5 years. Pretty amazing considering insurance on cars is available from day 1 to almost anyone and poses more of a risk to others in terms of liability.

ILLINI

Total Time
++++
cherokee, I couldn't agree with you more! I was shocked to hear that I needed 5 years of exp. before they would insure me. I was getting ready to bend the truth a little, but found Progressive was easier to insure a rider. Think I may go with them.