Las Vegas Crash, RIP Bill Leahy Fellow Ferry Pilot!!!!

NW_Pilot

Total Time
2500+
This is # 4 in one year that I personally have known!!!!

http://www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8925033&nav=menu102_2

We're learning more about the pilot of the plane that crashed into a neighborhood near the North Las Vegas Airport from his mother.

He was an veteran airman who made a living transporting airplanes over long distances. He was also a family man.

The pilot's name was Bill Leahy. He lived in Redwood City, California, and was married with three children, ranging in age from 5 to 11.

Leahy's mother, Jean, told us by phone the entire family loved aviation. "It is very important to the family -- there are three pilots, and they just have a long history of interest of aviation."

Bill Leahy was at the controls when the plane he was flying crashed into the house. Friday, the National Transportation Safety Board confirmed Leahy was on a transport mission.

The passenger seats had been torn out of the plane -- extra fuel tanks were put onboard -- and it was eventually going to be flown to Korea.

"We have been in contact with the coroner and that's really the only official that I have had a chance to really deal with. My husband and his father-in-law -- [Bill's] dad and his father-in-law -- are in Las Vegas right now looking at the site and trying to find some answers as to what happened," she said.

Leahy's mother says transporting planes is what her son did for a living. "This is something that we have prayed about for a long time, knowing that he is doing something that is very high risk when he puts a lot of aviation fuel into an extra tank in the aircraft so that he can either across the Pacific -- or around the Pacific -- from stop to stop to get aviation fuel. That is a dangerous, risky proposition so we've been concerned about this for a long time."

The NTSB says those extra, internal, fuel tanks did not contain fuel at the time of Thursday's accident. The plane was en route only to Redwood City and was going to be flown to Korea at some point in the future.

According to his own website -- pilot Bill Leahy attended the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. His father worked for several commercial airlines -- and his sister is currently a captain for Southwest Airlines based in Chicago.