Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

passion4flying

Hey all,

Can anybody with Lear24a experience give me insight on that specific airplane. I am looking for performance numbers. Fuel flow numbers. range. and anything about that type would be helpful. I appreciate it.

Passion

only flew the 24 a few times, but 20 series numbers are pretty similar.

Fuel burns would be 2200 first hour, 2000 second hour, etc. certified to 450 or 510 depending on pressurization system. cruise at mach .78 normal cruise (440 knots), Mmo or .82

i know the 25D carried 6000 of gas and i read somewhere it had a range of 1450 miles. um, no. in practical terms, you could do that if you pulled it back to max range cruise, flamed out at 450 and glided it in to land. 1000 miles was more realistic, and that's pushing your reserves. in the 24, i believe the rule of thumb was be on the ground at the two hour mark, period.

24's a twichy ba$tard at altitude, but an absolute rocket ship. 7000 fpm + on takeoff with a light load, you'll overspeed at 410 if you don't pull the power off immediately when you level out...

hope this helps.

The 24A has to be treated with respect. As an early 24 is still carries over much of the 23. The later 24's systems tended toward the 25 systems. Not so many surprises. Like c/b's in the hell hole. The 24 carries 5590 lbs of fuel. There is not really a 24A, it went from 24 to 24B. Also be careful as there are several 23's out there that have been converted to 24s. Many of these owners call them 24s, but some of the systems are different. And it could bite you.

For fuel burn, I use 2000 the 1st hr, 1700 the 2nd and 1500 the 3rd. You can get 3 hours out of the aircraft, but you have to watch your operating procedures and watch your fuel flows. I can't find it and it has been awhile since I have flown a 23 or straight 24, but I seem to recall that the 23 and early 24s were limited to FL410.

As for range 1000nm is reasonably doable without an alternate. Depending on the winds. On takeoff, you have to get the flaps and gear up rather quickly or you will overspeed them. Also if you keep the power up, at the cost of fuel economy, you can get in excesive 10,000 FPM light and cool.

Rick1128 said:
The 24 carries 5590 lbs of fuel.

For fuel burn, I use 2000 the 1st hr, 1700 the 2nd and 1500 the 3rd. You can get 3 hours out of the aircraft,

OK, if my math is correct, using YOUR number, after flying 3 hours (which you claim you can/have done) you are landing with 390 lbs. total in the tanks... (5590 - 2000 - 1700 - 1500 = 390) :eek:

Call me what you want, but that is nuts (and illegal) because even using your numbers VFR you would have to have 750 lbs in the tanks (which is still nuts!) when I flew the Lear 35 (which is much more fuel conservative) we used to shoot for 1500 lbs on landing but would go as low as 1200 lbs. :rolleyes:

First of all those are flight planning numbers. As we all know some airplanes do a little better in the fuel department that others. And that is among the same type. Many of the long time 20 drivers will plan for a fuel stop one place, but if everything is right continue on. Step climbing when they get lighter, etc. But each airplane is different. In the LR20s I personally have seen as much as 500 pph difference between same model aircraft at the same weight, altitude and temp. Until one really know that particular aircraft, they need to be conservative.

WARNING * THREAD HIJACK * WARNING

Falcon Capt,
Nice Avatar!!
Glad to see you've finally gotten your priorities in order!!:p
Have to say thats one helluva machine you've got there. Looks big enough to more than a few slabs all at one time. Maybe even big enough to feed 10 - 12 of your closest board buddies.
Can anyone say party!!! :D

lol...I think it's funny that essentially every thread on the corporate board eventually turns into a discussion about BBQ.

Awesome.

Re: WARNING * THREAD HIJACK * WARNING

rice said:
Falcon Capt,
Nice Avatar!!
Glad to see you've finally gotten your priorities in order!!:p
Have to say thats one helluva machine you've got there. Looks big enough to more than a few slabs all at one time. Maybe even big enough to feed 10 - 12 of your closest board buddies.
Can anyone say party!!! :D

HAHAHAHA!!!! You guys are killing me... "THREAD HIJACK" ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

I am currently in counseling for Obsessive Compulsive BBQing.... It is a 57 step program, I think the slabs of ribs I smoked the other night were step 3! Did them with Hickory... I think Applewood is step 6!!!

I believe all 20 series are certified to 450 whether or not if they have the 450 or the 510 cabin. At some point they decided it wasnt a good idea or something, not sure though..

Most 20 series can make it to the 3 hour mark, but you have to have the gear down with a landing clearance, and thats landing with a 1000 lbs, not the best thing to do I must say.

This goes without saying, they are quite enjoyable to fly, but after about 2 hours, I ready to get out, which also goes without saying, you know, the fuel thing.

LR25, please note the LR23 is a 410 aircraft. I found my book and found that the 24s before sn 134 were originally certified to only 410, but some had been modified with a bob weight to allow the aircraft to fly upon 450. Not all of them are so modified. So you might want to watch what aircraft you got.

Some 20s are certified for 510, however they are later aircraft with the 8A engines and a stall box installed on the engine. What the stall box does is when you slow below I believe .72m the ignitors come on. I have flown a 24 certified for 510, it takes forever to get there. You have just about got to be out of fuel and it is next to impossible to get down.

Latest resources

Back