Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PositionandHold

Truthiness
I skimmed through a Flight Training Magazine article today written by a private pilot who apparently made a night flight somewhere in Florida and I couldn't believe the language he was using to describe VORs.

Basically, the guy said that the preferred method of navigation during training was his GPS (what kind of CFI would make the GPS a primary nav instrument? Am I just old fashioned?), so when the airplane he rented didn't have GPS, he had to bring along a batter powered one.

Well, when he was getting ready for his return trip at night, the GPS battereies were dead, so he actually debated not going at all (not because he really needed the backup, but because he just didn't seem to be that proficient with VOR nav). When he did get in the air, he basically implied that he was surprised that the VORs actually worked, and as though it was a burden to have to use VORs.

At he end, he said something to the effect of "they really work!"

Obviously, if he said something like that, he didn't do much VOR work during his training, (if any at all, who knows. Checkrides aren't as standardized as they look).

So I'm sitting here wondering, are the new CFI's nowadays just not teaching the essentials? We're not talking about ADFs here, we're talking about VORs. A few of our airplanes here have G430's, but I don't let students touch them until VOR flying becomes second nature to them and at that point, they only use it as a backup and don't actually couple it to the CDI. I've flown several times at night and in IMC with nothing but VORs, and I trust them. Especially if I have two, I use the other as a backup.

I think the new generation of pilots are becoming a breed of babies. If you can't fly without your colorful moving map display and your cute Cirrus autopilot and parachute, maybe you shouldn't be flying airplanes by yourself.

To be sure, I don't blame the pilot who wrote the article. I commend him for writing about it. I do, however, blame his CFI for pumping out a GPS-dependent student. I also have nothing against GPS, I think they are a great tool to use as a backup.

Reminds me of a guy at our FBO who owns a Cirrus and couldn't fly an approach without his autopilot. The idiot actually thought they'd let him use the autopilot to fly the approaches on his IR Checkride.

/End Rant

Last edited:
I am in between. The 'old school' instructors often don't teach enough of the technology available to the student, while the 'new school' instructors often skip the basics that are overshadowed by technology these days.

So we need a 'middle school'.

I don't think you should let your student go without knowing how to navigate using ground based aids. A great backup to pilotage, DR. I also don't think you should let them go without knowing how to use GPS, or moving maps.

VORs don't work everywhere, GPS doesn't work everywhere, so until something perfect comes along, both should be used.

Maybe the author wasn't instrument rated? I just wrapped up my instrument rating here in FL a few months ago and I never once used a gps for navigation and have yet to actually shoot a gps approach. I honestly would need an instructor to walk me through one because I have never been formally taught. And even though NDBs are going away and aren't as common today as they once were, I still had shoot one on my checkride (and hold over it).

It appears that this author was writing to an audience of non instrument rated pilots and probably made it a point to stress that VORs are in fact, a reliable and accurate form of navigation. Many of today's weekend warriors are GPS dependant due to it's ease of use and the lack of flight planning and thought required. Many of them use GPS for airspace avoidance as a moving map takes all the stress and worry out of busting restricted areas or unknowingly tooling on through the edge of a class B. Silly? Yes. But I will admit that VOR navigation was NOT emphasized in my private training nealy as much as pilotage and DR was. Hell, back then I only used to use VORs if they were on the field at my destination.

I don't think that VOR navigation is strongly emphasized until students begin working on their IR. That is when it really gets drilled into their heads how to navigate with basic equipment.

Some hold VORs in the same light you hold GPS. ;)

When I was teaching I would always either cover/turn off the GPS in order to force reliance on dead reaconing/ pilotage / VORs. Just prior to out of the pattern solo I would give a basic intro to the GPS incase they got a little lost.
During cross country I would go deeper into GPS.

Its a great tool but it very quickly becomes a crutch at the expense of more basic pilot skills.

Of course this comes from the guy who gets pissed off when he has to fly a 737 round dial vs a NG with a moving map.... its all relative I guess.

Some CFI's aren't even teaching students how to TUNE the radios!

I just did a PPL finish up course with a guy who owned his own beautiful 172N. Great airplane. He came to me with over 60 total hours, around 28 of which were solo.

I flew commercial out to him so we could fly back to KC together in his plane. I asked him to tune to approach so we could get flight following. He then proceeded to ask me how to tune the radio.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. His previous instructor told him that he had to learn how to aviate first, then navigate and communicate. Funny how he signed him off for solo at 3 different airports.

Now at days, GPS is so realiable that its become a primary form of navigation. More and more CFIs are teaching it in conjunction with VOR flying. And why not? If you have something to make your life easier why not use it. Some newer aircraft use the GPS screen for tuning the radios so you can't help but to use it. If you look at PPL training books, more and more are devoting chapters to GPS flying. You have to remember that VOR flying is not all that important during private training. Back when I was training, VOR was briefly covered. Tuning the obs, intercepting radials, and tracking. The rest is up to the student.

Last edited:
CX880 said:
Now at days, GPS is so realiable that its become a primary form of navigation. More and more CFIs are teaching it in conjunction with VOR flying. And why not?

I still haven't done much with the GPS, and don't really plan to until I'm done with my IR checkride in a few weeks. I don't have enough experience to say either way regarding what's best, but I've found that my reliance upon VORs and (gasp!) even NDBs for my paltry 200 hrs of flying none glass panels has helped my situational awareness immensely for inst training. Without having a look down GPS plan view, I'm getting to the point where I can see the plan view just fine in my head.

Like you said, these days it's probably not as important, but I want to fly freight after instructing - I'm not counting on those planes having GPS and glass cockpits.

Latest resources

Back