• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MESA strikes again- Jet blast injuries at ORD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No big suprise.... I got jet blasted by mesa's ERJ-145 in DCA on the commuter ramp while doing the walk around.

Do those 145's need that much power to turn around? Always wondered why those aircraft get so reved up just to turn in the commuter ramp.

The CRJ turns just find with minimal speed and power at idle.

3 hurt in O'Hare jet blast

By Josh Noel
Tribune staff reporter
Published October 19, 2006, 11:26 AM CDT

Two disembarking passengers and an airline baggage handler were injured at O'Hare International Airport this morning when they were struck by a luggage cart that was knocked over by the blast from a jet engine from a plane on the tarmac, authorities said.

The accident occurred about 8:20 a.m. at gate F1 outside Terminal 2, according to Chicago Department of Aviation spokeswoman Wendy Abrams.

The baggage handler was reported in serious condition and taken to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, according to the Chicago Fire Department.

The passengers were less seriously hurt, Abrams said. One of them refused treatment. The other was taken to Resurrection Medical Center in Chicago.

(Earlier, the Department of Aviation had reported that all three of the injured persons were O'Hare workers.)

The mishap came as passengers were deplaning a SkyWest Airlines jet via a stairway onto the tarmac, Abrams said. A jet blast from an incoming Mesa Airlines jet that was heading to a gate knocked over a baggage cart serving the SkyWest flight, she said.

"It's too soon to speculate how the incident occurred," she said, saying the Department of Aviation and the involved airlines were investigating.

She said it was unclear whether the cart or the incoming jet were in areas they should not have been.

I had a Mesa plane do a crossbleed start with us pushing behind them in the F alley at ORD. They didn't bother to ask ramp control for permission.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...76.story?coll=chi-news-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

MESA blows down baggage cart at ORD and injures workers and passengers.

When I've been at ORD, I can't remember how many times I've been unfortunate to be behind one of those idiots in the alley and when he gets his taxi clearance, proceeds to jam the thrust levers up blasting everything behind him in a swirl of dust and fod.

You can tell way too much thrust is used because the airplane rapidly accelerates to an excessive taxi speed screeching around the corner. You can almost see the F/A tumbling down the isle thru the windows.

I've concluded most of them aren't pilots but "airplane operators"............ham-fisted punks.

You'd think the F/O's would say something, but I guess 500 hours, a backpack and an ipod don't help.

When I've been at ORD, I can't remember how many times I've been unfortunate to be behind one of those idiots in the alley and when he gets his taxi clearance, proceeds to jam the thrust levers up blasting everything behind him in a swirl of dust and fod.

You can tell way too much thrust is used because the airplane rapidly accelerates to an excessive taxi speed screeching around the corner. You can almost see the F/A tumbling down the isle thru the windows.

I've concluded most of them aren't pilots but "airplane operators"............ham-fisted punks.

You'd think the F/O's would say something, but I guess 500 hours, a backpack and an ipod don't help.

You make excellent points. I have ridden out of the express operation over in the F alley before. It is bit of an airshow departure by those guys for sure. Just another sign of the times.

No big suprise.... I got jet blasted by mesa's ERJ-145 in DCA on the commuter ramp while doing the walk around.

Do those 145's need that much power to turn around? Always wondered why those aircraft get so reved up just to turn in the commuter ramp.

The CRJ turns just find with minimal speed and power at idle.

Used to work ramp for Eagle and CHQ....They always turned out on one engine (started engine in the direction of turn so jet blast wouldnt hit the gate)..This usually took about 65% N1 from what is sounded like.

3 hurt in O'Hare jet blast

"It's too soon to speculate how the incident occurred," she said, saying the Department of Aviation and the involved airlines were investigating.

The Department of Aviation knows all- BEWARE!

As a side, we hardstand in MKE, and the rampers are supposed to look around for hazards. They do okay most all of the time. Maybe the airplane did use too much power, but the ground crew should be paying attention as well.

Latest resources

Back