Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
Can anyone recommend a good cleaner for Lear windshields and where do you order it from. Also, if anyone would recommend some type of disposable paper towels that won't damage the windshields in the process. Just restocking supplies and thought I'd ask about products/vendors. Please be specific...

Thanks in advance...

If you read your manual, you see that it says to use a lint-free cloth and a solution of water and alcohol. (50/50).

Unless you are a mechanic and know how clean and care for them properly....I don't think you can afford it.

They are made of accrylic and scratch extremely easily.

I am sorry if I sound like an a-hoo, but I have seen what happens when someone who does not know what they are dealing with.

If I were you, I would have a plastic placard made up that says "DO NOT CLEAN WINDSHIELD" and place it on the glareshield when you leave the plane so the line service guy does not come by with some MEK and a shop rag and jack you windshield up.

If you are intent on cleaning it on the road, I would recomend you take with you a bottle of water (drinking water is fine bottled water...lol) and a box of KAY DRY tissues.
Pour the water on the top of the windshield and let it flow down, pulling off any large particles. Open the KAY DRY tissue and fold it into quarters, start at the top of the screen and wipe down....always down and NEVER side to side. Side to side wipping will leave scratches that you will be able to see from inside the cockpit when the sun hits it. Wipping down, if you do scratch, will not likely be seen from inside. (polarized lense).

Wipe down, flip the tissue over, wipe again, flip the tissue over to a clean area, wipe down, and then throw away the tissue. Use more water if needed.

Water and tissues are cheap compared to the cost of a new windshield.
I have not prices a lear whindshield lately but it will be upwards of about $35,000. plus the maintenance.

GATOR
Certified Challenger Windsheild Cleaner
(lol...no joke)

Please use approved cleaners

We use Prist window cleaner on our Learjet 45 glass windshields and it is approved in the Maintenance manual. I am not sure if it is approved on the other Learjet acrylic type windows...I think it is.

To CYA use the APPROVED CLEANERS IN THE MM...NOT PLEDGE unless it is approved!

my 2 cents!

I have used pledge on the Lear plastic windshields for over ten years with no problems. Personally I believe it is better than any of the reccomended cleaners out there. The windshields have always passed inspection, with the only exception being the windshield that had a crack from a couple of the bolt holes due to the installer using the recommended drill size to originally drill the bolt holes. If a slightly large drill bit is used, the cracking in those areas is all but eliminated.

Personally I found that pledge also filled in the fine scratches the these windshields seem to always develop.

Latest resources

Back